• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anyone running a aftermarket Y pipe?

Y

yzviper366

Aug 15, 2012
Bismarck, ND
Just looking around seen BMP is offering a Y pipe along with straight Line Performance. Anyone running the Y pipe? Notice any gains? Is it worth it?

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
I ran the SPI Y/Can and 1 degree of timing for a solid 6-7 hp at 8000 rpm, with proper clutching (SHR) its a pretty solid bolt on bump...

IN field testing shows 1-2 sled lengths over stock before clutching, picked up 100 rpm and likes 7900-8000...

doo updates especially the motor mount shims-BJ

Last edited:
Y

yzviper366

Aug 15, 2012
Bismarck, ND
I ran the SPI Y/Can and 1 degree of timing for a solid 6-7 hp at 8000 rpm, with proper clutching (SHR) its a pretty solid bolt on bump...

doo updates especially the motor mount shims-BJ

How do you get the 1 degree timing I guess I didn't see anything on there website talking about that?

dave@trygstadmotorsports

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2012
www.trygstad-motorsports.com
Y-Pipes

Just looking around seen BMP is offering a Y pipe along with straight Line Performance. Anyone running the Y pipe? Notice any gains? Is it worth it?

We have done a ton of Dyno work on the G4-850-927 here at TMS since we have had one in our shop since March 2016 to develop products and our exclusive TMS 927.

Many claims on the Y-Pipes out there as we tested two that were available last season along with tweeking on the stock one also,
Save your $ as we found the crew at BRP did there homework again on the production Y-Pipe, exhaust and Factory Muffler Package.

Dave Trygstad
Trygstad Motorsports
Your Leader in Rotax Performance and Development.

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
funny

I have run the SPI Y/Can/timing/clutching and destroy stock sleds....

BUT you cant beat the stock set up??

OKAY:face-icon-small-dis:face-icon-small-dis:face-icon-small-dis-BJ

dave@trygstadmotorsports

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2012
www.trygstad-motorsports.com
We have done a ton of Dyno work on the G4-850-927 here at TMS since we have had one in our shop since March 2016 to develop products and our exclusive TMS 927.

Many claims on the Y-Pipes out there as we tested two that were available last season along with tweeking on the stock one also,
Save your $ as we found the crew at BRP did there homework again on the production Y-Pipe, exhaust and Factory Muffler Package.

Dave Trygstad
Trygstad Motorsports
Your Leader in Rotax Performance and Development.

We actually did a ton of field testing of products in the mountains on the G-4 850 and the TMS 927 with aftermarket exhaust components and came up with the same results!

Under hood heat temps add to a lot of issues created with anything other than stock especially on G-4.

Parts Changers (resellers) will claim anything just for a sale :face-icon-small-coo

Dave Trygstad

duncan76

Lifetime Membership
Aug 16, 2013
central 509
funny

I have run the SPI Y/Can/timing/clutching and destroy stock sleds....

BUT you cant beat the stock set up??

OKAY:face-icon-small-dis:face-icon-small-dis:face-icon-small-dis-BJ

Well lets be fare to the consumer topic was just the y pipe not the other things you listed. I'm quite sure with addition to that y pipe it does run better but with just the y pipe would it? Just saying.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
Just a heads up -- a well set up sled with proper suspension and clutching will kill a stocker any day never mind engine mods , ad a good rider and :face-icon-small-hap

Lets call a spade a spade Y pipes allone do nothing at all.
I think we can put this one to bed to much evidence here.

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
to be fair...

the best ypipe on a 800etec is 2-3 hp...
and that is a fact and obviously a minimal increase by itself...
NOBODY won a race with just a 800etec Ypipe...

what's funny is a certain fella claiming the same thing (y pipes dont work on 800s) is now REselling someone elses...

it is rarely 1 single item that does make a difference, what does is a combination like a Y,can,timing and proper clutching (vs a couple bolts from ACE hardware) so when a guy wants a simple "tune up" he needs to address several areas (not even counting chassis, gearing,shocks) to see a gain on the lake or mountain...

hence the 1/2 mile field in front of my shop and 6 trips outwest testing/tuning/fixing the 850...

since 2001 I have been on here solving/fixing/improving/helping summits...2018 is no different-BJ

did I mention I have the ONLY in sled/on the hill adjustable clutch weights for the 850??!!:face-icon-small-coo

Premium Features