• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2018 SKI-DOO SUMMIT/FREERIDE DRIVELINE UPDATES AND 2017 BELT DURABILITY IMPROVEMENTS

Skidoox

Lifetime Membership
Sep 4, 2001
Provo, UT
2018 SKI-DOO SUMMIT/FREERIDE DRIVELINE UPDATES AND 2017 BELT DURABILITY IMPROVEMENTS

You might recall that for Model Year 2018, BRP announced changes to Ski-Doo REV Gen4 snowmobiles proven to increase drive belt durability – these are recapped here:

 New gearing (Summit and Freeride)
 New belt
 Better cooling in CVT compartment - New Clutch cover with improved flow
 Revised PTO and MAG engine mounts
 Revised CVT Calibration
 Finned fixed pDrive sheave
 Frame reinforcement (directs air flow for better cooling) on mountain sleds

Also, as promised, we are updating you on steps we’ve taken for Model Year 2017 REV Gen4 owners
that experienced early belt failure, and those are outlined below.

For Summit 2017 REV Gen4 owners who’ve experienced early belt failure, BRP will provide, the following updates:

 Gear ratio change (21 top/53 bottom)
 PTO Engine Mount Shims

Those updates will be available, at no cost for the customer, on both 154” and 165” platforms.
Combined with the new belt (part number 417 300 531), they will significantly improve belt life and
lower driveline temperatures.

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
Can you elaborate more on what / why the new 531 belt is an improvement please? Such as what was changed, improved, revised, new composition etc?

Thank you

Andystoy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2016
As an owner of a 850X165x3" I agree that the reduction in gearing and shimming the PTO side of the motor mounts at BRP cost is a small (very small) step by BRP care to make good on their promise to take care of the 2017 owners. I am very disappointed that they chose not to include a Cvt recalibration at their expense which I believe would have been the best bang for the buck because "sleds require different calibrations for different areas. " I agree that different areas and elevations will require slightly different calibrations but choosing to do nothing in this area tells me that BRP dosen't care nearly as much after the 2018 snowchecks were in.
The recall should include an exchange for the upgraded belt which can handle more heat before pulling a cord. You will recall the ad said cooler running belt temperatures with the new P drive (didn'the mention that it included the factory wobble) not to mention the 40% reduction in oil useage that mysteriously didn't happen either.
Someone should do a survey of the owners of the 2017 850 Summits; to provide BRP care some feedback of how we feel after the BRP mini recall: completely satisfied or disappointed. I would go on record as disappointed because I still don't know if I have "one of the few problem sleds" because I haven't had a chance to ride the "steep and deep ". I understood the hazards of buying a first year model of sled and would do it again but with less optimizm that BRP would get it right.JMO.:face-icon-small-fro

rmk all the way

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Dayton Wa
I was at the dealer and the new finned inner clutch sheave is 360 bucks. It would be nice if brp would have gave it to us for free but I would have been ok if they sold it to us for cost and not a huge mark up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
I was at the dealer and the new finned inner clutch sheave is 360 bucks. It would be nice if brp would have gave it to us for free but I would have been ok if they sold it to us for cost and not a huge mark up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What did the old version cost? Is the new design more expensive?

Premium Features