• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

G4 secondary clutching

T
Feb 8, 2010
Nelson, B.C.
I'm in the process of deciding what to do about secondary clutching for my 17 G4 154. Primary has new spring with more pin weight and just picked up the 039 spring when I realized I needed to pull the shaft and secondary clutch as one unit I thought maybe it's a good time to look at options. I'm looking at a floater secondary and have looked at doodoc, Team and Skidoo....skidoo being the cheapest, however price is not the most important thing. with running either the doodoctor or the skidoo I can run stock skidoo items so I can run the 039 spring, now the issue of a good helix comes into play.

What are people finding that works best for these sleds? I run 5-8000 ft. Northwest snow.
Typically I've run progressive helixes however I am by no means a doo expert so open to options, I was thinking something along the lines of a 42/38, 44/36?

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
I'm in the process of deciding what to do about secondary clutching for my 17 G4 154. Primary has new spring with more pin weight and just picked up the 039 spring when I realized I needed to pull the shaft and secondary clutch as one unit I thought maybe it's a good time to look at options. I'm looking at a floater secondary and have looked at doodoc, Team and Skidoo....skidoo being the cheapest, however price is not the most important thing. with running either the doodoctor or the skidoo I can run stock skidoo items so I can run the 039 spring, now the issue of a good helix comes into play.

What are people finding that works best for these sleds? I run 5-8000 ft. Northwest snow.
Typically I've run progressive helixes however I am by no means a doo expert so open to options, I was thinking something along the lines of a 42/38, 44/36?

for your elevations stay with a 40/#039 and the doo doctor floater...
all tuning is in the primary...
what spring/stock weights or aftermarket?-BJ

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
ok
use click 2 or 3 only (2 for low elevation trail) 3 for any powder or the higher elevations...

keep rpm at 7800-7900 add weight as needed to cross bolt...

adj belt so you see the chord or as needed, tighter is better than looser-BJ

Specialty Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2017
Specialty Motorsports has Chromoly Jackshaft’s for the Skidoo Gen 4 to fit Team secondary clutches. Weight 4.3 lbs, $
4675c1c8ba6c73f6c354a90ea0be7907.jpg
549.95 Contact us for for more info.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
In my experience stick with the qrs, Ive owned a Tss-04 and a tied.
The only benefit to a team on a doo is the ease in floating the sec.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rooster Built

Lifetime Membership
Sep 19, 2008
The mountains of WA, OR, ID, BC
Tchriste,
Floating the secondary has on the surface a few upsides. Easy clutch removal for servicing and tweaking, reduced belt temps by allowing the clutch to freely move back and forth and having the adjusting ability to align the two clutches. There are a few things however that sometimes get overlooked. 1. Rotating mass is increased by 1.5 to 2.0lbs depending on which kit you select. 2. (Shameless plug...haha)The need to remove the clutch for tweaking can be solved by choosing a reputable clutch tuner and getting a setup for your type of riding and altitude. 3. We have not seen the need to adjust the secondary/primary alignment since the days of the first gen xp. We are not saying someone shouldn’t purchase a floater but instead want to inform people that there are some other things to consider when contemplating this purchase.

Last edited:

mtncat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2001
Wyoming
rotating mass so close to centerline would go unnoticed with a shaft change, only affect would be added dead weight, as far as clutching there are good tuners out there that will help without all the secret repainted springs, special codes on helix, cam arms, ramps so when you do have a issue it opens up your opportunity for more input and help to resolve the problem

T
Feb 8, 2010
Nelson, B.C.

So thought I'd up-date I decided to not float the secondary, I wasn't one of the belt eaters. What I did do was run the 039 spring with a Dalton 44/36 helix and a set of Hi-torque rollers. In the primary I have the 150/350 spring and the 990 weights running at 86.5 grams total weight. Last year with the 967 weights clutch engagement was very harsh, not so with the 990 weights. Yesterday's shakedown run in 3 ft of Northwest concrete was very promising, clutching felt very good and with the new gearing (21/53) I was very happy. I was only pulling 7800 RPM however I am breaking in a new motor and still have 65% left, I was one of the ones that lost a motor last year and I know that when the motor finishes break-in the RPM will go up at least it did on my first motor. I'm still on my original belt at 1,100 Km.
Both clutches are running about the same temp, last year the primary was substantially hotter than the secondary, this is only hand testing so I can grab and hold both clutches with no issues where as last year I couldn't hold my hand on the primary.
At first I was a little hesitant about the new gearing however not any more, it working very well in the conditions we were in yesterday and quite frankly it's a Summit not a trail sled.

Premium Features