• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Bad Voltage Regualtor or Stator????

D

Drewd

Feb 2, 2012
Colorado
www.imnotrightinthehead.com
8 hours on engine post rebuild,about 1 mile from trail head after 5 hours of riding today, lost headlights, all gauges (no rpm, no speedometer) and engine dies 30 seconds afterwards or when trying to increase rpm. It won't restart immediately

Allow sled to sit for about 15 minutes and sled starts easily and everything works again only for the above issue to repeat itself not too long afterwards.

I noticed that my brake light bulb is burned out but not sure if that is a coincidence or not.

I was thinking voltage regulator that seems to short out internally when it gets hot.

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated.Chassis has about 100 hours on it and I'm thinking that the IQ VR's don't seem to last much longer.

XCaSSAULT

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2016
Also check the back of the ecu and make sure there is no bubbling or "heat" looking damage. I've read a lot about how the ecu goes down after the voltage reg. Especially if u try and make the thing run on a bad volt reg to get back to the truck. Hope this isn't your case but check out for sure as u could replace the volt reg and if ecu is bad it could lean u out and make motor damage.

Dazzler

Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2009
Cochrane Ab
Also check the back of the ecu and make sure there is no bubbling or "heat" looking damage. I've read a lot about how the ecu goes down after the voltage reg. Especially if u try and make the thing run on a bad volt reg to get back to the truck. Hope this isn't your case but check out for sure as u could replace the volt reg and if ecu is bad it could lean u out and make motor damage.

Typically the sled is on a rope if the ECU is burnt up. If you continue trying to run the motor with a bad voltage regulator you will likely fry it.

D

Drewd

Feb 2, 2012
Colorado
Thanks for the great feedback, much appreciated!

Sled runs and sounds great when the VR is cold. It seems to cut out when it warms up a bit. Will have to take sled off of trailer and put it in garage. Gonna try to winch it in with ATV in garage so as not to risk damaging the ECU. Sled fires up on first and sometimes second pull when cold.

I'm buying 2 VRS. One is a used good one from a vendor and second one is brand new. Will keep it on me as a spare as I can't spare losing an engine many miles from trail head.

XCaSSAULT

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2016
As a precaution on my sled, I removed the capacitor from the top of the volt reg and zip tied it to the top of the plastic belt holder/electronics cover and put a couple washers under the volt reg mounts for better air flow. I read a post where guys were saying that the volt reg was running 200 plus degrees! And after mods I mentioned was down around 130. Having a clean ground and a extra ground ran to the motor mount isn't a bad idea either.

Last edited:
D

Drewd

Feb 2, 2012
Colorado
Got new (used) VR installed, and it fire up on first pull. I put all electrical devices on high such as grip/thumb throttle warmers and ran engine for about 10 minutes. Boy, that VR sure does get warm quick.

I read that folks have been moving the capacitor and placing a 70mm computer cooling on top of them to promote airflow and cooing really extends their life. Gonna try it when I get some extra time.

Dazzler

Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2009
Cochrane Ab
Just a note, there have been a couple "updated" VR's since 08/09 due to early failures, so your used VR you purchased may be of the earlier production.

HalfBrit

Lifetime Membership
Dec 26, 2013
nw oregon
I just picked up an 08 d800. It has a new VR and ECU. I remember reading a year or so ago about someone putting a 2 wire universal VR on as well as the factory one. The spare universal one takes some load off of the factory one. Has anyone else heard this and can verify? I ordered one off ebay for $15. Seems like cheap insurance.

D

Drewd

Feb 2, 2012
Colorado
Not sure about a second VR to reduce the load on the factory one. If I were to put a second VR, it would on the power going to the ECu so that if a failure caused voltage to go high, it would shunt the excess voltage to the ground.

HalfBrit

Lifetime Membership
Dec 26, 2013
nw oregon
Not sure about a second VR to reduce the load on the factory one. If I were to put a second VR, it would on the power going to the ECu so that if a failure caused voltage to go high, it would shunt the excess voltage to the ground.
That's what I was thinking. I just wasn't sure if one would fight the other or one would help the other? It seems as if they would both have to have precisely the same voltage cutoff to work together. Otherwise, one would do all the shunting until it burned out then the next highest voltage one would take over.

Premium Features