• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Pro Armor Tether

A
Jan 16, 2008
wouldn't using heat shrink prevent the moisture issue?

I soldered and heat shrinked all the connections when I did mine back in 2011and never had an issue. I'm not the best at soldering either.

replaced the entire handlebar setup. Soldered new connections for kill switch, reverse, headlight, tether, and grip heaters.

dgibbons

Lifetime Membership
Jan 23, 2012
Cheyenne, WY
I spliced mine into the harness about 3" up from the coolant tank. If you open up the wire loom the wires you are looking for are the violet/red and the black/blue. It really does not matter what you use as negative or positive on the tether as it is an inline loop.

I have not done it yet, but I am going to go to napa and get a 2 prong plug so that if I as having grounding issues i can simply unplug it.

Heres a pic of the harness wires.

Thanks for the pics and description! Would the 2014's use the same wiring colors?

B

Burn Down

Dec 22, 2008
Boise Idaho
Solder connections are bad, After a while this thing called dissimilar metal corrosion creeps in and you get a corroded, non-functioning connection. Should always use a high quality crimp connector. You might get a season out of a solder connection but not likely more than that before problems

I have been soldering connections on wiring for 20+ years with no issues to date... As long as you use rosin core solder, not acid core. Also the connection must be sealed when done, heat shrink.

Any copper wire will corrode if subject to the elements... I have offered to stab people with there test probes before:face-icon-small-win

M

M8 Turbo

Jan 2, 2014
gods counrty
i just installed my pro armor tether tonight and was looking at the horse shoe that you use and wondering if these plastic one break so i made one out of aluminum. Can you buy a replacement horse shoe.

G
Nov 24, 2008
SK, Canada
i just installed my pro armor tether tonight and was looking at the horse shoe that you use and wondering if these plastic one break so i made one out of aluminum. Can you buy a replacement horse shoe.

I bought a 2 pack of replacement tether cable/horseshoes on ebay. They are actually made for a boat motor shut off, but they are identical to the pro armor horseshoe. I think it was about 15 bucks shipped for both of them.

High Country

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
Canada
I bought a 2 pack of replacement tether cable/horseshoes on ebay. They are actually made for a boat motor shut off, but they are identical to the pro armor horseshoe. I think it was about 15 bucks shipped for both of them.

Better attach a link !!
Not a bad idea !

High Country

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
Canada
Gents ...the Pro Armor is king ...its the way to go ...first big week on my sled ..I am sold...120 % better than the Cat tether ...no fails ...zero issues !!...spot on !!
A lot of guys have been running these for a very long time including BCIL and others ...its gospel !!
I will never run another tether other than Pro Armor !!!

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Solder connections are bad, After a while this thing called dissimilar metal corrosion creeps in and you get a corroded, non-functioning connection. Should always use a high quality crimp connector. You might get a season out of a solder connection but not likely more than that before problems

Copper Battery cables on golf cars, electric forklifts, and such have soldered ends. I know, i have soldered many myselfm. At work We have some cables i did myself 15yrs ago and still holding strong. The 4 gauge cable breaks from plugging in and unplugging the charger but never had a corrosion issue inside soldered ends.

F_ast

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Ontario

I am going to say that you will have a hard time breaking one. If I were to break on it would have been this week. Riding here in -30* celcius weather. Very solid set up. I would think you would be more likely to loosing it with the sh!tty clasp they offer than breaking one.

Phizzer

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2008
Ketchikan, AK
No....Sorry bud. I've soldered 1000's of strands of wire with the rosin core solder and NEVER had a problem. Marine, sleds, ATV's you name it. And like burn down said, you have to finish the connection by insulating it somehow. Takes a little time, but I've never had an issue with a connection doing it this way.

The Arctic Cat tether is a cheaply made product. The plug in for the tether cord has problems, water gets inside, connections at the plug in are crap. I just installed a Pro Armor Universal Tether on my M7 and I love it. It is a quality piece that is easy to install. Ditch that Cat tether and go with the Pro Armor!!

Vertical-Extreme

Lifetime Membership
Sep 15, 2008
Airdrie, Alberta
www.airdriejudo.ca
Here's a pic of a good mounting location for guys running stock bar set ups. I did this one for a buddy.
you just need to ditch the stock one piece top and get the single side bar holders.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422070300.216865.jpg

Then you can attach the wiring right in front of the post. Easy to access if you have any problems. Makes way more sense than the cat set up.

Phizzer

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2008
Ketchikan, AK
Here's a pic of a good mounting location for guys running stock bar set ups. I did this one for a buddy.
you just need to ditch the stock one piece top and get the single side bar holders.

View attachment 248208

Then you can attach the wiring right in front of the post. Easy to access if you have any problems. Makes way more sense than the cat set up.

That's awesome!

Z
Oct 29, 2014
I am going to say that you will have a hard time breaking one. If I were to break on it would have been this week. Riding here in -30* celcius weather. Very solid set up. I would think you would be more likely to loosing it with the sh!tty clasp they offer than breaking one.

My horseshoe broke the first time i used it :(
So i will order some replacement shoes, but I still like it.

///Zemrén

matt159

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Southwest Iowa
Pro Armor with HCR style post

Several people have mentioned that the tether clip breaks in the cold. Mine seemed to snap on quite firmly & it is easy to imagine it breaking in the cold. I filed a very small amount off the inside of the clip so it doesn't have to spread/flex quite as far to release or to be snapped back in.

I like the mounting location under the grab bar for the standard bars. If you have the HCR style post like mine, the Pro Armor Tether mounts well too.

Premium Features