• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New poll for 2011 and 12 pro motor issues..

How Reliable is your 2011-12 Pro RMK?

• Total voters
Thread Rating
4.00 star(s)

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
11 turbo assault 700 and somthin miles no problems aside from aggravating my tendinitis holding on to it!:face-icon-small-coo

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
I would much rather have my engine replaced under warranty and have the problem fixed than spend $1500 on belts, like some have mentioned on here, and still not fix the problem. When you think about it having a pro under warranty and having the engine go down might actually be a cheaper option than owning a new cat that has the most reliable 800 but eats belts for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I absolutely loved my 08 M8, i had a lot of fun on that sled, but Bottom line, they all have problems, I chose a Pro cause that's what I liked, plus I like knowing that when my motor goes down, at least that problem is fixable.

"belts for breakfast, lunch and dinner"

Sure, that gets old fast...

But I'd rather spend money on clutching and a torque arm etc than engine mods/fix kits. Some weights and springs, shimming and what not.
Should be able to get your dealer to uphold warranty with that.
Thinking general terms here.

Engine is way worse IMHO. You cant slap a spare belt on a broken engine and baby it home, it's tow-time.
"4-year warranty and ride it like you stole it!" Yeah, right. That's a winner, until it's time to upgrade. Bad engine = low market value. Still gonna be us sledders buying this thing, so the loss comes to us no matter how you slice and dice this.

Aint no Marsians gonna buy our flawed sleds at a premium price...

Rick!

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Or multiple "no failures"?

So how do you list multiple engine failures?

3 Pros;
2 - MY11's over 1000 miles no failures
1 - MY12 under 1000 miles no failures

1 vote. :face-icon-small-fro

R

RZRNUT

Feb 8, 2009
2 11 Pros. Both have 1500 miles. One had a crank bearing go. New engine under warranty. Purchased a two year warranty for $700. Going to keep this sled. Other one no issues but no warranty. Traded it for a 13 with 4 year warranty.

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
In the trees i agree, in a line and in the air see ya!!

I just dont get this tree riding didn't get big till the M chassis in 05 with vertical steering. Now its the end all a mountain sled should be.

I love the pro rmk really do trying o get my wife a 600 :)

When cat revolutionized the mountain segment by the M chassis vertical steering m7 that is still one of the most reliable sleds on the snow you polaris guys were still riding trailing arms!

Just saying....

Lol, not discrediting the new pro at all when i say this, polaris has listened to there boondocking tree riders big time! And it shows! Loving all the new tech!

The new kitty climbs like a billy goat and flys straiter then any mountain sled i have been on.

Thats my riding style and where we ride the trees dont grow.

All im gettin at is the mountain segment isnt all about tree riding there are several of us that need that stiffer rear tunnel, badass front suspension, and appriciate the engine reliability! Out the gate the cat is a better choice for ME. Key word there is ME.

So when i here the pro is the best mountain chassis i have to disagree because it may be for lots of people, just not me :)

The Engine issues are not that big of a deal especially if you have a 4 yr warranty, only time its an issue is if parts are on backorder and your missing weekends of riding, other then that any brand you brake anything.you got a good dealer if you make it out by the next weekend.

I wouldnt mind a new motor at 1500 miles lol. As long as she blew at an opetune time. Haha

-Aksnopro
You must really love the proclimb.
Just saying...
If it was me with $2500 out of my pocket and I could still pull a cord on a whim I might have driven to Thief River Falls and drove that thing through the front door.

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
"belts for breakfast, lunch and dinner"

Sure, that gets old fast...

But I'd rather spend money on clutching and a torque arm etc than engine mods/fix kits. Some weights and springs, shimming and what not.
Should be able to get your dealer to uphold warranty with that.
Thinking general terms here.

Engine is way worse IMHO. You cant slap a spare belt on a broken engine and baby it home, it's tow-time.
"4-year warranty and ride it like you stole it!" Yeah, right. That's a winner, until it's time to upgrade. Bad engine = low market value. Still gonna be us sledders buying this thing, so the loss comes to us no matter how you slice and dice this.

Aint no Marsians gonna buy our flawed sleds at a premium price...
Another way to look at it.
Lets say your on a budget and buying a belt every other ride starts cutting into your riding time? Also hows the market value on the proclimb right now?

J

Jimb

Dec 1, 2007
25/151 Probs 16.6% failure

OR remove 2 guys with zero post count, 1 guy who has an xp not a pro, 2 dragons. 15/151 probs 10% failure rate.

K

knifedge

Dec 20, 2009
Colorado
We bought three in 2011!!
One lost crank bearing in Jan 2011 with 600 miles on it!
One lost a rod bearing Feb 2012 with 1500 miles on it!!
One broke cylinder skirt Mar 2012 with 2500 miles on it!
Also have a 2012 with 1000 miles on with know problems so far!!
Have a new 13 on order!!

--Or you can add those that have had multiple failures that only get to vote once

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
2011 Pro -3 motors and added warranty
2 rebuilds and 1 short block in 2800 miles
2011 Snowcheck has 4 year bumper to bumper warranty but
expires at 3,000 mi. Had to pay another $800 bucks to extend it
3 more years. Traded this sled, Snowchecked a 2012 Pro, it had 3200 miles on it. Lost 30 days riding with down time.

2012 Pro -1 motor at 1448 mi. Complete shortblock. For 2012 the 4 year
bumper to bumper does not have the mileage limitation.

I ride between 4000 and 5000 miles in a normal year. It's good to have spare sleds. Sidelined this spring do to medical.

I ride with 3 other 2011 Pros and they have rebuilt 4 motors. They are not forum members. To put in perspective we had a 2011 e-tec in the group that replaced 3 motors in 1500 miles last year. Now if we want to talk about Dragons I can fill your shop with used up powerplants.

Last edited:
H

harps500

Feb 4, 2012
2011 Pro -3 motors and added warranty
2 rebuilds and 1 short block in 2800 miles
2011 Snowcheck has 4 year bumper to bumper warranty but
expires at 3,000 mi. Had to pay another $800 bucks to extend it
3 more years. Traded this sled, Snowchecked a 2012 Pro, it had 3200 miles on it. Lost 30 days riding with down time.

2012 Pro -1 motor at 1448 mi. Complete shortblock. For 2012 the 4 year
bumper to bumper does not have the mileage limitation.

I ride between 4000 and 5000 miles in a normal year. It's good to have spare sleds. Sidelined this spring do to medical.

I ride with 3 other 2011 Pros and they have rebuilt 4 motors. They are not forum members. To put in perspective we had a 2011 e-tec in the group that replaced 3 motors in 1500 miles last year. Now if we want to talk about Dragons I can fill your shop with used up powerplants.

Are you guys using oil? LOL

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Or the many owners who have had no failures on multiple 800's

Duffus.

No matter how you want to play the game, you're sitting at about 3x the amount of failures on the pro motor than we have on the cat motors, and with way less miles on average... so give it time & that percentage will rise.

My only point in this was to call out the couple people I saw in the other thread saying "they all fail" "they're all the same"... they're not.

Suzuki makes a VERY reliable motor... unfortunately, they give it to those guys in green to build the rest of the sled, and it's not all peaches & roses from there, BUT I have yet to have a cat 800 fail.

Of the guys I ride with & know around here I know ONE guy who has had an 800 fail since 07, CO 2.0, and I can't count the poo failures on two hands. And I ride with WAY more cat guys than poo (that's sure changing right now though!!!:face-icon-small-win)

But hey, suzuki is only building our motors for one more year, so I'm sure we'll be in the same boat with you guys in 2014, misery loves company right???:face-icon-small-ton

A

ak ryda

Nov 26, 2007
25/151 Probs 16.6% failure

OR remove 2 guys with zero post count, 1 guy who has an xp not a pro, 2 dragons. 15/151 probs 10% failure rate.

Ummmm, what?

Signed - Former 2010 M8 owner who had zero motor issues, and now has a 13 Pro snowchecked (with 4 year warrranty of course).

J

Jimb

Dec 1, 2007
No matter how you want to play the game, you're sitting at about 3x the amount of failures on the pro motor than we have on the cat motors, and with way less miles on average... so give it time & that percentage will rise.

My only point in this was to call out the couple people I saw in the other thread saying "they all fail" "they're all the same"... they're not.

Suzuki makes a VERY reliable motor... unfortunately, they give it to those guys in green to build the rest of the sled, and it's not all peaches & roses from there, BUT I have yet to have a cat 800 fail.

Of the guys I ride with & know around here I know ONE guy who has had an 800 fail since 07, CO 2.0, and I can't count the poo failures on two hands. And I ride with WAY more cat guys than poo (that's sure changing right now though!!!:face-icon-small-win)

But hey, suzuki is only building our motors for one more year, so I'm sure we'll be in the same boat with you guys in 2014, misery loves company right???:face-icon-small-ton

No denying, I've owned several Suzuki powered cats and that is the major pull for the cat brand, I can only imagine when they build they're own. maybe the 13 polaris motor will be better, who knows, but I doubt it, shame that a motor built in 2011-13 has less reliability and power than a well set up Polaris 700 from 1997-1999.

I have seen a lot of motors grenade over the years, no brand is immune that's for sure. I wish I could fit a Suzuki carb'd 900 under the hood of a pro.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
No denying, I've owned several Suzuki powered cats and that is the major pull for the cat brand, I can only imagine when they build they're own. maybe the 13 polaris motor will be better, who knows, but I doubt it, shame that a motor built in 2011-13 has less reliability and power than a well set up Polaris 700 from 1997-1999.

I have seen a lot of motors grenade over the years, no brand is immune that's for sure. I wish I could fit a Suzuki carb'd 900 under the hood of a pro.

A buddy of mine here in the county did exactly that with his assault (Dragon chassis) I'd love to see that in a pro.

O

Oregonsledder

Jan 27, 2009
Bend Oregon
Yea, your probably right.
I've been at this snowmobiling game for nearly 50 years, so humor me.

Hey no biggie, not my first rodeo either... but Marvel Mystery Oil, is good stuff. I have used it for more years than I would like to admit for many things, including summarizing sleds.

Premium Features