• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

5 sleds in a 7x29

I
Jan 17, 2017
does anyone have pictures of 5 sleds in a 5x29. I'm looking at getting a enclosed trailer. my group has always had open place 8.5x24 and made 5 fit. wondering how you are getting 5 inside id like to see pictures to see how big of cluster it is or how hard it is to do. I'm not against staying 8.5 wide if I have to but thought our 1200 miles trips one way a 7' would be nice. thanks for any help!

hamlin

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2013
I have a stealth 7x29' we take 5 on most trips, but it's kind of a pain to load them. I will see if I can find some pics. We loaded the first two from front door so the read ends would be in the v. Third one drove in from the back and tucked ski under a arm under one of the front sleds. Then backed in the last two from the rear. They were 155,146,155,155,163 sleds. When you figure it out it takes 10 min to load them. It's not terrible but I think 5 fit easier in my 8.5x 25 that I used to have. If you ride from cabin it's not bad at all, but if you trailer up everyday, that's where it isn't as handy

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
I have a 7'x29' but have not tried five sleds yet, but if I did, I would go with four in the trailer and one in the box. Like Hamlin said, it would not be handy if you trailer everyday. Especially loading up at the end of the day when you are tired and cold. We drive like you guys also, 1000-1200 miles one way. I wouldn't want to have five of us in one truck for that long. :face-icon-small-hap

Sled208

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2010
We have done it a few times. Drove them all in the front and put the inside ski of the first sled on top of the spare tire. That gave the second one enough room to get under it and damn near be side-by-side. I dug through my pictures on my phone and evidently I didn't keep any of them.

I
Jan 17, 2017
Thanks guys i think il stay 8.5 wide. Was just wanting to get aluminum trailer but i dont want to pay for 8.5 aluminum wide seems alot more pricey. Il stick with a steel and see what i can find

bgraff1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Lloydminster, Alberta
long and full width is the only way. sucks for long trips but being able to load 6 sleds and still have all the front end for gear/getting ready etc is awesome. plus its aluminum so it pulls very well
exterior.jpg

inside.jpg

inside2.jpg

C

catrider800

Jan 9, 2008
Albany, MN
Had a 7x29 Stealth and loaded 5 multiple times. Ran one in the back facing forward and backed one in so they were basically side by side. Drove the new two in the front facing the rear, then backed the last one in from the front so the rear of the sled fit between the tails of the other two. Usually set it up on the spare to gain some clearance. Occasionally we would need to remove one ski on the last sled. Definitely more of a pain than just running four in from the front facing the rear and I wouldn't want to do it everyday if your trailering out of town to find snow, but it's not the worst especially if one is just going as a backup sled.

royd

Premium Member
Dec 11, 2007
Works fine for us. 2 165s, 3 154s. Drive one in from front, back two in from front, back 2 in from back. Works good. Takes a little muscle to be efficient. But once each rider knows there place it goes fast.

All but one sled are newer doos and a cat. The problem child is the polaris with the wide *** ski stance. Which we put in middle. If more poos were along it would get more challenging.

U
Oct 26, 2014
Minnesota
Loading 5 long tracks in a 7x29 is easy. Drive all in from front to back, first sled driven in needs to be loaded opposite of the v door so you can drive the last one in. I hauled 5 long track sleds (155, 153, 154, 154, 154) in it every weekend with no problems. See the first picture.

With that trailer I learned the hard way that you get what you pay for and it didn't last a year of normal use, even being custom ordered with all the premium options. I do 4-5 trips to and from MN to WY, MT, ID each year.

I now own a 2016 Aluma 8.5x28 (24+4v) lowboy car hauler, twice the price at $18k, but 10x the trailer and worth every penny. I will never go back to a 7'. This trailer while being heavier pulls so much better, doesn't sway in the wind, and while being a foot shorter total, has tons more room inside. Definatley the 8.5' lowboy car hauler is the way to go. I can very easily get 6 long track sleds inside.

Having the sleds side by side is extremely easy to get around, I would typically cram 4-5 long track sleds into the 7' and what a pain to get around and tie down..

Here are some photos of mine. It is a 2016 Aluma 8.5' x 24' with a 4' v-front. 100% all aluminum, no wood. All aluminum floor and ramps. 5200# axles.

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR WITH TRAILERS....

1.jpg IMG_1740.jpg IMG_0421.jpg

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Loading 5 long tracks in a 7x29 is easy. Drive all in from front to back, first sled driven in needs to be loaded opposite of the v door so you can drive the last one in. I hauled 5 long track sleds (155, 153, 154, 154, 154) in it every weekend with no problems. See the first picture.

With that trailer I learned the hard way that you get what you pay for and it didn't last a year of normal use, even being custom ordered with all the premium options. I do 4-5 trips to and from MN to WY, MT, ID each year.

I now own a 2016 Aluma 8.5x28 (24+4v) lowboy car hauler, twice the price at $18k, but 10x the trailer and worth every penny. I will never go back to a 7'. This trailer while being heavier pulls so much better, doesn't sway in the wind, and while being a foot shorter total, has tons more room inside. Definatley the 8.5' lowboy car hauler is the way to go. I can very easily get 6 long track sleds inside.

Having the sleds side by side is extremely easy to get around, I would typically cram 4-5 long track sleds into the 7' and what a pain to get around and tie down..

Here are some photos of mine. It is a 2016 Aluma 8.5' x 24' with a 4' v-front. 100% all aluminum, no wood. All aluminum floor and ramps. 5200# axles.

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR WITH TRAILERS....

I have pretty much the same trailer as your Aluma, but the Feather Lite version. I use mine all winter and summer. I haul a race car in it 25-30 nights a summer and it has made too many trips to count hauling sleds. I'm sure it has over 100k miles on it.

I cant tell in your pics what your floor is like.... That aluminum floor is awesome, but slick as ice with snow on it. I put carpet inside my trailer about 5 years ago and its held up awesome.

U
Oct 26, 2014
Minnesota
SRXSRULE, it was between FeatherLite and Aluma and I couldn't find the same length FeatherLite with a V front door so went with the Aluma. You are correct, the aluminum floor is awesome but when snowy/wet it is slick as snot even with the ribs it has. On the ramps I have Caliber grip glides which give excellent traction when walking up and down. On the floor of the trailer I have 3/4" rubber mats. They work very well, have excellent traction when wet, tracks don't freeze down and don't spin, and carbides slide right over. It was between carpet and the rubber mats, tried mats first and love them. Each one is 4'x6' and weighs 90lbs, so I have 9 total in there adding an additional 800 lbs to the trailer is the only down side..

Does the carpet stay wet and have to be dried out at all?

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
SRXSRULE, it was between FeatherLite and Aluma and I couldn't find the same length FeatherLite with a V front door so went with the Aluma. You are correct, the aluminum floor is awesome but when snowy/wet it is slick as snot even with the ribs it has. On the ramps I have Caliber grip glides which give excellent traction when walking up and down. On the floor of the trailer I have 3/4" rubber mats. They work very well, have excellent traction when wet, tracks don't freeze down and don't spin, and carbides slide right over. It was between carpet and the rubber mats, tried mats first and love them. Each one is 4'x6' and weighs 90lbs, so I have 9 total in there adding an additional 800 lbs to the trailer is the only down side..

Does the carpet stay wet and have to be dried out at all?

Thats exactly why I didnt do the rubber mats, didnt want to give up payload or haul around extra weight all the time. I have friends that have done that though, and it does work well. Just dont spill oil or gas on it with out getting it cleaned up.

I used a short, tight nap, commercial grade carpet. Its just cut exactly to size
and has one aluminum hold down strip at the rear gate. The gate has the same stuff on it with 2 hold down strips. Its worked out great and never moves. I always shovel out the snow/ice and after a trip I will just leave the doors open on a nice sunny day and it dries out nicely.

My trailer is a car hauler only.... No ramp door up front, which is totally fine these days since everything has reverse.

Premium Features