• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best front end for a 2012 proclimb

cadeskii

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2012
Northern Mn
A friend is selling his 2012 hcr 800 with lots of add ons that I'm thinking of buying. Only thing that's holding me up is it still has the 40" front end. So I'm trying to figure out what it's gonna cost to update it. Thinking if I get a 38" I don't need new shocks also. Don't need the best as I only go out west once or twice a year.

Who's kit is the best bang for buck?

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I would say factory Cat kit or parts are best bang for the buck. If you only want to go 38" ski stance you can just have spacers installed in the shocks. If you want to go narrower then you have to replace or have the shocks cut down. The 38" new geometry Cat kit was designed for guys already at 38" stance so here's no all inclusive 38" new geometry kit offered, only 36". If you want to go that way then you'll need to get the $450 upper a-arm and spindle kit, left hand and right hand lowers, tie rods and some 3/4" shock spacers.

Here's a link to my research on different kits when I decided to swap my front end: https://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=417126&highlight=front+end
Not exactly what you're doing, but some good reading on comparisons of the different front ends available.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
The absolute cheapest option would be to stick with the older spindle design you have and pickup a complete used 38" setup from someone that is converting to the new 36" arms. If you don't do a lot of side hilling it's not that big of a deal.

cadeskii

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2012
Northern Mn
Thanks for the info! My plan is to go to haydays and see what I find used. I liked the looks of the barcode kit but the website is down and can't find any info on them. Are they still in business?

Barcode

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Sep 8, 2008
Were still here. Our website is down due to a family member passing that was looking after it. Were right now trying to get it resurrected or rebuilt. We should be back up soon.

PM sent

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
If you like to carve the 36 front end is the way to go, worth EVERY penny, even with having to buy new shocks. Would be my first mod on any non 36 front end PC. Will make you wonder how you ever rode that 40 inch pig front end...

Barcode

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Sep 8, 2008
With our kit you can use all the factory shock lengths. 42",40",38" & 36" just a fyi. If your coming form a 42",40" you'll ned to trim the tie rods though.

cheers

Allan

cadeskii

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2012
Northern Mn
Well I bought the sled and I bought a set of 38" arms and shocks from a 2015. So now I'm looking at buying the new geometry kit for the 38" arms. Just debating on cat, z-broz or similar for uppers and spindles. Not sure if it would be worth going 36" over 38" with the added cost and the sled already has racewerx boards so not sure about narrowing it if I wanted to. Sounds like lots of people are happy with the 38" with the new geometry too

Premium Features