• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2018s ship yet? Let's see delivered sleds....

C

cbouton

Jan 6, 2013
Soldotna, AK
Looks like on the primary for sea level only difference is new 990 ramp and 38mm pivot bolt instead of 33mm and on secondary same black spring and 21/53 for gearing with 116 link chain. the stock gearing on my 17 165 SP 3" is 21/51

note* this info is for the 165 off the link above

Last edited:
D
May 24, 2012
That was my 2005 Summit X 1000. Apparently they had issues with assembly. The only problem I had with it was when they came from the factory, the fuel pump underneath the engine would get gummed up and not pump enough fuel into the fuel tank reservoir causing it to cough and sputter once you rode about 30miles. Fortunately, some snowesters figured out that if you take a automotive style electric fuel pump and by pass the stock one it would work great. It did. Doo finally came out with their own fix. So that was the latest I ever had a snowcheck sled delivered. Hoping for a September or early October delivery this year.

Were they gummed-up or filled with oil? Still sleds out there with the original pump that never had a problem. I don't think that BRP ever really figured that one out. The Electric lift pump was the biggest cause to engine failures next to fouled injectors, so not such a great fix. Two of the growing changes is to relocate the Electric Lift Pump to the garbage and either install the diaphragm pump up high or convert to the single fuel pump. Either will work.

Last edited:

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
Were they gummed-up or filled with oil? Still sleds out there with the original pump that never had a problem. I don't think that BRP ever really figured that one out. The Electric lift pump was the biggest cause to engine failures next to fouled injectors, so not such a great fix. Two of the growing changes is to relocate the Electric Lift Pump to the garbage and either install the diaphragm pump up high or convert to the single fuel pump. Either will work.

I believe it was filled with oil. The fuel pump from napa worked great, but they took it off when BRP had a fix to ensure warranty stayed in tack. However, that was many moons and snowchecks ago.

D
May 24, 2012
I believe it was filled with oil. The fuel pump from napa worked great, but they took it off when BRP had a fix to ensure warranty stayed in tack. However, that was many moons and snowchecks ago.

That was an early fix for the Summits with the straight pulse nipple out of the crankcase that didn't work either. For those who had trouble the electric pump did fix the problem and it worked good for the most part. It's when they started to fail that **** hit the fan for years that followed. It took six months before BRP implemented the electric fuel pump fix that had been adopted by many shops and owners. From there it went down hill. Here is the kicker, BRP were not seeing these problems until the sleds hit mass market. Sounds familiar to some of the 850 troubles?

I thought it was the most convoluted sled in history until I took a closer look at the 800 ETEC and its problems. The 850 ETEC is on its way to beating both. EVAP and Clutching should be the easy stuff. One thing I noticed in the past season is there weren't many tech owners with 850s that posted on forums. And of those who did, either their voices were being drowned or they themselves were taken by surprise by problems they didn't expect to have on a new sled. First year woes is never fun. 2018 has every ingredient to being a better year.

Premium Features