• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anyone from or been to Pocatello, ID?

G

ggcustoms

Dec 4, 2007
NW Wisconsin
I might apply for a job there and looking for info on anything about the town. I've never been there or to ID for that matter. Does it closely resemble/compare to any MT towns? Did a family tour of some of MT last summer with the fam. Good riding close? Good family town?
I'd love to be closer to riding, and the job I'd love too. Just wondering about other living info. Thanks
Dylan.

slash

Parts Moderator & Chat Box Cop
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 22, 2008
IDAHO FALLS 83404
Im from Idaho Falls a little north of poky its a great area all year long riden dirt snow fishing hunting camping its about 150 from Yellowstone PK ...

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Very pretty area. Been there 3 times the past year. Colder than expected compared to lincoln ne and more snow. Lots of rec opportunities in area. Nice town. To title/license car was $75 there vs $350 just for plate renewal in lincoln.

Daughter rented new 3 br 2 bath apt for $800/mo. Never ran a/c but was on 1st floor. The 2nd floor apt ran their a/c a lot.

Low humidity. Can be 90 during day and by 5:30 cools off real nice. Even during day felt warm but not hot and humid like here.

Mort2112

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Meridian, ID
I travel there and to Montana regularly for work. You can expect it to be a lot like Butte in many ways, where there is an old town and old industry. There is some new growth happening though. Close to tons of outdoor recreation, small town lifestyle, and cheap gas. Still a farming/industrial community.

Sledding, you are close to Bear Lake, Lava, and other areas. A couple hours from world class riding in Wyoming and Idaho/Montana.

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
Lived in Boise my whole life but Poky being a few hours away I've been there often and had friends from there. It's not bad. A couple of my buddies LOVE living there. IMO it's not a bad place. Close to a lot of fun outdoor activities. Like all larger towns there are some run down areas of town

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
Been through there several times but never stayed. We plan on staying there in April 2017. We like Island Park, ID, and Afton/Alpine, Wyoming for riding. You look like you are next door to those areas compared to us. Someday I want to ride side by sides in the sand dunes near St. Anthony, ID. Bucket List!
You can't beat Idaho, Wyoming, Colorado, Montana, Utah, and Nevada. We just love it out there. Best of luck!:)

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
Pocatello is kind of like Butte in that it is a railroad town.
There are some good things and not so good things there.
It has an Old Town that has quite a bit of character with several bars and good night life.
It is home to Idaho State University and Holt Arena. So they draw in big events like concerts, rodeos, monster trucks and motocross.
Has a lot to choice on restaurants and entertainment. It's the second largest city in Idaho. Although if you included Ammon and Iona, I think Idaho Falls is bigger.
There isn't much riding in the Pocatello area except maybe Inman Canyon. So you'll have to drive a bit to get to some good riding. Although it is pretty close to Soda Springs, Bear Lake, Idaho Falls and Bone (riding area) and also Island Park. Go exploring a little and I am sure you will find more.

Here's some of the not so good. It sits in a hole and can get some temperature inversions that hold the smoke and smell and make the air quality fairly bad. Not LA horrible but bad for Idaho.

Idaho is a frickin desert. There is no humidity. Buy some Vaseline and tissues. You are going to get some nose bleeds until you get used to it. Drink water, even if you aren't sweating. You are you just don't know it.
Pocatello is a college town so it has some of the student issues of a college town. Not a lot or horrible but it is still a college town with an influx of population when there are events or school starts.

Depending on your political views Pocatello is one of the more liberal areas of Idaho. We are an extremely conservative state. Even our liberals could be considered conservative in Eastern states.

Oh did I mention we are also a bunch of gun loving people. I Idaho passed a Constitutional Carry law this year. You do need a concealed carry permit and we have guns shops all over the place. Not sure if that has any relation to a fairly low crime rate, compared to national average. Don't get stupid and you can carry or buy just about anything you can afford.

If you decide to move out here hit some of us up. We'd love to show you around to some good riding areas.

Last edited:
A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
I'm from the upper Midwest. Still have a home in NW WI, Park Falls, and while I love it there, I lived there for a year and decided I/we couldn't stay there. No industry or tax base anymore which makes for a very depressed economy.
Unlike most places out west, even if they are backwoods locations, the economy is generally a little to a lot better.
No experience with Idaho in particular, but we moved out west 20 years ago and would hardly even consider moving back to the Midwest, save for a summer/second home up nort in WI.

Move out west if you have decent opportunity to. You won't regret it.

S
Sep 22, 2005
Pocatello, Id
Pocatello is a great place to live. I have lived here for 12 years and really enjoy it. There is ok riding about 15 minutes from town and great riding within an hour or two. We normally ride the are between Preston and Bear Lake. There are great mountain bike and atv trails in the hills around town. Real estate prices are also very affordable. If you move here and need some one to ride with just let me know.

S
Feb 6, 2017
SE Idaho
Nothin worth a crap anywhere near Pokey..........

This was yesterday, about 20 minutes outta town......not a single person all day, 40 degrees, perfect corn snow, able to go anywhere with a vintage 340 fanner. :eyebrows:

P1210459_zps58tylnu7.jpg

P1210440_zpse96yv0ev.jpg

P1210421_zpslysdmpuu.jpg

P1210396_zpswuxcafov.jpg

Premium Features