• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Help me decide on bike: 2016 yz450fx or 2017 ktm 500 exc

SuperchargedWS6

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2010
Both of these bikes are brand new. Main use is for snowbike and may or may not be swapped back to tires in the summer. If they are it would be for single track in the mountains, but really looking for the best snowbike. best power, best reliability. Will be driving a 137 ARO if i can find a kit for a somewhat reasonable price.

The reason it is between these two bikes is that it is a really good deal on either. About $2000 cdn cheaper than a new 2018 yz450, which goes a bit of the way to helping buy the timbersled.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

A
Jan 15, 2010
Sherwood Park AB
I rode both of those last year, granted the yami had a yeti 129 and the ktm had a st timber. I'm a ktm rider and love the product but the 450fx is a pretty slick platform to build off of. Correct me if I am wrong but I believe the rev limit on the 500 is 9000 and the 450fx is 11500. This was noticeable to me. With both having wide ratio transmissions it is easier to mesh the gaps with the extra rpm. Back up kick start is a plus. Intake is pretty slick on fx. 500 pumpkin is a nice cruising tractor but i'd be going with the fx. FX has gotta be a little cheaper, no?

M
Feb 21, 2016
Bend, Oregon
Using a ktm 500 for a snow bike is the complete opposite what that bike/motor was designed for. It's a low rpm motor that was designed for dual sport use, short shifting, road use, etc. The trans is gappy and the rev ceiling is low. It's a "trail bike". The Yamaha is a dedicated racer like the ktm xc line, it makes a better snowbike and bike in general, higher RPMs so when you shift you land in the meat of the power, great airfilter position for snow use, etc..

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
For the best KTM for snowbike application, you should be comparing to the 450XC-F or 450SX-F. I prefer the XC-F due to the larger (and clear) fuel tank, and prefer the gearbox (for both summer and winter).

The 500EXC works great, but you are paying for the street legal equipment (that it sounds like you won't need/use), and the lower rev limit robs a little top end over the 450's. The 500 has a touch more displacement, but the 450 motor is more rank.

That said, the 500 is a much nicer trail and singletrack bike in the summer (for an average rider), and (of course) is road legal - so if that is a consideration, it DOES make a perfectly good snowbike. Frankly from a sled guy....they're all mega slow, so I'd buy the bike more based on summer use. But that's me.

Also, there is a HUGE variance in people's definition of "single track," but if it's the nastier stuff you're after....the 450's are a handful for an average rider. The 500 is actually a really easy bike to ride in the woods, despite the displacement.

Last edited:

SuperchargedWS6

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2010
thanks for all the feedback. i am going yz450fx with a 137LE ARO

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

Lachoneus

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2009
And I'm saying go blue

I've been on Kawi and KTM and Yamaha as snowbikes -- and much prefer the Yamaha for airbox location, reliability....better overall "value" compared to the orange -- but that is just me and the newest of those KTM's was a '14, maybe the newer ones are better. Have '14 '15 Yamaha F bikes and two 16 FX Yamaha bikes and really like them, think they are solid.

Premium Features