• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Avy pack weights?

S

saurus

Nov 1, 2014
Canada
Who makes the lightest avy air bag?
Thanks in advance.

Two options you could consider are:

Mammut Ultralight Removable Airbag 3.0 - 3.3lbs with canister

Snow pulse high mark ridge 3.0 - 5.5lbs with canister.

The snow pulse is designed for snowmobiling.

schmidty89

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2008
Spirit Lake IA
BCA vest

I'm sure that its not the lightest but if you wear a vest as well, then no doubt look into the BCA vest. I have ran packs and this vest and the weight never completely falls onto the shoulders the way a Backpack will. the way the waist strap is designed I hardly know I'm wearing it. until a tree try's to stab me. my buddy had the Snopulse vest and it rests on the shoulders more than my BCA did. his was an older model though. newer ones are probably better.

ripnit

Lifetime Membership
Mar 9, 2009
Chilly Id/Iowa Falls Ia
Agree with the post above....Have had a few different backs and vest, the BCA vest may not be the lightest, but is the most comfortable to me.

S

snowww1

Nov 26, 2007
Fit is everything. When a vest is supposed to be providing protection, do you really want to save a pound? Some vests feel great in the store, but after riding , they are hanging from your shoulders. BCA Float MtnPro vest is designed to take the weight off your shoulders, offers full protection, has transceiver pocket in the front, BC Link radio compatible and the vest is ventilated. Some are not, why wear an expensive waterproof breathable jacket if the vest does not breathe? Some vests hold in heat and moisture. Ask riders who have the BCA what they think.

Mike Duffy
Avalanche1.com

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
FWIW, SnowPulse has a new vest for 2017 - Charger R.A.S., no front zipper, some armor. Doesn't look like anyone has actually put fingers on one, yet. Time for a vest shootout video - but seriously - get something that fits well and you know how to us, and you'll always wear it. Nothing like competition to advance the features and tech, tho.

snoballssnoglory

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2008
FWIW, SnowPulse has a new vest for 2017 - Charger R.A.S., no front zipper, some armor. Doesn't look like anyone has actually put fingers on one, yet. Time for a vest shootout video - but seriously - get something that fits well and you know how to us, and you'll always wear it. Nothing like competition to advance the features and tech, tho.

Interesting bag. I have the Spire from last year and have nothing bad to say about it! I absolutely love it. Never felt it while wearing it.
I will say this... I don't think I would like the way you put the new vest on or off. I don't take my pack off but once or twice a ride so I don't think it would be a huge deal, but something to at least consider. Cheers.
FWIW I have a few friends that have the BCA vest and they love them.

P
Another option worth checking out is the Scott Aplride 30 bag.
Super light, good quality bag. Not a sledder specific bag but it does everything well. Its uses 2 small disposable canisters which are relatively cheap and easy to find (and small enough that you can just carry spares all the time)
And if you have back problems or a oddly shaped spine you might find this bag is the ticket.

Premium Features