• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New Thermostat in 2018 800

B

BallsDeep_5280

Oct 16, 2012
CO
This doesn't seem like a good move with a bypass style thermostat like on the Axys. As the T-stat opens it redirects flow from the bypass to the exchanger. With no T-stat you would have both circuits wide open all the time. You would think the greater flow would go to the shorter bypass loop? But if it's working for you I must be wrong?

It's been working for us for a a few years on the Pros and Axys, without any issues. I know of a few dozen people who threw them in a box and never looked back. We just let them warm up nice and good in the morning to a 100+ operating temp before hammering the throttle.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Wow this sure seems like a lot of thought into something that isn't a problem lol

I ran into hot coolant temp detune quite a bit last year.
It's real.

If you don't have an issue that's great.
(A laid back riding style is ok, you shouldn't feel like your manhood is threatened) :)

xmk1080

Lifetime Membership
Sep 23, 2008
Wow this sure seems like a lot of thought into something that isn't a problem lol

The more heat that you can pull out of the heat and cylinder the less chance of detonation, you can also built more horsepower and have a happy and efficient motor. It will also help with under hood temps. Maybe a lot of people won't notice but for people like me who like to tune its a great upgrade :face-icon-small-hap They should have done this a long time ago!

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
One of the first things I did to my Pro and my Axys was take out the thermostat and throw it in a box, never to be seen or heard from again. Temps are down in the 80's and 90's ALL day. Sled runs great (might have something to do with the shaved head, TKI gearing, SLP pipe, and Diamond S can :face-icon-small-win).

As you can tell, I wouldn't bother upgrading this part since I don't even keep it in my sleds. Save the money and just take the thing out and never look back. Just my $.02

With the 80-90 degree temps, are you experiencing any problems with the ECU running in an enrichment mode?

150+ or nothin

Mar 1, 2011
Is there an easy way to modify the head cover of a 16/17 to make the 18 stat fit or to modify the 18 stat to make it fit in 16/17 head cover?

If not doesn't anybody know where a guy could start looking for a stat the same as the 16/17 that opens at 110 instead of 125?

B

BallsDeep_5280

Oct 16, 2012
CO
With the 80-90 degree temps, are you experiencing any problems with the ECU running in an enrichment mode?

Not at all. Sled runs perfectly fine, and stays cool all day every day.

Still gets hot on long trail rides out in the morning or back in the afternoon, but that's what the scratchers are for. I think the highest temp my Axys has seen is ~142 on the trail, at the end of a spring day.

Cummins88

Lifetime Membership
Feb 5, 2015
Ottawa
It's been working for us for a a few years on the Pros and Axys, without any issues. I know of a few dozen people who threw them in a box and never looked back. We just let them warm up nice and good in the morning to a 100+ operating temp before hammering the throttle.

Is think on an RMK or SKS axys?

redigar09

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
guys running without a thermostat in the 16 and 17's... are you also removing/plugging off the bypass hose? or just removing thermostat?

Cummins88

Lifetime Membership
Feb 5, 2015
Ottawa
guys running without a thermostat in the 16 and 17's... are you also removing/plugging off the bypass hose? or just removing thermostat?

Removed the t-stat, put the rubber ring back in and plugged the hole that would let fluid go down into the bypass hose.

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Dude on Norwegian forum put one in his -16, said the only secret was to grind down the outer ring of the T-stat until the rubber gasket from your 16/17 fits. Good to go.

M

minus40

Oct 22, 2001
Dude on Norwegian forum put one in his -16, said the only secret was to grind down the outer ring of the T-stat until the rubber gasket from your 16/17 fits. Good to go.

Has anyone tried this?

M

minus40

Oct 22, 2001
Folks.. I'm sad to say he had jumped the gun. Said it was done when he only had a plan..

When he was pushed on it, he caved..

Sorry.

Sent fra min S60 via Tapatalk

I wondered, thanks for checking.

Premium Features