• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Info for building an intake

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
fooling around today

two different intake boots. both with no filter on the end. the one that was 6 inches long made 4hp more than the one that was 16 inches long. measuring power at the front spocket.

thought it was something to pass on.

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
fooling around today

two different intake boots. both with no filter on the end. the one that was 6 inches long made 4hp more than the one that was 16 inches long. measuring power at the front spocket.

Might want to include the specific bike it was on, as I'm sure that makes a difference.

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
kx5

filter loss is the same, and ontop of the loss that the tube adds. just trying to illustrate the point that you want your intake setup as short as possible.

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
kx5

filter loss is the same, and ontop of the loss that the tube adds. just trying to illustrate the point that you want your intake setup as short as possible.

Any idea if "As short as possible" is best, or if there's a "tuned" length to shoot for? That much difference makes me think there's some harmonics going on at one or the other of those options.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
fooling around today

Was thinking about some cross fins in the tube to straighten the flow?

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
not sure if its resonance or just restriction. either way shorter solves that. less restriction and it would resonate at such a high frequency that it would never matter.

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
multiple velocity horns within the intake would help eliminate the turbulence .

Crap I'm on a roll , that makes two , a spiff will do please :face-icon-small-hap

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
multiple velocity horns within the intake would help eliminate the turbulence .

Crap I'm on a roll , that makes two , a spiff will do please :face-icon-small-hap

perhaps Portgrinder could dyno that?

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
perhaps Portgrinder could dyno that?

Some have claimed the Yeti intake loss power, I believe it allowed better air flow which leaned out the motor, and once fueling is corrected it will be fine,This has happened on sleds as well. The Yeti tube is almost same length as the KTM air box with much better flow.I ran the Yeti intake last season on a 2017 450 KTM and ran very well, Stock box plugged quickly.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
There is a reason OEM intakes bell out insanely quickly to a very large filter area. these guys running mega long intake extrensions with with filters out by the rear fender are giving up power for sure. You want to basically do a 2.25" (throttle body) to 3 or 4" silicone expansion with a filter as close to the motor as possible.

I know it has been verified by seat of the pants as well as dyno that the Timbersled TSS intake reduces power. their kit is almost a foot until its 3" diameter tube.

pumping anything through a tube, length means drag means reduced flow means less HP.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
There is a reason OEM intakes bell out insanely quickly to a very large filter area. these guys running mega long intake extrensions with with filters out by the rear fender are giving up power for sure. You want to basically do a 2.25" (throttle body) to 3 or 4" silicone expansion with a filter as close to the motor as possible.

I know it has been verified by seat of the pants as well as dyno that the Timbersled TSS intake reduces power. their kit is almost a foot until its 3" diameter tube.

pumping anything through a tube, length means drag means reduced flow means less HP.
OEM must bell out quickly as there is no room to extend, Fender is inches away, cant hang hat on that, I believe its a matter of straightening the air flow and diminish turbulence , only a dyno will tell the story, The Yeti is short and can be even shorter if needed.

M
Jan 14, 2004
You need to keep in mind that Portgrinders motor is a 2 stroke. 4 strokes are much more sensitive to modifications to the air intake path. I built a carb heater for my buddies WR last year, it is a real nice piece but the bike wont run with it on as it deleted the rubber boot that also protects the air intake jets at the bottom of the carb. We may fool with it this year but he is going YZ so likely we wont get to it.

M5

BendBrapp

Lifetime Membership
Nov 11, 2015
My experience from last season on intakes. I had purchased a used/demo Timbersled ST with TSS. I mounted it up to a 17' 450sxf. I ran the TSS snorkel intake for most of the season. With a little ABS shrouding and trucker tarp, I was able to keep the intake happy on the light blower powder days.

After some time with my PR2 ECU, it was recommended I modify things to go back to the stock intake. Right around this time I found myself riding in snow that was numerous densities and moisture content. The TSS intake became inundated and performance suffered. I had bushings made to flip the TSS shock, and modified a new factory air box. Removing minimal plastic, resealing the hole, and sealing all factory air intake ports was completed. I then installed numerous snow blocking inlets to both sides of the airbox. The inlets were part of a Ski-doo engine venting kit. This resulted in cleaner and more power throughout the power band and never had a intake issue again.
PR2 has dyno proven numbers of the stock intake vs TSS snorkel. I'm guessing the length and shape drastically affect power.
Here are a few pics.
99ef5aa3bed2154cc7e65db756f529de.jpg
75340890167ad9541ebfd7e298724a63.jpg
61eb6c5df508d7815034d4982f5de86c.jpg
e17d15855a18e6aafd69e7ff88dc2f2f.jpg

jrlastofthebreed

It seemed like a good idea at the time
Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2016
Coeur d'Alene ID
Thought Id bring this up again with all the intakes advertising HP gains. Does anyone have any DYNO charts or direct comparisons between different snorkles and stock? Can you list the bikes they were on as well?

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
I don't have anything recorded but we lost hp with the snorkel type... that being said if it does not stuff with snow its always better than stuffed with snow... with the Selkirk I was able to keep the intake filter dry enough we ended up using a basic k and n cone filter with a dryfilter... it was worth 2 hp over any option. This was on an modified 18 450sxf.
576f8b96362d4e0ee9d33d8a8c9723d8.jpg

Sent from my SM-F916U1 using Tapatalk

N

n16ht5

Aug 5, 2013
Pemberton, BC
I have a pod directly clamped to the throttle body, but wonder if a 2-3" silicone adaptor to a pod would act like a velocity stack...

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
I use a metal velocity stack of about 2 inches... about a horse or so but it all adds up

Sent from my SM-F916U1 using Tapatalk

C
My experience from last season on intakes. I had purchased a used/demo Timbersled ST with TSS. I mounted it up to a 17' 450sxf. I ran the TSS snorkel intake for most of the season. With a little ABS shrouding and trucker tarp, I was able to keep the intake happy on the light blower powder days.

After some time with my PR2 ECU, it was recommended I modify things to go back to the stock intake. Right around this time I found myself riding in snow that was numerous densities and moisture content. The TSS intake became inundated and performance suffered. I had bushings made to flip the TSS shock, and modified a new factory air box. Removing minimal plastic, resealing the hole, and sealing all factory air intake ports was completed. I then installed numerous snow blocking inlets to both sides of the airbox. The inlets were part of a Ski-doo engine venting kit. This resulted in cleaner and more power throughout the power band and never had a intake issue again.
PR2 has dyno proven numbers of the stock intake vs TSS snorkel. I'm guessing the length and shape drastically affect power.
Here are a few pics.
99ef5aa3bed2154cc7e65db756f529de.jpg
75340890167ad9541ebfd7e298724a63.jpg
61eb6c5df508d7815034d4982f5de86c.jpg
e17d15855a18e6aafd69e7ff88dc2f2f.jpg
i am thinking about doing same thing and cut bottom out to let snow out . drill side cover and out frogsking material . all my friend hare telling me to go C3 intake and gut the stock plastic out . ktm 500 2018 on yeti 2021

Premium Features