• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2011 Pro 800 spark goes away with heat

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Ok, this may seem obvious but I'm looking for other things to check.

2011 Pro 800 155RMK. Runs like a champ, never a hiccup. BUT if you have been running it hard for part of the ride and you shut it off, it will not start again. No spark in either plug wire. Let it cool down for a "while"... sometimes 10 minutes sometimes an hour, and it will start again.

Don't ever turn it off while riding and it never fails.

We've replaced the kill switch and chased all the handlebar wiring to make sure no shorts.

Seems pretty much for sure heat related.

So I'm thinking it is stator. You shut it off, heat builds a little higher in the motor under the hood, enough to push the resistance high enough so it won't make spark, no start. Let it cool down, spark returns.

That's my theory. I'm open to other ideas. When it dies, neither spark plug gets spark.

sled_guy

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
It sure does sound like a stator. Can you duplicate the symptom and check it with a multi=meter?

Also watch out for the crank sensor when you check that thing.

gtwitch

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
Laramie, Wyoming
Next time it happens especially on a hot shutdown, try placing some snow on the temp sensor on the back of the head before you pull a lot , I had this happen a lot and it seems that the processor senses over temp and tells engine not to start and if you fool it by cooling the temp sensor with snow, well!!
Try it and see if that helps?
gtwitch in wyoming

Premium Features