• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M7 issues

C

chevota84

Oct 5, 2008
I might have missed it, but does it rev freely with no load/no primary or no belt?
Haven't pulled the primary yet, I don't like running it without a belt. It does it with the track not touching the ground, though.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

R
Oct 18, 2017
Haven't pulled the primary yet, I don't like running it without a belt. It does it with the track not touching the ground, though.

Did you ever fix this? What's the weights and springs on the clutches? Good rollers on both clutches?

C

chevota84

Oct 5, 2008
I fixed it by buying a proclimb lol. I still have it and I was just thinking about dragging it back out and fiddling with it again. Not sure what's in the clutches, we swapped some weights and springs with no change but I'm not sure where it got left at.

R
Oct 18, 2017
I fixed it by buying a proclimb lol. I still have it and I was just thinking about dragging it back out and fiddling with it again. Not sure what's in the clutches, we swapped some weights and springs with no change but I'm not sure where it got left at.

Well the previous owner on my crossfire 7 (precisely the same thing as the M7) tried to fix a bunch of symptoms but failed and sold it to me. Turned out to be a mix of bad primary rollers, dirty exhaust valves, bad right side engine mount, old primary spring and a fat rider who stuck the wrong spring on the secondary (unknown gray spring probably too high in stiffness for a light rider like me) and never adjusted belt deflection. When I got it, it topped out at 75mph at a whopping 8300RPM. With just cleaned valves, new adjustable aggressive angle weights and a dozen screws in the right engine mount it did 90mph at 7900 RPM. With aluminium engine mount and proper clutching it'll be back at 100mph. I'm guessing the secondary spring is stiffer than it should be on mine because as the valves clogged up it would struggle to get RPM especially with such a heavy rider and 2" lugs on 60/60 gearing, so they probably thought the secondary spring was to blame.

So what I'm wondering is, have you tried to fix symptoms and then over-looked something simple maintenance wise? I'm thinking wrong weights, old primary spring, old secondary spring, wrong shimming, wrong belt deflection. If it burbles maybe the boondocker is giving it too much fuel. And is the fuel connector open or closed (if I remember correctly it should be open only for fuel with ethanol in it, which tells the ECU to raise fuel input a tad).

I should point out that I'm using 71.8 gram weights now on the 122/285 primary spring, and the stock weights over-revved with 75 grams. But the adjustable weights have a more aggressive ramp profile so they effectively squeeze the belt more through the entire range even with less weight. Do you have aggressive ramp weights perhaps too heavy for your spring perhaps?

Premium Features