• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M7 Exhaust Valve Check Engine Light

B
Dec 17, 2007
Houston Texas
Help! So, rode all day yesterday in deep deep powder and then noticed sled started sputtering (like missing or electrical type issue). Stopped. Then I started again and seemed to work fine. Then on the trail down the hill the check engine light did the 6 flash exhaust valve malfunction and the sled went into limp mode. While 'limping' down the trail the sled quit and I couldn't start it again.

Anyone have any ideas? (a few rides ago I cleaned the valves and the cables are adjusted correctly so its not that)

I had to be towed out by a scummit...very emabarrasing....

A
Nov 26, 2007
Arlington, WA
Talked to the race shop at cat. Said some had just fried and some just needed a flash. I got lucky I guess. I did all the checks on the servo and all checked out there. If you can get a performance manual it will take you through the steps. Resistance values etc. One of the checks if I remember right was to put power right to the servo, but I can't remember the voltage. Pretty sure it was 12 volt. Better check. If you can't find one, pm me and I'll check for you.

B
Dec 17, 2007
Houston Texas
Can't figure it out!

So, hooked a battery up to the servo motor as directed in the service manual and the servo motor appears to work. However, I was not able to get a conclusive result on the "potentiometer test" for the servo unit as I don't have a very good multimeter. I swapped the ECU with one out of my buddies M7 and the sled still doesn't start so its not the ECU. The first time I pulled it over with the new ecu it fired and I could see the check engine light started to illuminate....

I'm going to swap servo motor next to see if that works. Any other thoughts/suggestions????

B
Dec 17, 2007
Houston Texas
Yup, it has spark, and I tried new plugs. And I tried my buddies servo motor and its not that either!

So, it has spark, seems like its getting fuel, not servomotor, and not ECU.....don't know...going to take it into the dealer.

What's really strange is that it if you leave it ahwile it will sometimes fire once or twice and then nothing.

B
Nov 26, 2007
Mine just did the same thing today!!!! Runs fine as long as I don't spank the throttle and get into the rpm range where the valves open it's good. So as I snap it the damn light starts to flash and it goes into limp mode. Mine still starts and runs though and light does not come on until I get into the right rpm's. If anybody has any ideas????? I'm thinking of pulling the servo motor off of my CXF 7 and trying it but don't want to if its something else. PLease help!!!!!!

T
Jan 28, 2008
Lander, WY.
I am assuming you guys know the square Triangle and circle code stuff as far as swapping ecu's that are the same?

I also wouldn't rule out a short in the wires to your tail light (strange as it may seem) My sled took a crap at 150 miles and it was a short in the tail light wiring. Could be dragging down the electrical and funking up the servo motor.

Long shot I know but cheaper than ECU's

B
Dec 17, 2007
Houston Texas
yup, we had the same ECU's that I tried swapping. Can't get it started now, sometimes if I leave it for awhile it will fire up but then quits (light is flashing). Has spark, has fuel, and had spot on compression. It's like the ignition shuts off as soon as it starts running!

I'm taking to the dealer on Saturday...should have answers Monday or Tuesday i hope.

Premium Features