• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ctec2 engine and ctec2 oil

fudge313

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2015
Finland
So has somebody put some other oil?
Or do people only use ctec2 oil in these?

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
Will be running Mystik in mine when I get it. Have never seen a engine fail from the type of oil it's running only lack of it...

E
Aug 20, 2011
Soo/Menominee MI
Ive heard from a few people with a few dealers actually telling them, as long as it meets the lubrication requirements you can run practically whatever you want. I know of 2 people running non ctec oil on their 600s.

cpa

Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2001
Utah
I have run different oil in the 600 my wife rides for 2 years without any problems.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I will add a sweet perfume to my oil so i can smell pretty!

Honestly, i heard that the ctech oil is thinner than most brands. How will that effect delivery?
I believe that not all oil is equal, but its not like ur engine will blow up because of this oil vs that oil.
I like Legends and i pay a lot for it. (I honestly get headaches from stinky oils[polaris, some amsoil] , strong scented candles, incense, perfumes )I would like to run it in the 18.

If the ctech oil doesn't stink and leave me with a headache i would just as soon run it.

Mountain Cat!

DDECKER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2013
CRAIG COLORADO
I will add a sweet perfume to my oil so i can smell pretty!

Honestly, i heard that the ctech oil is thinner than most brands. How will that effect delivery?
I believe that not all oil is equal, but its not like ur engine will blow up because of this oil vs that oil.
I like Legends and i pay a lot for it. (I honestly get headaches from stinky oils[polaris, some amsoil] , strong scented candles, incense, perfumes )I would like to run it in the 18.

If the ctech oil doesn't stink and leave me with a headache i would just as soon run it.

Mountain Cat!
Ctec has no smell I like it a lot better then the apv and been running it for a few years now good oil for the $

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
Ive heard from a few people with a few dealers actually telling them, as long as it meets the lubrication requirements you can run practically whatever you want. I know of 2 people running non ctec oil on their 600s.

Thats the law, they cant tell you to run there oil only unless they give it to free, they can tell you that you have to run oil that meets there specifications and if it doesn't they can deny warranty claims

B
Sep 24, 2009
Yakima Wa
Any idea what those requirements are? I tried finding the specs for APV & was unsuccessful. Looked in the 14 owners manual, repair manual, on the bottle, on the case box & asked the local dealer. Never did get an answer.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Any idea what those requirements are? I tried finding the specs for APV & was unsuccessful. Looked in the 14 owners manual, repair manual, on the bottle, on the case box & asked the local dealer. Never did get an answer.

betcha almost all modern synthetic injector oils meet the requirements and they dont want you to know that.

i been runnin the ctech in my 17 now for couple hundred miles. less smell, seams thinner which i dont know is great for the mechanical oil pump, but no problems. i like the easy pour bags. same price so why not

W
Jan 15, 2017
With running it in mamas 600, I started using it in my 14 M8000. I have to turn my pump down a hair because it does run rich, but have no issues with it. Does make the old 800 pull over easier.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
A few years ago I called Valvoline's support number and told them I was wondering what they had for synthetic 2cycle oil and they said they dont offer that because the oil does not have to last long like it does in 4 cycle engines.

Engine Pro 5x

Premium Member
Sep 20, 2009
KANSAS
All oils are not the same. Manufactures boast pour point and how good they flow in the cold weather. Look at how small the oil injector lines are. Just put a quart of the oil you use in the deep freeze overnight. Then see how easy it pours out of the bottle. Test a few brands and I think you will be surprised.

Premium Features