• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How do you shim the spyder on a 2006 m7

J
Dec 1, 2007
wyoming
I have a 2006 ac m7 I was cleanig the clutch to put a new belt and i noticed the sheave to belt clearance is about 3/8s of a inch. What tools do you need and whats the best approach. Any help would be appriciated

K

killerrf

Nov 27, 2007
sk
on the '06 it probably still has a one piece step shim. sooo... with a new belt measure the exact belt to sheave clearance. take your number minus it by what.... 0.020" is a good belt to sheave clearance. then minus the two.

on the step shim there is a small side and a big side. you will have to take it to a machine shop and get your fiqured number machined off. then when you put it back in you should have your 0.020" clearance.

you could buy the clutch holder tool, spider nut socket, spider removal tool. if you are only going to take it apart once just measure things up and take it to the dealer to take apart and put together.

if you going to go ahead with the tools then you need good size torch... butane works fine. and a 1/2" strong arm with 3' snipe. and a real sturdy vise bolted to a sturdy bench. have to heat the spider on the flat part... for a couple minutes to loosen the loctite. then remove the spider nut and using your 3' snipe try to but loose the spider. make to clean the threads on everything prior to reassembly.

when reinstalling use loctite... i think the green stuff (i never had a problem with blue 242) torque the spider in the area of 250-300 ft/lbs. install the nut and tighten.

on my '08 m8 i was expecting the step shim but low and behold... just regular flat shims in there.

Team Pigeon

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2006
Pass Creek, BC.
J
Dec 1, 2007
wyoming
Wow what a pain broke my vice right off the bench lots of heat and lots of cussing i got it apart. The belt to pully clearance was .083 a little much!! After being so loose for so long it has worn deep grooves in the clutch where where it has been enguaging. ANy ideas on what to do about that prolly gonna have to buy new clutch anyways any help would appriciated

K

killerrf

Nov 27, 2007
sk
probably not much you can do with the grooves but buy a new clutch. you can find them new for a good price on ebay. or run the old one if its not THAT bad.

Premium Features