• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Jackshaft

graham_r

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2008
British Columbia
Has anyone seen this before? Looking for some possible causes.
emu6yta2.jpg

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
Crap

emu6yta2.jpg
Cat's OEM jackshaft on the proclimb (800 and 1100) is weak - the quality indicates that they are likely made by the same vendor that builds the crap clutches they come with. If you're off warranty, get a better shaft from EVO or Belanger Racing Products. You'll be much happier down the road.

C

catf1000s/p

Dec 30, 2011
emu6yta2.jpg
I think you might be the one that called me or there are more out there that broke on the same side on the 14's
I have some 300M HD shafts in route to me right now if you want one.
From looking at the picture again I can see the sled is a 13 right?
The 12's had more of a problem with the stock shaft but there have been 13's breaking too, all so a customer called that had a 14 break off just like that too, just bad shafts period

Last edited:

graham_r

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2008
British Columbia
Cat's OEM jackshaft on the proclimb (800 and 1100) is weak - the quality indicates that they are likely made by the same vendor that builds the crap clutches they come with. If you're off warranty, get a better shaft from EVO or Belanger Racing Products. You'll be much happier down the road.

If I am to replace with a stronger jackshaft from either Belanger or evo, Will I break something else In the drive system? Chain, gears, driveshaft? Just a thought.

graham_r

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2008
British Columbia
I think you might be the one that called me or there are more out there that broke on the same side on the 14's
I have some 300M HD shafts in route to me right now if you want one.
From looking at the picture again I can see the sled is a 13 right?
The 12's had more of a problem with the stock shaft but there have been 13's breaking too, all so a customer called that had a 14 break off just like that too, just bad shafts period

Yes this a 2013 two stroke. It has a Boondocker turbo on it.

graham_r

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2008
British Columbia
Here is the back story to what lead up to this.

Climbing a hill 3/4 throttle making about 8lbs boost.

Track hit a rock and I think it locked up. RAils might have stabbed drivers, not sue though.

Lots of vibrations after that. Decided it was time to go home. When coasting down hill at speed no vibrations. When under load from throttle vibrations.

Shaft broke when under load.

C
Jan 7, 2009
alberta
Frank I'm the one with the 14 cat that did the same thing. Sled not boosted. Only linderman 925. Mine came apart at full tilt boogie. Not pretty. Also had cutler deflection set up. Not set to float only on for ease of deflection setting.This now sled #6 this has happened to. That i heard of. Not all with deflection set ups on. Some with stock clutches. Some with teams. Thinking crap steel can't handle the force. New shaft measured .865" od then goes up to 1.14" od. Thinking the sudden od change with little to no taper is creating stress spot. Seems like some are breaking faster then others. Mine let go at 200 miles.

Last edited:

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
Yes I was. A few people believe it played a role in it breaking. They think it created extra leverage on the shaft.

That is the feedback I am getting from some engineers. If you are floating the clutch you are more prone to weaken the splined portion of the shaft and cause breakage.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Teams testing showed this too which is why they made he float plug loose. I've seen more than a couple of NA sleds break. Nasty.

IMO it's a harmonics thing. I watched the wobble on mine (at center of shaft) on a stand with a timing light.
The Tied is a heavv clutch but a shaft of real steel should be good to go.

thekrust

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
South Okanagan
I made one that looked just like that last year. 2013 M8 all stock except for TEAM secondary, 1100mi. Makes a hell of a mess of everything!

Premium Features