• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Xtra 10 Front suspension into 92 indy 650?

F
Dec 2, 2007
Tenstrike Mn
Ok, I picked up a rear x 10 skid and front fox shocks off of a 98 xc 700.
The rear suspension looks pretty basic but i'm really having a hard time with
the front suspension. These shocks measure 16 inches from eye to eye. My sled was already widened to a 40" front and I think I need to go wider. With the springs tightened about a 3rd of the way up the ski's tow out when I push down on the front. Information about the this swap is vague and I would really appreciate some advise. I have read some stuff about using whole suspensions off of non crc x 10 front ends. I don't think i need all that
stuff to make it work properly but what do I know????

C

chadkrump

May 26, 2008
Amenia ND
Your probably gonna need to make ur radius rods and tie rods longer... I believe the measurements are

Your raduis rods need to be like

Top 12" long
bottom 16" long
an steering rod 10"

that supports the 16" ctc shocks... hope this helps ya... if u need more information contact me or get a hold of WIMPY on this site, he makes the kits for the front ends, all chrome moly tubing i think....

good luck

CK

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
What you are seeing is called 'bump stee'. It is what happens with equal length radius rods. It is exactly why Polaris came out with the crc front end. I looked at putting the crc front end on my old 650 triple, but the outer radius rod mounting point was problematic and was going to require bulkhead reinforcing.

The other issue you have with the longer travel is that the hole in the bulkhead where the steering rods come out isn't big enough (top to bottom) to allow for the suspension to travel it's full length. If you unload the suspension, like when jumping, the steering rod hits the bottom of the opening before the suspension travel stops. Same happens on full compression to the top of the hole. Snapped a steering arm doing this exact thing when I put the non-crc x10 on mine.

sled_guy

Premium Features