• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

For Those Considering The Phazer MTX

K
Well, 5 rides later on my 2007 new to me, Phazer MTX and yesterday made up my mind......it's going up for sale. Repeated attempts at a moderate incline ending in frustrating defeat and DIGGING OUT! My Buddy told me to try his 07, RMK 600 and that was it. I could not believe the difference !!!!! Totally effortless! Climbing, handling and complete control.
He tried my Phazer which ended in defeat for him as well and his words to me were, "get rid of it".
I would consider turboing it but I just don't like how it handles compared to the RMK.
They are a fun "playful" little sled but just not enough jam when you want it. As soon as I find a RMK 600 or 700 I can afford I'm gonna gain 10 lbs because I'll be digging out a lot less. :rolleyes:

Butta

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Congrats, you've found out the hard way what the Phazer is really designed for (or NOT designed for). A 14" track on an 80 hp machine ain't gonna cut it in the pow. It's a kids sled (stock) and fine for trails/open meadows with a little fluff, but it isn't designed for hillclimbing or breaking trail in the deep. The RMK 600 is a good option, better flotation, more power, better boondocking characteristics in the deep.....I suggest you look at what it is that you want out of a sled (i.e. WHAT is your riding style) before diving into another one.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Meeker, Colorado
Both good comments but there is enough bashing of sleds on this forum, either you like it or you dont. I prefer yamahas rider forward over any other brand out there. The nytros to big and under powered and the phazer is just right and under powered so both need work pick what you like. To each his own enjoy the polaris.

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
fourstrokesolutionsllc.com
A 600 or 700 RMK out performing a 500cc 80 hp sled, well Duh.:rolleyes:
A buddy has one, and I'm suprised where he can take that thing. Even in deep snow. He is a pretty good rider, about 35 years experience most of it on smaller lower powered sleds. So he knows how to get the most out of it, ie pick the right lines and tape the flipper to the bar!
Point is if your used to a higher powered sled, you most likely wont like the Phazer. However if your switching from a 500cc or fan sled, I think most riders would be pleased with it.

G
Nov 30, 2007
KFD070; You got to be s**ting me you bought a Phazer and did not read about the sled before you did! The sled is not a powerhouse and everyone has know that for years! well maybe not everyone :) The sled is the best for what it was built and that's about it.
I have two of them and would not take a 2 cycle for ether of them, but I know what I want them for and it's sure not the steep and deep.
We have a lot of people looking for Phazers in out area of the States but they have to be the $4000 variety.

T

Tackbtch

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 12, 2004
Trout Creek MT
It is what it is....

I bought the Phazer to check out the 4 stroke engine, sled. Still run a 04 800 Rev, The Phazer is the 500 sled in our stable. I don't think I would have bought one if it was the only sled we could afford. It is a blast...challenge...to ride, fun times in the set up snow, definitely not your deep powder sled. We slipped a 153 track under it , and the daughter rides the dog sht out of it when shes home from collage.:face-icon-small-hap Who knows maybe next season it may have a hairdryer mod:rolleyes:. It is the funist 500 class sled I have rode ever...ya it has some flaws but show me a sled that doesnt....Dino

As already stated above, comparing a 600 RMK to a Phazer is just not a fair comparison. It's like comparing a Mustang to a Jeep. My Phazer MTX is not going to win any hill climbs, it's not going to be the first to blast across a deep meadow or even a flat frozen lake. But it's not that kind sled, it's like a Jeep or little John Deer Tractor, it just keeps put-putting along and it's fun to ride, perfect for the wife and maybe a young teenager. If you want a deep-powder, hillclimbing sled, you're right, the RMK or similar sled, like maybe a Nytro MTX, is for you.

Max:D

K
Thanks for the feedback guys. I didn't mean to start a "sled bashing" thread here. Just thought it might help anyone considering the Phazer to not make the same error I did.
I did do a lot of reading up on the Phazer before I bought it. I've always considered myself to be a pretty conservative rider so I figured 80 HP would be enough if it was combined with "Go anywhere..just at a lower speed" type of comments I got from so many people. I guess I'm not as conservative as I thought.
If I planned on always being on a good base, no deeper than 12" to 14" and I stayed away completely from powdery hills...yeah it would do me okay.
Handling wise..... I read so many guys saying they are great machines for the Wife and Kids. My Wife has seen me ride this thing and how tippy it is. She wants no part of it. She loves and does really well on her 200 MM 700.
Different Strokes (2) or (4) for different folks.

Anyone looking for a 2007 Phazer MTX with 1400 kms for $6000.? :D
I know in the US they are selling way cheaper but here in Canada that's what they are going for.

C
Nov 29, 2008
If you can't get it to handle more than 12" to 14" of powder then maybe you should take a look in the mirror ... not to bash ... no it wouldn't cut it in the real sttep mountains but have put in lots of strange and tight places with way more snow.

Its a fun sled but has to be ridden ... if you want to sit back and think that the 80 hp is going to do it all by its self than your are right and it will not work for you ... if you rise it you will be suprisee at the places it can go.

K
Grown men expecting a PHAZER to be a fun, light, playfull sled..... just bugs me. What did you expect?? The Phazer is light but its 500cc's. Its a kids sled.

I guess I did expect more from what I read about them. As I mentioned, I consider myself a pretty conservative rider...conservative enough that I don't need Supercharged Apex anyway. Sorry to bug you!
Everyone wants something different from the sport. Not saying you're one of them, but too many dudes out there trying to compensate for something with the type of sled they ride. :rolleyes:

donaldej

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 10, 2007
Corvallis Oregon
KFD070
Thanks for your reply, my wife has come to the conclusion she wants a quieter sled that doesn't smell of 2 stroke oil.:confused: . Anyway i'm just reading through the Yamaha section for that reason and appreciate the input. She is not a boondocker by any means but if there's 2 foot of power and an open meadow off she'll go. Looks like i'll start investigating the FX Nytro MTX.

DJ

K
KFD070
Thanks for your reply, my wife has come to the conclusion she wants a quieter sled that doesn't smell of 2 stroke oil.:confused: . Anyway i'm just reading through the Yamaha section for that reason and appreciate the input. She is not a boondocker by any means but if there's 2 foot of power and an open meadow off she'll go. Looks like i'll start investigating the FX Nytro MTX.

DJ

Hey Donald.
My wife is riding a MM700 and she is not a very aggressive rider either but likes to play in the powder in the meadows. She also rode my buddy's 600 RMK the other day and she really liked how easy it handled. May be another option for your wife. Two stroke, I know but just don't put a pipe or can on it.

Z
Feb 5, 2008
Jamestown ND
I will agree that this sled is a tippy bugger! But it is a fun ride once you are use to it. My woman too feels no confidence in herself on this machine. But I put her on my 97 - (97 sx narrowed frt, no swaybar, stretched 159) and she was a lot more confident! She just didn't like the high handlebars with no wind coverage. I think we'll put simmons skis on the phazer and tighten up the frt shocks before we try another machine. Not sure if we should get gen 1's or 2's.........any suggestions?

F
Nov 26, 2007
Arlington, Wa
I just bought my wife a 07 Phazer with 130 miles for $4200.

Looking at my options as far as newer chassis sled go, it was either stick with an M series(had m5) which was really bad on the trail. (My wife rides mostly trails) Or a polaris 600 raw, in which case I was looking at $2000 more. And didn't want another ski-doo. Wanted something really reliable, electric start, not smelly, and cool. Got all that as far as I can tell. I think it'll out perform the M5 also. The 1.75 paddles on the attack 20 track were useless. The phazer has 2". Also the 80hp of a 2stroke, not to mention a m series 2srtoke and NO bottom end power. The 80hp of the Phazer has WAYYYYY more torque and a much more useable powerband. It aslo has Awesome ergos and the cat ergos suck. I think it'll be a nice upgrade.

That said, I would never try to replace my 800 REV with a phazer. Just wouldn't compare. :D

Last edited:
Premium Features