• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

T-motion or Narrowing kit?

T

T.O.T.

Dec 26, 2012
Which would you do first?

I have an 08xp 154 so I don't want to dump a whole lot of money into it but I do plan on riding it for at least another 2 years. My guy at my dealer was telling me that I would be happier with the sled if I put the kit on it that narrows the skis. He suggested that over the t-motion.... and he also said not to worry about replacing my rear shock (which has extemely slow rebound that he says was due to the design of the sled). Any suggestions?

S
Jan 16, 2008
Lincoln MT
i am doing both if you shop around and wait for a deal you can get both for $600 and no your rear shocks are blown. rebuild them and it will blow you away. although i would recommend going with toms fox rear shocks and the relocate for $750 shipped.

B

blk9038

Aug 8, 2011
puyallup/edgewood
I would do the 2010 type skid geometry (or similar aftermarket kit) before either....then the 36".
Ok Brew you have lots of time on these xp's and seem to set them up right for our snow so here is my question for you on this, I got the 12 xp 163 shure don't side hill very easy except in deep powder( that we are not suppose to have over here in west. wa.) it is bone stock except skidpan and linq bag/gas can , i see most everyone unhooks swaybar (just like i did on 04 rev) but which mods seem to work best with it (12) to get it closer to what the 13 xm is like for our w.wa. snow (excluding tomarrow 3-22-13 or sat when there is powder). when it is harder to turn.

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
I have an 09. Do the 36" wide front. It willmake a huge difference. Then do the t-motion if you want. I did the t-motion last and yes, it did make a difference but wasn't near as the mind blowing change was when I switched to the 36" front end.

My shock is a little soft but I'll send it in to have my nitrogen redone. It's a Fox Zero Pro. If yours are the stock BRP things (junk, IMO) then yeah, they are toast. If you plan on keeping the sled to ride, save up and find a decent set of Fox or Exit shocks and install over the summer

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Ok Brew you have lots of time on these xp's and seem to set them up right for our snow so here is my question for you on this, I got the 12 xp 163 shure don't side hill very easy except in deep powder( that we are not suppose to have over here in west. wa.) it is bone stock except skidpan and linq bag/gas can , i see most everyone unhooks swaybar (just like i did on 04 rev) but which mods seem to work best with it (12) to get it closer to what the 13 xm is like for our w.wa. snow (excluding tomarrow 3-22-13 or sat when there is powder). when it is harder to turn.

I left the swaybar on my '12....and I'm not a big fan of swaybars but I felt on this sled it worked better in most aspects with the bar.
For me, the limiter in stock (3rd) hole, front skid shock soft-med, skis on 1-2 (soft) with swaybar, the most important thing for me was the rear scissor relocate brackets to help keep the nose down :face-icon-small-win. That was one thing they did on the XM also....and in reality probably one of the most noticable changes IMO....along with the new spindles and skis. Make sure the bar riser isn't very far forward of the post angle....in-line or just slightly forward.
Once I got it setup it didn't feel a heck of a lot different from my XM as far as sidehilling.

S
Jan 16, 2008
Lincoln MT
brew i know you sell the brackets you are saying moving the rear scissor back about an 1" is the biggest difference? i find this hard to believe. can you point me in the direction of a thread or threads somewhere where someone besides you raves about the relocation. and BTW my xp doesnt wheelie out of control at all.

S
Jan 16, 2008
Lincoln MT
with toms fox suspension and relocate for front skid shock mine doesnt sag much at all and doesnt seem to effect things at all. with brews brackets it seems you put his relocate on. then it sits even lower, then you need lift brackets...

B
May 13, 2009
i have the narrow front and made a huge difference on the 2010
just put on the t-motion and its really nice
buddys 2013 is still easyer to toss on its side though
i do recomend the s36 though

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
with toms fox suspension and relocate for front skid shock mine doesnt sag much at all and doesnt seem to effect things at all. with brews brackets it seems you put his relocate on. then it sits even lower, then you need lift brackets...

I can't take credit for the brackets, they are made by the Micku's in BC.
Yes, at rest a sled will sit a little lower when the scissor is moved back, BUT with the change in geometry it is now firmer and has less weight transfer so under actual riding it will sit at the same or even higher than stock.

T

T.O.T.

Dec 26, 2012
Obviously a little late getting back to this as rodeo season geared up right after I posted! Definitely gave me some thoughts to ponder.... Sat in the shop staring at my sled in storage tonight and am ready for some snow!

07SummitX800R

Dec 2, 2007
Stansbury Park, Utah
I have an '08 and did the T-Mo kit and scissor relocate with a 2010 shock and the difference wasn't as noticeable. I'm doing the s36 kit now as I heard its much more noticeable an upgrade than the T-mo. I'm also doing the track breaking on my original track to help the t-mo along a little.

Premium Features