• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

RMSHA Racers Needed!

109RMSHA

Nov 9, 2011
Im out to get some opinions and ideas about what it would take to get some of you great riders to come try racing hillclimbs. We are in need to make this sport grow and would like to know what is keeping people from trying it. Please give honest opinions. Thanks Justin Jacobson

P
Nov 27, 2007
Well for me I can not afford possibly trashing a sled every other weekend. Just normal wear and tear parts keep me half broke..no dealer support round my parts. And the nearest event for me is 600 mile drive. So I would say largest obstical is the almighty doller...I sure do injoy watching though.

SLDHVN

Premium Member
Mar 7, 2008
Sled Heaven
Mileage(since i live in MT), so most races are close to 600+ miles trip= big $$$.

Not that I dont have awesome friends I can hop in with for a ride, but for the most part its cost(for me). I would love to race again though because I had a frickin blast!

Wyorever

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2011
SW, WY
Mostly cost of buying parts for sleds.

Used to race RMEC on dirt bikes but got too expensive so had to quit doing that.

Where are the majority of the races located?

S

snwman77

Banned
Nov 27, 2007
Firestone Co.
tooo far away!

I think RMSHA needs to hold some hill climbs in Colorado and southern WY.
Its just too far for a lot of good riders in Colorado to drive 8 hours one way to race.
There is a lot of interest in hill climbing in Co. But no one is holding races. Has RMSHA tried to run some races here?

S

snopro176

Nov 27, 2007
Yuba City,CA
some California races would help be a tad. Ive wanted to race rmsha since i watched the kirkwood ca race on espn2 back in what?97-98?? The cost of the drives is about the only thing keeping me from doing it. We used to have hillclimbs out here for a short time and it was a freaking blast:rockon:

S

snwman77

Banned
Nov 27, 2007
Firestone Co.
Tried to this year. You can thank the USFS for our absence.

What can we do in CO. to help???
Is there someone we can call or write.
I bet the guys form Co that would race would be happy to do something.
Myslef and at least 3 of my friends would like to help.

polarisfornow

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jun 2, 2008
Beautiful Colorado
What about the Black Hills of Sd or somewhere in WYO? Prob wouldn't have the USFS problems here as we aren't as much of "green" states.

Racer220

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
43.463558, -110.762496
What can we do in CO. to help???
Is there someone we can call or write.
I bet the guys form Co that would race would be happy to do something.
Myslef and at least 3 of my friends would like to help.

The event was 99% ready to go until the FS yanked away the special use permit IIRC. You can keep in touch with Throttlecable on here and see if he has any more ideas. Sounded like the good 'ol gubment had our hands tied tight on this one.

How about an "over the hill" class. 50 and above? We might have a little more resources and time available.

There are a few Pro Masters classes. 40+ yrs. old is the main requirement.

What about the Black Hills of Sd or somewhere in WYO? Prob wouldn't have the USFS problems here as we aren't as much of "green" states.

Used to have a couple in more central parts of WY., but they were hard to get to from what I heard. Still have Afton which is an awesome hill, but that is about as far West as you can go without hitting ID. Not quite sure SD qualifies as a Rocky Mountain state, but hey, anything is possible. :rockon:

Racer220

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
43.463558, -110.762496
Justin

Looking at it from my standpoint I would say my overall expense (other than buying sleds) is equipment setup and entry fees. We both live in the 'banana belt' per say of all the races, so traveling expenses are relatively easy to take care of especially if you team up or stay in your own trailer. Everyone that would race would already have at least 1 sled that would work with little to no set up changes. If you want to go further than that it is up to you. Even with one sled though the costs can still add up quick. Belts, oil, carbides, clutching, traction, shock setup, etc... Some stuff you prob already have, other stuff you definitely need for racing.

I would point out that the issue of wrecking a sled every weekend isn't quite as prevalent as most people think. The only 'dangerous' hills IMO are Afton and Jackson for obvious reasons. Most the other hills are quite forgiving even if you have a major screw up.

S

snwman77

Banned
Nov 27, 2007
Firestone Co.
Long story short, From Co. its just to far to drive. the time spent driving sucks. Even if I could team up with other racers, one year of driving 8 hours one way or more for each race would get old. I would rather spend 30 hours helping get hill climbs in Co.

Last edited:
M
Mar 27, 2008
I agree with getting Kirkwood or Mt Rose going again California and Nevada!! These were some of my first snowmobile races ever and were great! Huge turnouts and a lot of classes if memory serves me right. I did MWR for a few years and it was worth traveling for but the numbers started dwindling and even if I won or was in the money and got payback it wasn't enough to cover expenses so I couldn't justify it anymore. Tons of fun though!! GET SOME RACES BACK IN CALI!!!!

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
I have full intentions of racing the RMSHA, but with kick starting my career, moving, buying a house etc, it will be a couple years before i can afford to get a couple more sleds and a race trailer setup and be able to drive down from canada on weekends.

maybe next year i'll come down for a one maybe 2 races in the stock class to see how i measure up and try to scoop some sort of sponsorship if i do well, but unless your buddies with the right people or have a very large amount of cash flow, its not that easy to start and. I ride to the tits and go hard when im riding and progressing means crashing and crashing means spendin some buck here and there so my $$$ go in riding, building, and repairing sleds year round.

S

SSF108

Apr 24, 2008
Mfgs

If the manufactures stepped up more we could see the sport boom.
Here's just an idea....
15 to 20 (or however many needed) sleds provided by the mfgs.
A few stockers, a few improvers. Set up in similar fashions for the weight and size of the riders.
Each racers buys their own insurance.
Each racer fixes the broken parts.
Each racer must qualify to ride the factory sleds.
Wanna ride mods...build it and show up in your pickup.
Driving to the races in a Geo with your gear bag..now were talking!

Last edited:

109RMSHA

Nov 9, 2011
All very good ideas and this is what Im looking for. I totaly agree with the cost of travel I think that is the one big killer with this type of racing. I hope to help make this sport grow. The manufactures do have the power and money to help but to convince them is the other thing to overcome. I know without more racers then the sport will die fast I have seen it already. Most important is making the sport fun and keeping the racers around that try it one time but have no reason to continue. How about the idea of adding a Amature class to the mix for the new riders with progression to semi pro with overall top placing as the factor to do so. Keep up the good ideas. Board meetings are in June sometime to bring these to the table

Premium Features