• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

C3 post forward kit garage report

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
So I had winterbrew put the C3 post forward kit on post of my XMs. I also had him put a 3" Fly Racing riser on it for my sons sled who is 6'-6'1". No ride report yet but I really like the way this feels just standing on it. I'm 6'4" tall.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I bought the straight shaft from them too and their bottom bushings. There was just one spot winterbrew had to cut on the air box to get it to fit. We did our XPs last year and didn't get the straight shaft and getting the air box to fit was really tough. The lower bushings are not what they should be either and there is a little slop up and down on the shaft. I hope C3 comes out with a better bushing setup. Every sled I own has steering bushing issues. Cat=complete joke. Pro=chronic sloppy steering. The XM is minor compared to those but still not right.

L
Mar 8, 2011
I bought the straight shaft from them too and their bottom bushings. There was just one spot winterbrew had to cut on the air box to get it to fit. We did our XPs last year and didn't get the straight shaft and getting the air box to fit was really tough. The lower bushings are not what they should be either and there is a little slop up and down on the shaft. I hope C3 comes out with a better bushing setup. Every sled I own has steering bushing issues. Cat=complete joke. Pro=chronic sloppy steering. The XM is minor compared to those but still not right.
Any pictures would be great

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Only pic I have....straight post and the brackets. Simple install once you figure out which way to mount the brackets, they fit nicely backwards as well :face-icon-small-con. Don't look at a XP kit and try to apply it to the XM or you will be taking it apart and doing it twice....don't ask me how I know this. :face-icon-small-win
The time consuming part is rerouting wires, cutting the airbox and the electrical plug holder that goes between the two supports (I just eliminated it and ran wires behind the supports).
This C3 kit moves the post 2" forward of the stock forward XM location.

post.jpg

Last edited:

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Running their post eliminates the cutting of the box though right?

I wonder if the rest of it is a bit easier with their post as well?

Overall it sounds like one of those jobs that's not all that technical, but kind of a pain in the butt? I wish I could see what skinz had for next year, but I think I may do this before the end of the season so I can get some time on the snow with it, and make any needed adjustments over the summer.

B

blk9038

Aug 8, 2011
puyallup/edgewood
Only pic I have....straight post and the brackets. Simple install once you figure out which way to mount the brackets, they fit nicely backwards as well :face-icon-small-con. Don't look at a XP kit and try to apply it to the XM or you will be taking it apart and doing it twice....don't ask me how I know this. :face-icon-small-win
The time consuming part is rerouting wires, cutting the airbox and the electrical plug holder that goes between the two supports (I just eliminated it and ran wires behind the supports).

I suppose the stock location you could do this also and make this tight fitting wire bundle work better also (remove electrical plug holder) in the process, just how much is that c3 brk assy anyway?

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Running their post eliminates the cutting of the box though right?

I wonder if the rest of it is a bit easier with their post as well?

Overall it sounds like one of those jobs that's not all that technical, but kind of a pain in the butt? I wish I could see what skinz had for next year, but I think I may do this before the end of the season so I can get some time on the snow with it, and make any needed adjustments over the summer.

No, you still have to cut the plenum, even with the straight post.

I used self adhesive aluminum sheeting as well as aluminum tape to form a recessed area for the post.
I think if I had the time, the best way would be to trim a little more off the plenum and reform with fiberglass.

Last edited:

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Without the straight post it's really a pain. You have to heat up the air box, best done with a propane HEATER. You have to heat up the box really slow then put a ton of pressure on it to get it to form around the steering post and leave a little room for clearance. Very easy to overheat the air box and make holes in it. Then you have to repair the holes and hope that nothing gets sucked into your engine. Even then the post isn't perfect. There is some up and down slop Brew is trying to limit with an o ring on the shaft. C3 needs to work on the bushings so they are done cleaner and take all the slop out. I'm still really glad we did it. Feels so much better and the risers are much more in line with the post now.

Nytroty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Chaska, MN
What i can't figure out is why C3 doesn't offer a carbon airbox that is molded to fit the post. Seems like they would sell one with every kit if you didn't have to jack around with cutting and plasic welding it back up...

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
What i can't figure out is why C3 doesn't offer a carbon airbox that is molded to fit the post. Seems like they would sell one with every kit if you didn't have to jack around with cutting and plasic welding it back up...

A guy last weekend said that the skinz setup for next year is supposed to require no cutting, just replace & ride... I'll believe that when I see it, replacing the airbox like you say is the only way I can see this happening.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Skinz is pretty sharp on the design and innovation part. You just won't be able to get one until May of 2014.

Premium Features