• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best layers for uninsulated monosuit

Cummins88

Lifetime Membership
Feb 5, 2015
Ottawa
Hi,

I've been mountain riding with insulated bibs and non insulated jacket and now I would like to switch to a non-insulated monosuit to avoid the times where snow comes up into my back.

What are the best layers you guys are using under your monosuits? Also, its been said to avoid cotton. What material should I be looking for in terms of a sweater to wear on top of my base layer.

Thanks,
Mike

griffin86

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2008
All I wear is a Klim 2.0 bottom and a T-shirt and Klim mid layer. I thought I would be cold, but I wasn't.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I do polyester under armor sweatpants and a turtle neck under armor base 3.0 in almost all conditions. Go lighter on the top if its over 25, and a second layer of some sort of polyester if below 0. I am normally a bit chilly on the trail, but never cold.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Honestly, it's a little different for everyone and what is "comfortable" for them.

For a top, I always start with a heat gear style t-shirt like under armor, then typically a jersey over the top of this. Then it depends on the temps for the day. If its really cold, I'll use my Klim heavy mid layers. If its normal then I typically wear a Klim mid layer that is lighter.

For the bottoms, if it's cold I wear one of a couple different base layers and then onto a Klim mid layer. Again just depending on how cold it is. If its normal, then I just wear my mid layer and don't worry about the base layer. For me, my legs rarely get cold, so, I'm usually pretty good there.

I should add that over the top of my shell or onsie, I do wear the BCA Mountain Pro Avy vest. When I changed from a tekvest to the avy vest, I literally had to start over with layering!!! Having the Tekvest under the shell is a lot warmer then running the vest on the outside, just something to keep in mind as well.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Merino wool base layers are the best IMO. Seem to naturally regulate temp the best. Then you can go from there for a mid or something heavier if needed.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
MICRO FLEECE synthetic polyester fabric

http://ezinearticles.com/?Advantages-and-Disadvantages-of-Fleece-Material&id=4421416

POLARTEC is the most well known mfg of fleece

Pic the brands from no name at $10 for a long sleeve shirt to a similar sled name brand like KLIM cost ya $40 pants are similar price.

Fleece best qualities of wool but with two great differences - both the weight and the cost will only be a fraction of what a woolen product will be priced at. This in particular is fantastic news for anyone who is allergic or sensitive to wool.

Polarfleece has a better technology than many of its competitors; its fabric is made in such a way that its innumerable air pockets work to trap body heat, so keeping you warm and insulated hour after hour. Their breathable velour fabric helps to increase the flow of air and so keep you dry and very comfortable especially during an outdoor excursion. To tell which fleece is of a quality worth paying for, feel it with your hands. A good one will be soft, thick and plush, and light will not pass easily through it.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/4421416

Go to ebay type size and polarfleece or generic microfleece

Would do 2 layers for shirts and one pair of pants or shorts

Or if you got money moreno wool https://www.woolx.com/pages/what-is-merino-wool

And if money is no object LLAMA !

Last edited:

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
No monosuit here, just uninsulated bibs and coat. Polyester fleece pants are all I wear for bottoms. Haven't gotten cold there regardless of temp. Long sleeve under armour cold gear top for a base with a MX jersey over that. Klim mid layer in my tunnel pack if it gets cold, or just to peel my sweaty jersey off and put on something dry for the trail ride home.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
... is this what you meant?...

I'm a Klim fan in general, but not blown away with their base layers. I have tried Klim, generic/sporting goods brands, and some ski brands from the ski/board store. The Klim is actually my least favorite....so I wouldn't get hung up on a brand for base layers. Buy the merino wool base that fits well, and that you can get the best deal on IMO.

That said, I see Klim has a merino wool offering this year....so I'll grab one of those to try.

RanOutofTalent

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2014
Western Montana
Klim 1.0 top for most days. Then the 2.0 when its around zero and windy or colder.
2.0 base layer all year until spring, then a 1.0 with the vents open on the bibs.

I am Klim all the way but the Under Armour is of the same quality and works well.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
... is this what you meant?...

I think LLAMA fabric will give KLIM layer gear a run for its money. KLIM jackets and Bibs are more expensive BUT not layer gear.

LLAma or Alpaca are very regulated in the US. Don't want to put sheep out of business ! Have friends who have them make nice blankets with the wool. They are territorial and will kill predators like coyotes , wolfs dogs etc. They have teeth that can severe a limb with ease BUT are removed in the USA. Alpaca vision is pretty good seeing a cat , dog raccoon miles away.

Llama fleece has been used for over 6000 years in the Andes region of South America. Llama fleece has some distinct advantages. It offers a 40-50 degree comfort range, versus the 15-20 degree range offered by synthetic layers. It still insulates when wet. It will not compress, clump, or mat with time. And it will not shrink when washed. Additionally, llama wool has hypoallergenic fibers which will not cause irritation. Its antimicrobial fibers do not retain body odors. Unlike wool processing, llama fibers do not require chemical agents, and the naturally soft fibers also do not require the super washing or resin coating used to process merino wool.

Last edited:
J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
^ I have had some Alpaca wool foot sole inserts for work boots in the winter. They were awesome. Something to be said for the natural fabrics IMO.

I also have friends with Llama's and Alpaca....their animals are very friendly and live with dogs and people full time. They are pretty hilarious actually

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
^ I have had some Alpaca wool foot sole inserts for work boots in the winter. They were awesome. Something to be said for the natural fabrics IMO.

I also have friends with Llama's and Alpaca....their animals are very friendly and live with dogs and people full time. They are pretty hilarious actually

All engineers try to do is imitate or enhance nature

ziggity

Premium Member
Mar 30, 2015
I wear a shell / UA 3.0 base layers in most condtions. If its a bit warmer and im working a lot I use a thin klim base layer.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Wouldnt mind trying some merino wool... any recommendations for a tall skinny guy?

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I run pretty hot and it rarely gets below 20 here in WA. Wear shell pants and jacket with just under armor/klim 1.0-2.0 base layer top and bottom. I also wear a tek vest and that is hot while riding. I don’t stop very often or for very long though or I’ll get chilled fast. I’m cold for the first 15-20 min then comfy the rest of the day. I’d rather be on the cool side than sweating hard all day.
On colder days or days riding with bigger groups I’ve been wearing a wool t-shirt. These things are magical. It rarel feels TOO hot for me and adds just a little more insulation and warmth. I can usually get a 20ish minute break in for lunch without getting chilled.
When riding in MT or WY when the its really cold I add a long sleeve Smart Wool top, lightweight or medium.
Btw I also carry at least one spare long sleeve wool base layer and a stuffable down jacket and down mittens in my BACKPACK. I also carry a military anti hypothermia bag in my tunnel bag. If you get caught out overnight wearing nothing but shells and under armor you will freeze.

Premium Features