• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

99 summit x 670 idle problems help

I purchased a 99x with 2800 miles and when I loaded it in it ran great other than when hitting throttle it dies but not stall completely. Seemed like the dess was loose. Once I jiggled it it seemed to run great. Sat for a month and tried running today in fresh powder.

Started today no issues when it started and when I went to take off same thing...wants to bog down. Tried adjusting key and no luck. Seems to run at high idle. It also seems like it wants to run good at maybe half throttle.

I'm new to doo and the dess key. Any ideas?

Also noticed the plug going into airbox was unplugged. Did not notice it when I bought it. What's it for...dpm??

What adjustments are made when running at seal level?

Last edited:

Skidoox

Lifetime Membership
Sep 4, 2001
Provo, UT
I would bet your computer is bad.
We had to replace 3 of them on 3 different 99 summits.

N

nuttyn01

Dec 3, 2007
Sioux Falls, SD
That sensor is the air box air temp sensor and yes it needs to be plugged in. The plug for it is laying above your DPM manifold in the picture.

Skidoox

Lifetime Membership
Sep 4, 2001
Provo, UT
You need to find another 99 that you can swap the computer with to see if it is the problem.

O

olymon

You mentioned sea level. Was this set up for the mountains and now you are using it at sea level? Have you put in sea level jetting and clutching? Sounds like a pilot jet that is too small with a 3000 rpm idle.

Making JIS screws into junk

I believe the problem has been solved. When I bought it in the fall I was told it was jetted and clutched back to sea level. I believe it was not because this was a back up sled. I'm pulling carbs off tonight. Any ideas what jets are needed for 0-2000ft and clutch weights.

Thanks

eddy

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
Sammamish WA
Runs Bad

While you are in there replace (do not clean) the pilot jets with stock. The run issues described above are consistent with gummed up pilot jets. The stock jetting in all positions will work from sea level to 14K (assuming all else is stock). Stock clutching should not be far off either (again assuming all else is stock). Those machines ran well in the day and it should hold its own.

summit800

Lifetime Membership
Jul 29, 2001
Graham, wa.
I ran the 340/330, I'd remove the carbs and clean them and blow them out with a air compressor,also check the fuel inlet needle valves

summit800

Lifetime Membership
Jul 29, 2001
Graham, wa.
also check the needle clip location , start in the center position ,but you will probley end up in the the one above center position

summit800

Lifetime Membership
Jul 29, 2001
Graham, wa.
also check the needle clip location , start in the center position ,but you will probley end up in the the one above center position, the higher up the clip the leaner it gets

eddy

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
Sammamish WA
Crank Seals

Well, in that case until the bottom end is freshened up: Nothing else will solve the issue as you have an air leak leaning everything out.

Premium Features