• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Snowmobilers vs. Wilderness

S
Nov 26, 2007
Everett, Wa.
Right on Snowsnob, seems to me citizens rights are being trampled. Isn't there a legal organization that "claim" to champion the rights of Americans? I could just see the ACLU stepping in to help us.

I'll throw in some money for a lawsuit, but you realize we are talking millions of dollars to do something like this. We need someone with deep pockets to help us.

That is the problem, everyone wants someone else to step up to the plate and bankroll or work to accomplish the wanted goal. As long as that attitude prevails there will be no relief. I have been fighting for many different rights for decades and have allways found the same result, everyone wants George to do it. Until everyone gets in gear and puts their lives, fortunes and integrety on the line and works like it is all up to them we will never prevail.
Freedom isn't free it requires much sacrafice and work. There is one enemy in this battle and they are us. Swampy:(:mad:

W
Nov 2, 2001
Boise, Id
Another option might be, build coalitions with other motorized/non-motorized groups, as well as conservative groups and hunting groups and citizens rights groups, to put some weight behind our fight. Unfortunately, finding a deep pocket benefactor, is probably the best and only solution to our problem. A full-time paid staff of people dedicated to keeping snowmobiling open.

I think the real problem we face is that "most" sledders see the sport as only a transitory sport. They do it 2 or 3 times a year, and know they will quit it in another 4 years, so they don't care.

I've been to every land meeting that I know about, around Southern Idaho.

Last edited:
S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
Another option might be, build coalitions with other non-motorized groups

the local club is trying that now with the xc skiers.it will be interesting to see if sledders get anything out of it.

W
Nov 2, 2001
Boise, Id
We actually have a lot in common with Mountain Bikers. And even people that like to walk with their dogs. Backcountry skiers on snowmobiles. Backcountry horsemen. And climbers. All these groups feel threatened by the anti- groups.

H
Nov 26, 2007
Lake Cle Elum
Be careful with the xc crowd that is not a winning combo, you will lose area to "voluntary non motorized" only to have it become mandated. They have nothing to lose but if some how you could get them to help you back opening a new area in return for support of off road closures close to the snow park in flat land it might be worth it but only to some.What they will try and do is threaten to close some of your good area and then bargain to make it a closer to the snow park area. BTDT

Hill

T
Nov 26, 2007
coeur dalene, idaho
We actually have a lot in common with Mountain Bikers. And even people that like to walk with their dogs. Backcountry skiers on snowmobiles. Backcountry horsemen. And climbers. All these groups feel threatened by the anti- groups.

wade
it seems that the backcountry horeseman want more wilderness than any other group.

I do agree with you though, i contacted the imba on there stance with the region 1 decision to treat proposed wilderness as wilderness. Now the International Mountian Bike Association did not want to join with saws on fighting this, but the land use guy for imba did get me in contact with a person who is also fighting the battles. So there has been some talk between organizations but that will be a slow process.

tim

T
Nov 26, 2007
coeur dalene, idaho
I thought horses weren't allowed into wilderness?

no offenese, but you don't get into wilderness areas much, do you?

horse and foot travel only, at least on land.
rivers you are allowed mechanicalized transport. Just not motorized. I know it doesn't make sense. Rafts and kayaks use fulcrum and levers which make them mechanicalized. But you are allowed to float the wilderness rivers with them. I actually get to go on a main salmon float trip. We put in june 9. Floating thru the frank church river of no return wilderness. It will be one hell of a bachelor party.

tim

W
Nov 2, 2001
Boise, Id
Oh I beg to differ. Talked to the president of the Backcountry Horsemen down in Colorada at a big horse show. He was scared as hell that horses are next. He said that they were recommending all horse people start working with motorized users.

They know that the data against them is hard to dispute. No one feeds certified like their suppose too, and the weed infestations are starting to get a lot of play in the FS. Blaming everything from invasive species, forest fires, to erosion. The whole horse path stuff doesn't amount to a hill of beans next to weeds. Horses in wilderness days are numbered. And then, they'll be looking for a new non-motorized place to play.

Yha I work with a IMBA guy. They had a huge riff in the organization. Anti-wilderness won. The nationals are printing stories from both points of view. Hard to consider yourself a greenies earth friendly, human powered recreational. Then get told you suck, and your not good enough to play in the wilderness. Good question, how does mechanical advantage rafts get play, when mechanical advantage bikes don't. They should be required to body surf the river, with no clothes on.

Last edited:

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
no offenese, but you don't get into wilderness areas much, do you?

No offense taken, actually I don't think I have ever been in a wilderness area, but when I was looking around at the restrictions I found a lot of issues with the pack horse crowd as shown in Wades post. I guess I thought that the Bob Marshall or one of the Wilderness areas in Western Montana were limiting horse traffic, but I guess not.

Oh, I place more importance on having correct info than looking (sounding) stupid, hence why I sound stupid most of the time. :D Thanks for the correction.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Everett, Wa.
Oh I beg to differ. Talked to the president of the Backcountry Horsemen down in Colorada at a big horse show. He was scared as hell that horses are next. He said that they were recommending all horse people start working with motorized users.

They know that the data against them is hard to dispute. No one feeds certified like their suppose too, and the weed infestations are starting to get a lot of play in the FS. Blaming everything from invasive species, forest fires, to erosion. The whole horse path stuff doesn't amount to a hill of beans next to weeds. Horses in wilderness days are numbered. And then, they'll be looking for a new non-motorized place to play.

Yha I work with a IMBA guy. They had a huge riff in the organization. Anti-wilderness won. The nationals are printing stories from both points of view. Hard to consider yourself a greenies earth friendly, human powered recreational. Then get told you suck, and your not good enough to play in the wilderness. Good question, how does mechanical advantage rafts get play, when mechanical advantage bikes don't. They should be required to body surf the river, with no clothes on.

Definately the backcountry horsemen understand they are next. I packed from the mid 70's until 1996 and I had many confrontations with the trail mix crowd. They absolutely hate the effect the horses have on "their" trails.
Fortunately there were a lot of National forest people who rode and cover the wilderness area and they tried to ignore the greenies. I have not packed since 1996 so I don't have knowledge of the situation now but I can only guess it has to be much worse since the whackos want total ban of access to the areas. Swampy:D:beer;

T
Nov 26, 2007
coeur dalene, idaho
I am glad that your guys expierence withth backcountry horeseman has been better than mine. That group is usually accross the table from me at the land use meetings. However i am probably biased since they got mountain bikes kicked off of a 10 mile single track loop trail 2 miles from my house.
I have used horse quite a bit for hunting.

This thread has now gone to where, the thread about, doing more than one sport was about.

B
Jan 18, 2008
Western Slope, CO
If every one that has posted on Snowest would write a letter to their senator and congressman along with FS we would have a voice. I enjoy horseback riding in the forsest and the wilderness. Our family goes camping and we take our ATVs as much as we can in the summer and fall. Snowmobiling is our winter sport. I have and continue to write letters in support of multiple use areas and hope that others will as well. I always ask for less Wilderness - just to make my point. It is our Forest and Wilderness areas, we do have a say, but you have to say it.
United We Stand!!!
:):):)

Premium Features