• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mounting grippers on a 18 mtn cat

tinkerjohnson

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2008
Southern utah
I have a question for the guys who have mounted grippers on your ascender. What do i need to mount them? I haven't tried yet just figured I would see if I need and special parts to make it work. Thanks In advance

Qreiff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
Cat Part #'s:

Axle Spindle: 2603-813 X2

Ski Rubber (dampner): 3603-237 X2

Trim carefully some of the rows of nubs on the bottom of the ski rubber to fit the Gripper ski. Trim carefully to ensure a tight fit with the ski bolt.

You will use the Polaris ski bolt and other hardware other than what I listed above.

Just did mine a couple weeks ago. Sweet!

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Don't cut a V, that just splits the rubber faster.
Big improvement over the 16-18 skis.
I actually prefer the 12-15 cat ski over the 16-18cat ski. They are more predictable.

eldereldo

Lifetime Membership
Feb 23, 2014
Don't cut a V, that just splits the rubber faster.
Big improvement over the 16-18 skis.
I actually prefer the 12-15 cat ski over the 16-18cat ski. They are more predictable.

They certainly were, you could be sure they would disappear into the snow as soon as you went off trail. :face-icon-small-ton

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
The original don't float the best, thats for sure.
The 16-18 can become uncontrollable in certain conditions, damn scary uncontrollable!
If u Haven't seen those conditions i am glad, hope u don't.
They certainly were, you could be sure they would disappear into the snow as soon as you went off trail. :face-icon-small-ton

eldereldo

Lifetime Membership
Feb 23, 2014
The original don't float the best, thats for sure.
The 16-18 can become uncontrollable in certain conditions, damn scary uncontrollable!
If u Haven't seen those conditions i am glad, hope u don't.

Totally possible, I haven’t experience any issues with the skis on my 18, on the 14 I put on Powder Pros, if I could find a cheap set of grippers I would try them, but they are kind of hard to come by.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Buy the 2019 cat ski, use ur hardware and ski loops.
Skis are $140 set, dampeners $17 set. Cut ur spindle bushing down to correct size.
Use 2 of the 4 spacers on the outside of the ski if u don't want to buy shorter bolts...

After the 18ski tried to kill me, i actually pulled the skis off my 14 and ran those till i could get some grippers.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I don't know anything about cat skis. I do know I had the alpha dive out of sight when I was cutting a crossed a side hill while going downhill. I had to shake the bejesus out of it while full throttle to keep from going stuck. If it is diving then I'm not sure the 19 ski fixed the problem. I guess happening once doesn't mean it's an epidemic.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I don't know anything about cat skis. I do know I had the alpha dive out of sight when I was cutting a crossed a side hill while going downhill. I had to shake the bejesus out of it while full throttle to keep from going stuck. If it is diving then I'm not sure the 19 ski fixed the problem. I guess happening once doesn't mean it's an epidemic.
Well that's not what i wanted to hear...lol
I still have a set of grippers for the Alpha if the stockers suck.... hope i don't need to put them on.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
I had another buddy said the old skis were better too when I was b1tching about mine. I dislike the wide tips. they grab stuff when side hilling. I don't think the grippers have that? cats always had goofy skis. PolarWest's review of the 17s, like 90% of their negatives could have been solved with a set of better skis. sled just feels a lot better with skis that don't poke out the front so far. keep trying cat!

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I had another buddy said the old skis were better too when I was b1tching about mine. I dislike the wide tips. they grab stuff when side hilling. I don't think the grippers have that? cats always had goofy skis. PolarWest's review of the 17s, like 90% of their negatives could have been solved with a set of better skis. sled just feels a lot better with skis that don't poke out the front so far. keep trying cat!
Gripper has the same wide tip but it curves up more than cat. So much that while cruising through the powder they will throw snow up in ur face, unlike the cats.

CRJPilot

Lifetime Membership
Jan 18, 2008
Farmington, MN
Ive got a set of black SLP Powder Pros for sale, mounts to 16+ cat spindles. $200 with saddles and good carbides. Located in Twin Cities, MN.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Ive got a set of black SLP Powder Pros for sale, mounts to 16+ cat spindles. $200 with saddles and good carbides. Located in Twin Cities, MN.
They will fit 2012-2019.
All mount the same despite the rest of the spindle looking different.

C

cbc24

Nov 26, 2007
gp
I knew the newer ones were close to the grippers in shape. I am running a set of c&a bx skis and I do have to say they do not work well... you will always fight. Even a stock 16+ rides better. I mean you really dont have to waste the money on skis. As long as you dont have the french fry skis on a -15 your good to go! just ride!

Premium Features