• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BRP Official Statement on 2017 Gen 4 sleds

brpcare

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
May 26, 2014
Hey everyone,

We’re posting here to let you all know that we have some updates on the way for owners of 2017 Gen4 sleds. We’re definitely aware that some folks have experienced certain belt concerns on their 850-powered Ski-Doos. We’ll work with them to setthat right. Here are a couple points:

There has been some discussion over whether the new pDrive sheave system might be responsible for increased belt heat resulting in a shorter belt life. We have performed rigorous testing and can confidently state that this is not the case - the new setup is proven to not increase belt temperatures vs. the older clutch setup. We’re moving forward with the same system for the 2018 model year and beyond.

Many 2017 850 owners have not experienced any issues with their belt life. However, we are aware that there are a number of owners who have expressed concerns regarding the belt.

All that being said, we want to ensure that all 2017 850 E-TEC owners are taken care of and feel that they can enjoy their sled safely, reliably and without having to worry about these issues, so we are looking at certain MY18 changes might be made available for MY17. While we’re still evaluating next steps, we are committed to have an update ready for you well before the beginning of the upcoming riding season. As soon as we have more news, we’ll let you know here.

As always, if you have any questions, comments or concerns, please post them here and we’ll do our best to respond.

Thank you,

BRPcare team

Last edited:

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
I don't think I have ever seen a manufacturer come on a forum and acknowledge that a problem does exist and they are taking steps to ensure customers are taken care of. Good on you BRP! I think it's a great step and gives customers confidence that the issue is being dealt with and will be remedied.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I don't think I have ever seen a manufacturer come on a forum and acknowledge that a problem does exist and they are taking steps to ensure customers are taken care of. Good on you BRP! I think it's a great step and gives customers confidence that the issue is being dealt with and will be remedied.

This is what happens when your Forum Admin reaches out to the company and tries HARD to create a FRIENDLY ENVIRONMENT where the corporation feels welcome....:face-icon-small-hap

If we can KILL OFF the flame wars, you will see MORE of this and not less in the seasons to come..

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
. While we’re still evaluating next steps, we are committed to have an update ready for you well before the beginning of the upcoming riding season. As soon as we have more news, we’ll let you know here.

Thank you,

BRPcare team

Just want to back up that comment.

I know first hand that Ski-Doo IS WORKING this problem.

I have seen and spoken to some of the riders that are "Testing" possible solutions right now. From the conversations I have had with these other riders they are very close to having a solid solution to offer all of us to either resolve this issue or make sure it doesn't become an issue for anyone with a 2017 Gen 4 sled.

Since I have NOT experienced the belt issue on any of my 3 sleds, I have not implemented the "Test Solution" myself yet, as I would not be able to offer any feedback on whether or not it worked. But from those I have spoken to IT SOLVED THEIR PROBLEM...:face-icon-small-hap

ntm_08

Lifetime Membership
May 21, 2009
Thanks for the update. The list with upgrades for better belt life on the 18' models shold be the same for 17' models. Anything other than that is a patch fix.

Another issue for the 17' owners i see is this:
1. High clutch temperature is wearing on crank and shaft bearings.
2. Clutch roller bearings is dry after only 500miles! Heat issue!
3. Belts exploding, all dammage i covered by? Crank issues later down the rode? My sled is on the 6 belt. 3 have exploded dammaging belt cover, brackets, e module aluminium plate under clutch, footwell bracket etc.

Anything other than the same upgrades for 18' is not acceptable.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
If BRP reads this...please include with the update (as well as put in the toolkit of NEW sleds), a set of flyweight shims to adjust the P-drive for altitude. They cost pennies and takes 5 minutes to change. THIS, from what I have seen would address MANY of the issues people have had and will have in the future if they do not bother to adjust the weight for altitude. A guy shouldn't have to spend $ on aftermarket stuff just to get proper RPM/clutch loading.

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
This is what happens when your Forum Admin reaches out to the company and tries HARD to create a FRIENDLY ENVIRONMENT where the corporation feels welcome....:face-icon-small-hap

If we can KILL OFF the flame wars, you will see MORE of this and not less in the seasons to come..

Agreed!! I know it's frustrating when we have issues with these sleds that we've spent so much money on and the fact the season is so short. Believe me, living in New Mexico, mine is shorter than a lot of others.

However, these sleds are not designed and built over night and fixes to potential problems are not solved over night. I would sooner have a solid fix vs. a bandaid. I'm confident a "Good" fix will be issued. Otherwise I would not have snowchecked another one. Time and patients

S
Nov 26, 2007
Washington State
If BRP reads this...please include with the update (as well as put in the toolkit of NEW sleds), a set of flyweight shims to adjust the P-drive for altitude. They cost pennies and takes 5 minutes to change. THIS, from what I have seen would address MANY of the issues people have had and will have in the future if they do not bother to adjust the weight for altitude. A guy shouldn't have to spend $ on aftermarket stuff just to get proper RPM/clutch loading.

Bingo!

I would include a pin weight kit with a few different ounces of weights...

mtncat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2001
Wyoming
No clutch or belt issues, have had broken boost injector wires and broken TPS wires, so a improved harness should be on the list also. other than that issue the sled has been flawless.

Tahoe54

Lifetime Membership
Dec 14, 2007
Hey everyone,

We’re posting here to let you all know that we have some updates on the way for owners of 2017 Gen4 sleds. We’re definitely aware that some folks have experienced certain belt concerns on their 850-powered Ski-Doos. We’ll work with them to setthat right. Here are a couple points:

There has been some discussion over whether the new pDrive sheave system might be responsible for increased belt heat resulting in a shorter belt life. We have performed rigorous testing and can confidently state that this is not the case - the new setup is proven to not increase belt temperatures vs. the older clutch setup. We’re moving forward with the same system for the 2018 model year and beyond.

Many 2017 850 owners have not experienced any issues with their belt life. However, we are aware that there are a number of owners who have expressed concerns regarding the belt.

All that being said, we want to ensure that all 2017 850 E-TEC owners are taken care of and feel that they can enjoy their sled safely, reliably and without having to worry about these issues, so we are looking at certain MY18 changes might be made available for MY17. While we’re still evaluating next steps, we are committed to have an update ready for you well before the beginning of the upcoming riding season. As soon as we have more news, we’ll let you know here.

As always, if you have any questions, comments or concerns, please post them here and we’ll do our best to respond.

Thank you,

BRPcare team

Will you acknowledge and upgrade bulkhead issues as well? This was also changed for 2018.

TJ427

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2012
Bismarck, ND
BRP,

Thank you for working on concerns that many of us have with these great sleds. I appreciate your post and look forward to hearing about means to alleviate the belt issue that some of us have experienced on our '17 G4 since many of us are keeping it for next season.

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
Thank you BRP.

I know my 165 will benefit huge from the updated parts once available.

Made 300 ish miles on first belt, with diligent cooling stops. But I've never seen the clutches cool enough to immediately reach in and touch with out getting a second degree burn. Down the trail cruising or pushing over the handle bar deep Wyoming power. Clutches are always scalding hot.

Belt count went up fast from 300-320 miles. Up to 6 or 7 now. Some flat out exploded others blew out virtually every string, while others just flat wore out past minimum thickness. At around 900 or so miles. Not exactly sure since it is such a pain to scroll through the gauge to find the miles....

All that aside it has been a awesome piece of machinery, total blast to ride.

Last edited:

brpcare

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
May 26, 2014
Thanks for all of your feedback, guys. I'm compiling all your questions and comments and will reply back here soon.

I

i'llDooit

Nov 27, 2007
Duvall washington
Thank you BRP.

I know my 165 will benefit huge from the updated parts once available.

Made 300 ish miles on first belt, with diligent cooling stops. But I've never seen the clutches cool enough to immediately reach in and touch with out getting a second degree burn. Down the trail cruising or pushing over the handle bar deep Wyoming power. Clutches are always scalding hot.

Belt count went up fast from 300-320 miles. Up to 6 or 7 now. Some flat out exploded others blew out virtually every string, while others just flat wore out past minimum thickness. At around 900 or so miles. Not exactly sure since it is such a pain to scroll through the gauge to find the miles....

All that aside it has been a awesome piece of machinery, total blast to ride.

I can only assume that your sled would perform even better with normal clutch temps..(no belt slippage)...

Summit74

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
bozeman, mt
Thanks you BRP! Clutches are also scorching hot. Many lugs on my track are cracking also. The 3" track on my 2015 T3 XM never had any cracked or torn lugs in 2 seasons of riding.

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
I think this is a first ! A manufacturer coming on a discussing a problem and its pending fix. Very nice to see. I think this will pay off for BRP.

That being said this thread shouldnt turn into a bitchlist with every minor worry being brought up. This is about belts blowing , nothing else.

Premium Features