• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ski-doo factory bulkhead fix?

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
There is one thing I have learned about our sport.
When there is a NEED for a fix, the aftermarket SELDOM misses the opportunity to address it.

if this proves to be a long term problem, and if BRP doesn't address it for whatever reason, then I am betting some eager entrepreneur WILL come out with a retrofit fix.

Can anyone tell me what the overall dimensions are on this part?

They changed the recoil on me for this model, so maybe they are offering me something else? :face-icon-small-ton

N
Nov 3, 2008
Mass
anyone ever notice renegades and mxz's bulkhead are always stronger? or maybe they don't get slapped off rocks and stumps much lol

if you want a sled that lightweight, don't hit rocks and stumps

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
anyone ever notice renegades and mxz's bulkhead are always stronger? or maybe they don't get slapped off rocks and stumps much lol

if you want a sled that lightweight, don't hit rocks and stumps

If they have the same bulkheads the longer suspension arms will induce much more force into the bulkhead and they should crack even easier:face-icon-small-dis unless they have a beefier bulkhead in that case there may be hope:face-icon-small-win

Wonder if someone could cross check the part numbers and dimensions.

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
If they have the same bulkheads the longer suspension arms will induce much more force into the bulkhead and they should crack even easier:face-icon-small-dis unless they have a beefier bulkhead in that case there may be hope:face-icon-small-win

Wonder if someone could cross check the part numbers and dimensions.

Just looked. Summits, MXZ, & Renegade use S-mod: 518328476

N
Nov 3, 2008
Mass
bingo. don't hit stuff with your lightweight sled, and nothing will break. go buy a heavy yam or a cat if you want to slap boulders all the time haha

if you smash a 17' renegade X 850 down a whooped out trail the bulkhead is still fine afterwards. because that's what it is meant for. however you take that same gade and slap it into a rock in -10 degree weather your bulkhead will probably crack. that's life

rmk all the way

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Dayton Wa
Thanks to Tom at tki I think we have a fix. Just have to run Polaris skies and then you'll break a arms. Disclaimer I took the picture from his Facebook and there was no comment on the bulkhead .
5bce04384458e71683af42238fbad14d.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
I had a high level of interest in the new 850 but I ended up getting a snowbike. It is too bad that they are having so many problems. I guess all of the Polaris bashing is coming back around to new Doo owners. It is sort of like the Polaris drives haft issues but a lot, lot worse. I assume that Ski Doo will warranty the problem. If they don't, I would be very bummed if I owned one.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
I had a high level of interest in the new 850 but I ended up getting a snowbike. It is too bad that they are having so many problems. I guess all of the Polaris bashing is coming back around to new Doo owners. It is sort of like the Polaris drives haft issues but a lot, lot worse. I assume that Ski Doo will warranty the problem. If they don't, I would be very bummed if I owned one.

Great post. I would have bought a snow bike to if I had no snowmobiling skills. ? I've never heard of anyone warranting anything that involved human error.

N
Nov 26, 2007
Chinook Pass, Wa
My dealer sold 44 summits so far with only one damaged bulkhead, and from what I understand he bashed it hard, so it would have broken anything. Other than that, guys are adding a little weight to the primary clutch. Nobody is breaking stuff or eating belts and we have lots of deep powder with no base here, so I don't think the issues encompass all of the summits out there. My group has 4 850s in it and we are all hardcore back country tree bashers and we are all over 400mi on original belts, our sleds are running awesome.

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
This is all very disappointing... it had appeared the doo had raised the bar in so many ways. I expected this sled to finally bring sleds into the era they should be by now , almost like a car or motorcycle. Add to that the claims that this sled has been tested for almost 4 years...... very sad.

Summit74

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
bozeman, mt
I have been following the bulkhead issue fairly close. Some of the reports I've read and viewed, sure make it seem like there is a legit issue with the strength of the cast and etc. It also seems like some people are reporting hitting stuff with no issues and others say, they were just riding along and bang, break the cast and etc.
Yesterday I hit a stump fairly hard! Hard enough I went over the bars and my sled stopped immediately. I had just turned around to chase after my two buddies and going in between a few trees, just getting going (so I was moving pretty slow through deep snow, the ski hit the stump square on and I flew over the bars into the snow. Today I was looking things over again and noticed I tweaked my ski just in front of the spindle. I have bounced of several other small rocks and etc the past few rides and no damage. Maybe I'm just lucky, who knows. What I have done though is removed the sway bar, removed carbides (added wear bars) and I have fox QS3 coil overs to absorb the hits
50644adc16dcf78d7ccabd029f23a5a4.jpg

I

i'llDooit

Nov 27, 2007
Duvall washington
I would assume doo will change the strength of the bullhead by the mix of pot metal, or what ever cheap crap they are using for the next year. We'll see. I'm not buying new In 18 unless the issues are rectified.... That means a good clutch set up joey, roosterbuilt, shr, ect. Bulkhead, grip heaters... Dial me in please...

B

blk9038

Aug 8, 2011
puyallup/edgewood
My dealer sold 44 summits so far with only one damaged bulkhead, and from what I understand he bashed it hard, so it would have broken anything. Other than that, guys are adding a little weight to the primary clutch. Nobody is breaking stuff or eating belts and we have lots of deep powder with no base here, so I don't think the issues encompass all of the summits out there. My group has 4 850s in it and we are all hardcore back country tree bashers and we are all over 400mi on original belts, our sleds are running awesome.

I think I met your group the other day but you must have been watching the Hawks, didn't see a 154" in the group all were 165's but must say they ride fairly good as they knew enough to keep skis in the air just like me when doing that hillclimb with rocks under the powder over on your side of mountains..

GolfPineAcres

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2008
Christopher,

I'm assuming you must have had no response from BRP corporate? In my opinion its much easier to not address the question at all versus address it with information customers don't want to hear.
My 20 yr ski doo buying experience tells me the above poster who got "replacement" from BRP may not be entirely accurate. BTW, hoping I'm wrong there. But, I have yet to see BRP step up to the plate on these issues. The dealer..... now thats a different story. If they feel they are going to loose a customer, the dealer sometimes steps up to the plate. Rarely, rarely BRP corporate as a company.
Not bashing anyone, or anything here, just stating my opinion and views. Also, still a loyal BRP customer.

N
Nov 26, 2007
Chinook Pass, Wa
I think I met your group the other day but you must have been watching the Hawks, didn't see a 154" in the group all were 165's but must say they ride fairly good as they knew enough to keep skis in the air just like me when doing that hillclimb with rocks under the powder over on your side of mountains..

Wasn't my group, we are all on 154s. We've been hitting the steep stuff behind Rimrock a lot lately.

Premium Features