• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ski-Doo 2017 Rev G4 Belt Issues Read This!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
I ride 4500-6500' and both my sleds (154 and 165) have been on 1 and I get 8200 all day. They definitely over rev if you want them to on hard pack. I have over 200 miles on each sled and have yet to blow a belt. I have never really had to the pin the sleds let alone for a long period of time. Guess I just suck at riding ?

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
A little info from what a buddy has done with his G4.
Stock primary on clicker 2 was 82-8300 and hot clutches and belt. No failures but it was likely just a matter of time.
We made a change in the secondary helix and spring, left the primary alone and the result was still hot clutches and same RPM. The helix was done to load the bottom end a little more but had no effect on peak RPM or temps.
Added 6.1g to the primary. 81-8200 on clicker 2 and heat is gone. Belt is that nice green color and the coolest clutches I have ever felt after repeated full throttle pulls.
From what little messing around with the G4 we have done, it seems like they need weight...lots of weight or drop the primary spring down a bit.
He can still add a couple more grams, he is still on clicker 2.
Note that adding 6.1g only effected peak RPM by about 100 rpm on the same clicker! I would add weight until you kill it, then back off a gram or 2.
The sled is also much quicker, using my sled as a baseline for comparison. This was at about 4500ft elev., stock 165.

I put the black secondary spring
24gram pin weight "Goodwin"
Mich. Upper UP 0-2000 feet? Fresh snow groomed trail
Clicker 2
Pulling 8200 on trail

Almost too much backshift
Got dusted by a stock 174 on a rolling start
Dusted the 174 from dead stop
Have not looked at belt yet
Did not check belt temps
200 miles 60-70% break-in
165x 3"

I'm 175lb without gear

Using Goodwin pin kit
FYI the Doo pin bolt is a 4mm
The Goodwin bolt is a 5mm
So dont forget to bring a 5mm allen

Last edited:

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Problem is doo has there heaviest pin in there right now and it is not enough. I have no doubt that some extra weight will fix the issues of RPM as well as Belt slippage. The softer spring should do the same thing with a lower engagement as well. I have a lighter spring coming and will get my dealer to install it asap. I aggree with Norona that the whole grumbling on the internet is of not much good for anyone. A handful of shims and springs to a few key dealers to try and report back could stopped these crazy keyboard charades dead in there tracks.

What would be interesting is to see what RPM different sleds
pull at different altitudes at what klicker setting.

How manny sleds are out there that pull 7900 rpm at clicker 2-3 or 4 and at what altitude. This may just give us a baseline for more than just our 3 sleds.

You can add shims/bushings or whatever we are calling them these days under the head of the bolt. Just watch for clearance issues with the spider, they can't be much bigger than the bolt head. This is what Doo had in mind with that long bolt, or the Goodwin kit has what appear to be a better grade bolt and weight assortment that can be stacked to fine tune the overall weight. Takes just a few minutes and nothing to take apart like the TRA to make adjustments.

T
Dec 11, 2007
Keep it coming please post your clutch settings rough riding altitude and RPM so we can establish a sure trend. Lets use this forum to get this fix.

I would think rider weight would need to be added as well to be as accurate as possible. I will post my results as soon as I get enough miles on my belt for a few hard pulls.

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA
Me thinks you need to mention the snow as well...was it dry, bottomless powder? Was out set up?

...I think the snow is a KEY factor in the quest to fix the clutching!

Ace

M

mtn mike on boost

Nov 26, 2007
Woodinville,WA
went thru all my extra clutching and bushing stuff and
found that if I added 9 grams, not a lot of threads left.
it would probably work, but cant add anymore.
according to roosterbuilt if I want to drop 200 rpm and load
the motor more, I will need 12+ grams. are these goodwin
kits going to add enough, or am I going to need a spring too?
the kits show 30,35, and 38 mm kits. whats the difference
longer bolts to give you more space for weight?

I feel like a total newb with this

CatMan88

Lifetime Membership
I ride 3500-6500 ft. On steep pulls in fairly set up but powdery snow i was pulling 8100-8200 rpm on clicker 1. max rpm on my gauge says 8400. just over 200 miles on the sled, break in is done and I'm pulling cords. taking my temp gun this weekend to check temps. Im new to Doo's so these clutches are pretty foreign to me. What goodwin kit do i need? any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

S
Nov 26, 2010
G4 850 154 over reving

Hey All;

Really like the last few post, keep them coming and maybe we can all put this over reving & heat problem to bed...! Love this sled by the way!

I am riding G4 154 I weigh 155lbs been riding mostly 2 feet of light powder or less mostly in the trees at about 50% broken in.

Fist few rides at between 3500 to 6000 feet running stock clicker setting which was set at 3 which gave me max rpm of 2350ish.

Last couple rides I have been on clicker 1 and and maxing out at 8150Ish rpm still have stock pipe & all foam in place. Have cleaned belt & clutches all looks okay, but no signs of it being green on sides of belt like my 2014 XM was.

Thinking of adding writes as I can't click down any lower.... any other suggestions or things that have helped.

I

i'llDooit

Nov 27, 2007
Duvall washington
This thread got real quiet real quick... Everyone must be putting weight on the primary and having it work out.. Funny how you read about people bitchin, but they don't come back to share a success story...?...... Thanks roosterbuilt?

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Can't believe how everyone is all over the map. Talked to some guys, from North Dakota at Cooke, and he was in 5 with diamond s can. I believe he said he was pulling 8100. I was still in 3 pulling 7900-8000 at 9000 ft. Another guy, up there, blew his belt at 200 miles.
Just a note to everyone changing clickers. Break them loose in the shop first. You would be really hard pressed to do it in the field with their cheesy little tool until they are broke loose the first time.

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
I think most guys that have been saying there was a issue for a long time now. Got tired of getting flamed for even saying there is a issue, so they quit posting about. I'd bet some even got it cured, but aren't going to say.

Just adding extra weight through a heavier bolt or washers does not eliminate the the heat FYI.

I

i'llDooit

Nov 27, 2007
Duvall washington
A little info from what a buddy has done with his G4.
Stock primary on clicker 2 was 82-8300 and hot clutches and belt. No failures but it was likely just a matter of time.
We made a change in the secondary helix and spring, left the primary alone and the result was still hot clutches and same RPM. The helix was done to load the bottom end a little more but had no effect on peak RPM or temps.
Added 6.1g to the primary. 81-8200 on clicker 2 and heat is gone. Belt is that nice green color and the coolest clutches I have ever felt after repeated full throttle pulls.
From what little messing around with the G4 we have done, it seems like they need weight...lots of weight or drop the primary spring down a bit.
He can still add a couple more grams, he is still on clicker 2.
Note that adding 6.1g only effected peak RPM by about 100 rpm on the same clicker! I would add weight until you kill it, then back off a gram or 2.
The sled is also much quicker, using my sled as a baseline for comparison. This was at about 4500ft elev., stock 165.

So everyone that has added enough weight to lower your peak rpm below 8000 is still experiencing hot clutches?

N
Nov 26, 2007
Chinook Pass, Wa
Mine seems to be working good with the added weight. Gets hot when I thrash on it in the deep snow for a long time, but it's a machine doing work based on friction, it's going to get hot no matter what you do. Ride it smart, take a break and let it cool off once in a while and have fun, it's not a competition.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
I rode 2 rides with a washer added about 4.5 grams -- clutch was running cool no problem no belt dust clicker 1 at 3500 feet heavy coastal 3 feet. The second sled stock clicker 2 no weight but 3" track mine is 2.5 running hotter and most important belt slipping at high speed on the trail out is leaving tell tail black marks 3/4 up the primary clutch. mine again is squeaky clean. So weight does help, I am worried about backshift at higher elevation. I am going to the lighter primary first ( is in right now for next weekend nice engagement at 3300rpm) and possibly a stiffer secondary after that. My real job is keeping me from doing full on testing so it is one to 2 changes per weekend till it is perfect. About 3 to 4 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Premium Features