• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

17 174 Axys is 442 lbs...

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
That's the difference between the yami and the new Doo. One is actually quite light. Is it really that hard for you diehard poo guys to accept that Doo is getting their weight close to or even lower than the poo rtr?

LOL....uh huh.
So, using that "RTR logic" . . if yammi comes out with a sled that has a 2 gallon gas tank, they are right back in the game?? :)

Sorry guys . . the only accurate way to compare SLED WEIGHTS is when they are dry. Otherwise the "others" will just make smaller gas and oil tanks and less coolant capacity in an effort to compete with the lightweight rocky mountain king :)

But yes, dooooo is making progress. Heck, i would even consider one if she lost another 40 lbs, got a major facelift, and the price was comparable to a Axys.

Carry on . . .

C
Apr 9, 2014
LOL....uh huh.
So, using that "RTR logic" . . if yammi comes out with a sled that has a 2 gallon gas tank, they are right back in the game?? :)

Sorry guys . . the only accurate way to compare SLED WEIGHTS is when they are dry. Otherwise the "others" will just make smaller gas and oil tanks and less coolant capacity in an effort to compete with the lightweight rocky mountain king :)

But yes, dooooo is making progress. Heck, i would even consider one if she lost another 40 lbs, got a major facelift, and the price was comparable to a Axys.

Carry on . . .

I don't get why people say "I would consider one if the price was comparable" I just priced out an Pro-RMK and a new Rev G4 both the ones I would like to own, and price difference was a couple hundred dollars. I don't know where you guys get your "pricing" from.

Also a two gallon gas tank would work if the fuel economy gets me to the same place as an 11.5 gallon would. We all know that won't happen but if it did then it would be comparable. The new 850 "claims" to be more fuel efficient and "should" go the same distance as the 800 etec. Time will tell if shaving the tank down will work or if they will be regretting it. I don't know if it will be the same or if they will be running out of gas earlier, but no one knows as of now.

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
LOL....uh huh.

Carry on . . .

As far as price goes they are really close. Within $500 or even less. Which is quite surprising because Doo builds a lot better quality overall.

If yami makes a sled with a 2 gallon tank that can go as far as the Doo with a 9.5 gallon tank or a poo with 11 gallons then yes it is comparable. I've noticed you always bring yami up. We aren't talking about yami. It's Doo vs poo here. Get it. It seems your ability to understand is lacking somewhat.

As soon as we ride sleds with no fluids then we will compare them dry. But as hard as it is for you to comprehend, we ride them with fuel, oil, and antifreeze. So we will continue to compare them as we ride them.

So hard to comprehend isn't it? It's ok. Pick up your saddlebags and back away from the edge....someone might still love you .....it's ok. :face-icon-small-ton

Last edited:

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
So again, using that logic, we better start figuring in rider weight as sleds dont ride themselves. Also gotta figure in the snow accumulation on the sled while riding as we dont ride on pavement.

hummm...starting to make the old yammi propaganda video seem a little more accurate . . .LMAO :face-icon-small-ton

Smoke Show

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2008
Fort Nelson, BC
Are you saying this after riding both side-by-side, or is this what you assume to be true? I ask because i rented an xm 174 this season and thought it was extremely nimble in the trees. Of course I am coming from primarily riding an xp, but I didn't feel like it was a "pickup truck" by any means. I put it to the test too, quite a few steep off cambers, lots of carving 180 degrees around trees, climbing up river valleys. I didn't try an xm 154 the same day, but I didn't feel like I wanted the 174 to be more nimble. The only times I got stuck was going straight up some super steep heavily treed areas where I just ran out of power/traction, had nothing to do with not being able to hold the line I was looking for. Maybe I would have been less tired at the end of the day on a 154? But then again, maybe I would have had to dig out more on a 154 and been more fatigued? Would be interesting to hear if you ran both track lengths, in the same model, on the same day.

I've ridden different sizes back to back and the 174 doesn't "flip" around like a 154. so if your climbing through the trees and I try and pivot the sled on the back end by pulling back hard the 174 doesn't want to do it where I can with a 154. That being said I have to carry a lot more momentum with a 154 and I found I got stuck a lot more with it in deep snow as I'm not a pro rider. The 174 was way more forgiving as I could stop and go easier or carry slower speeds in the trees and it held a cleaner side hill. Fun Factor 154, what I do and how I ride, 174. Although I'm looking into spring checking a 165 for the new gen4 as that might be the compromise.

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA
For ME, what I want to compare is a 17 174 Axys, vs a 17 165 G4. These are the sleds I want from either manufacturer.

...I am going to want to see the weight with a FULL tank of fuel, and the oil tank at 3/4. This is how I leave the parking lot.

...with that in mind, I beleive MY 2 choosen sleds are will be within 10 lbs of each other! I can't lose!

Ace

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
For ME, what I want to compare is a 17 174 Axys, vs a 17 165 G4. These are the sleds I want from either manufacturer.

...I am going to want to see the weight with a FULL tank of fuel, and the oil tank at 3/4. This is how I leave the parking lot.

...with that in mind, I beleive MY 2 choosen sleds are will be within 10 lbs of each other! I can't lose!

Ace

Why does it really make a big difference ? When your out riding with your buddies do you make the rounds asking " how much you weigh today " ? .... Not ragging on you man but this whole weight issue on the forum is blown way out of proportion to what is actually occurring when riding on the snow .

I have yet to see or hear anyone at the end of the day of riding complaining about of heavy there modern day mountain sled is.

All 4 brands rip in the steep & deep if you haven't noticed.

DPG

C
Apr 9, 2014
So again, using that logic, we better start figuring in rider weight as sleds dont ride themselves. Also gotta figure in the snow accumulation on the sled while riding as we dont ride on pavement.

hummm...starting to make the old yammi propaganda video seem a little more accurate . . .LMAO :face-icon-small-ton

Lets factor in rider weight, for me on a Gen 4 Rev, weight would then be the same or less as some other people on an Axys. Just saying, and If it was a 5-10 pound difference no one is going to "feel" the difference in weight. You can say "you" can feel it but its scientifically proven you won't.

Again hardly anyone has ridden this new sled, so why don't you stop trying to BS your way around things.

Get off the high horse and quit trying to spread nonsense about every other snowmobile. Everyone rides what they want, 5-10 lbs isn't going to make a difference for me and most people, if it did bother me that much I would just lose the weight by changing my diet.

There is that Yamaha statement again, is that really all you can fall back on?

But back on topic I would love to get on a 174 and try one out and compare the two. I still have yet to hop on any 174.

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY

All I'm trying to say is when we are on the snow you can't feel the difference in weight because they are so close anymore. Dry weights are a baseline. Nothing more. On Polaris' website it says approximately 408 lbs for the 155 axys. So if they were 10 lbs heavier no one would know the difference and the same goes for Doo. I switched riders with an axys to my Xm and in the deep snow we couldn't tell that the Xm weighed 45 lbs more dry weight because in reality they only weigh 20 lbs different in wet weight. So bottom line is weight loss isn't what poo guys make it up to be. Look at the axys 174. 442 lbs. That's so damn heavy by your own logic.

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA
Why does it really make a big difference ?

DPG

...it makes a difference in that weight, being equal, is no longer a deciding factor in what sled to buy.

...now it comes down to

1) Handeling
2) Reliability
3) Price
4) Dealer
5) Warranty

...not necessarily in that order.

Ace

Ski-doo#1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2011
GreatWhiteNorth
WET WEIGHT

Wet weight wet weight wet weight it is all about wet weight. That's how the sled is ridden wet weight wet weight wet weight.

For now we can compare:
AXYS 163x3 vs G4 165x3
AXYS 174x3 vs XM 174x3

Soon we will be able to compare:
AXYS 174x3 to G4 174x3

If you want to compare the AXYS 174x3 vs G4 165x3 don't do it with weight because they are of different lengths. Do it by an actual test. I think the ALL NEW G4 *MIGHT* be able to out do the AXYS 174.

Maybe you POOPOO guys should ask Polaris to build you a smaller gas tank if you don't think the tank sizes are fair.

Well guess what that's how they are manufactured so that is how you compare them. Full Tanks vs Full Tanks blah blah

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Between a Rock and a Hard Place
Wet weight wet weight wet weight it is all about wet weight. That's how the sled is ridden wet weight wet weight wet weight.

For now we can compare:
AXYS 163x3 vs G4 165x3
AXYS 174x3 vs XM 174x3

Soon we will be able to compare:
AXYS 174x3 to G4 174x3

If you want to compare the AXYS 174x3 vs G4 165x3 don't do it with weight because they are of different lengths. Do it by an actual test. I think the ALL NEW G4 *MIGHT* be able to out do the AXYS 174.

Maybe you POOPOO guys should ask Polaris to build you a smaller gas tank if you don't think the tank sizes are fair.

Well guess what that's how they are manufactured so that is how you compare them. Full Tanks vs Full Tanks blah blah

If I only wanted to ride for half a day then sit down at the bar and talk about how I was "shreddin' the gnar gnar" like you doo guys, I would put in two less gallons of fuel. Then whats my wet weight?

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
If I only wanted to ride for half a day then sit down at the bar and talk about how I was "shreddin' the gnar gnar" like you doo guys, I would put in two less gallons of fuel. Then whats my wet weight?

Lots of poo riders claim they do just that but I have yet to see anyone only fill their tank 1/2 full.

Ski-doo#1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2011
GreatWhiteNorth

I also ride all day so that silly claim you make is just obnoxious. I've never used all my fuel in my Doo. Guess what we couldn't even use the last of the 10.6 gal we had in the XM because of tank design. So basically the XM has a 9.6 gallon tank anyways. Now add the fact that the G4 is more efficient and....??? We don't need a large tank!

The boys who need more fuel probably aren't doing the same riding I am doing. They can add the 3 gallon Linq fuel caddy and probably aren't too concerned about their weight.

Last edited:

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA
And so your tank is full as is mine and at that point the Doo weighs.........wait for it!!........LESS.

OMG!! I can't take. Look at the dry weight! Dry weight! Dry weight!

Lol. Am I right or am I right?

.. I agree with you. RTR weight is the only one I care about.

Ace

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
...it makes a difference in that weight, being equal, is no longer a deciding factor in what sled to buy.

...now it comes down to

1) Handeling
2) Reliability
3) Price
4) Dealer
5) Warranty

...not necessarily in that order.

Ace

I don't know anyone who buys a sled solely based on weight .... Most folks are very brand loyal ...... while others buy sleds based solely on color and looks ..... while a few buy based on the sleds ability to be modified ..... And some like 4 strokes while others buy 2 strokes .....

What I find funny is the guy seeking the lightest sled but adds Estart because pulling the rope twice to start the sled has become difficult.

Ride what you like they all go anywhere you can possibly want a sled to go with exceptional ease.

DPG

Premium Features