• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

GREASING THE PRO RMK... DO IT OFTEN AND USE EXCELLENT QUALITY GREASE

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
If you want your PRO RMK to work smoothly, function reliably.. and not cost you big money to replace parts that wore out prematurely... Grease the sled and do it often..

Greasing also pushes out old worn out grease, moisture and debris caused by wear.

DO NOT use normal axle greases... especially not the blue " Waterproof Boat Trailer grease".. that stuff gets way to thick at lower temps that typical mountain sleds see.... this will cause the suspension to perform poorly.

The stock suspension on the PRO RMK is great, but it does NOT have any bushings in it...so normal use moves the grease around in the suspension and you have direct steel-on-aluminum contact... frequent greasing will keep the sled working smoothly and keep it from wearing out too soon.

You would not believe the difference in the "seat of the pants feel" of the sled between a poorly lubed one and one that is lubed and set up properly. HUGE!!

Sure it will "work" if you neglect it... but it won't work well/smoothly... Proper transfer and bump absorption of the suspension relies on the suspension moving freely with no "tight" spots.

Get a good DEDICATED grease gun and keep only high quality, synthetic grease in there for this purpose... a Pistol grip, rather than a pump-arm type of gun works better (pneumatic or cordless is best/easiest)... with a long hose and a quality grease gun chuck at the end work best... the pistol grip allows you to hold the hose end on the fitting with one hand and pump the grease with the other.

I use RedLine CV-2 EXCLUSIVELY on my sleds for grease...It is priced well, you can get it from NAPA, Summit Racing, or other Redline dealers.

red80402.jpg

Other acceptable grease is Mobile 1 synthetic and the low temp greases that the sled mfgs offer specifically for these applications.

Grease the suspension often...every few rides... if you want the sled to work well.

End of the season or 1500 miles, whichever comes first... pull the rear suspension out of the sled... remove all of the cross shafts, clean out the bores of the tubes in the suspension arms... check the shafts for wear, replace if necessary and re-grease using this grease.

YES... PULL IT OUT OF THE SLED... It's easier than you think!

This is definitely worth the effort!

In addition, pull the ski off... grease the sleeve-bushing and bolt into the spindle. Some people even put in a grease fitting on the spindle.Often... it gets corroded, and you have to "jackhammer" the bolt out to remove the ski.

Other points are the drive shaft bearing on the PTO side, I like to grease the A-arm pivots too to keep it smooth and low-wear.

On the pro.. to keep the sled working well... pull the steering post and drag link bushings... lube them with the CV-2 (or similar) and you will see smoother steering action... especially when you have to use a lot of effort.

attachment.php

attachment.php

:usa2::usa2::usa2::usa2::usa2::usa2::usa2::usa2::usa2::usa2::usa2::usa2::usa2::usa2::usa2::usa2::usa2::usa2::usa2::usa2::usa2::usa2::usa2::usa2:

rear suspension.jpg steering linkage.jpg drive shaft lube.jpg

Last edited:

rocket

Premium Member
Jul 20, 2001
Wisconsin
A bit of an FYI on the driveshaft bearings - sometimes the bearings just don't want to take grease via the external fitting. On my newer sleds, I've seen grease just sneaking out between the OD of the bearing and the mounting flange and never getting into the bearing. Sometimes, disassembly is necessary to get grease into that bearing.

P

pura vida

Nov 26, 2007
as always, great post and info MH. i've been pushing this for a while with friends. although, admittedly not nearly to the extent that you did here.

pv

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Can anyone tell me why they tell me to grease my jack shaft bearing when there is no grease fitting there to grease?

Good question... The Jackshaft is not greasable.

I guess you could put a drive shaft bearing on there and a flangette with a zerk fitting and do that...but a bit of work...

The PRO chassis manual calls this out as "NOT GREASEABLE"

From the Polaris Service Manual 2012.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Can anyone tell me why they tell me to grease my jack shaft bearing when there is no grease fitting there to grease?

Edge, IQ's, had a greaseable bearing on the jackshaft, behind the secondary. Eliminated on the pro chassis.

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
Edge, IQ's, had a greaseable bearing on the jackshaft, behind the secondary. Eliminated on the pro chassis.

Very true. But if I remember correctly there is a sticker on the sled that says to grease the jack shaft every 500 miles. I will take a peak at it again this weekend.

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
STICKER there, NO FRIGGIN' ZERK FITTING

Very true. But if I remember correctly there is a sticker on the sled that says to grease the jack shaft every 500 miles. I will take a peak at it again this weekend.

Yeah, the sticker is there, but NO grease fitting.

Other than installing a flange from an older EDGE with a grease fitting along with a bearing with a pin hole in the outer race,(As Mountainhorse mentioned) "ALL BALLS" sells the bearings (1) with the pinholed outer race for both sides for around $25.00

you can try;

Very gently removing the outer seal and push some grease into the bearing and re-installing the out seal.

You may want to try practicing the art old seal removal and replacement with an old bearing on the workbench first.

Why POLARIS decided to eliminate the jack-shaft seal around 2006 +/- baffles me.

Hope this helps

rocket

Premium Member
Jul 20, 2001
Wisconsin
I've been removing the outer seal on the jackshaft bearings and adding grease with a gun and needle attachment. As it isn't exposed to water like the driveshaft bearing, you don't need to add much grease. I have a very small screwdriver I've re-shaped the blade on just for removing bearing seals - makes the process quick and easy. In addition, it doesn't hurt to clean and grease up the splines under the secondary while it's off.

sdmc

Premium Member
Feb 17, 2010
Layton, Utah
Mountainhorse, do you have the instructions on lubing the drive bearings? I hear it requires a needle. Where is the lube hole located? I'm not familiar with using a needle attachment.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
None of the drive-train bearings in the new sleds are greasable... even the PTO side driveshaft is sealed... you can grease them as some have said above... but take care with the seals ... you could make it worse rather than better.

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Great read and post! Any concerns with using AC "all temp" grease? Got at least a gun full of that still.

alt

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2010
Livingston
www.alternativeimpact.com
Just another great FYI from the Horse, and thought it was a good opportunity to mention that on the pro Ti skid we are building, we went to the hard anodized teflon coated shafts, and did use a delrin bushing. Less hassle, less weight, and will last probably the life of the sled. This was suggested by Mountain Horse to me last season, and was not forgotten. Expensive, but as good as it gets. Again, not intended to derail the post. Thanks MH.
Dan

T

theletup

Jan 3, 2011
Coeur d'Alene, ID
hmmm... ****... So what do you do after you just did this all wrong? haha... I used some blue grease (not the thick CV joint stuff) but water resistant. Gotta tear everything apart and clean it all out?

Bigrock33

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
I have been using Valvoline Full Synthetic Grease. It was recommended to me for sleds as it' temp range is -40* to 450*. MH or anyone else have an opinion on this grease?

Premium Features