• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

12 etec xp 154 handling difficulties

S
May 5, 2010
Hi all, just got my new sled etec xp 154 track, looks great been out a couple of time now and just feel like I'm getting kick about.... My previous sled was an 08 xp 147 track and I could throw it around and do what I wanted on the new one I just feel that it's bossing me around. In theory the 154 shouldn't be that much more of a machine to handle should it?

Is there ways of setting it up e.g best suspension set up, sway bar on or off etc to make it handle easier I'm 6"1 and 95kgs so I'm not a small guy but love to boondock and carve.

Any tips and advice greatly received as ive spent alot of money and it's not making me smile as much as my old one.

Cheers
P

cubby

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Well your new sled has the 38" narrow stance various your 08 that had 42" I believe. So that might be what your feeling on the new sled. It should feel more tippy so to speak.

2Thetopp

Lifetime Membership
New sled has a 36" front end should lay over much easier, I just switched mine out handles almost too easy. 154" vs. 146" shouldn't be that much difference, 154" better floatation. First make sure that your handlebars are in line or just slightly ahead of your steering post. You shouldn't need to remove the swaybar from what I've heard, but it will help, I've never had mine hooked up. Start playing with your limiter strap, front shocks, and rear suspension, you'll find what works for you. Also I didn't care for the new DS skis, those may be contributing to the problem depending on snow conditions, I went with SLP SLT's.

A

ayup

Jan 9, 2008
Squamish, BC
Remove foam from panels
Remove that massive windshield
Cut down the snowflap
Swap out the suitcase

.... problem sorted!

Pinky says man up. :canada:

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
I find adding the rear susp. scissor relocating brackets makes them much easier to ride with regards to ski lift and how easy it is to "hold a line".... It makes it much more stable and predictable by firming the rear and keeping the nose down.

A

Alpine_Bound

Apr 22, 2009
Too many to list
I came off an 09 xp to this sled this year and I am pretty sure it is the easiest machine I have ridden to date ( my previous opinion on this was a pro RMK that I rode last year) I am 6'1" and about 210 Lbs with all my gear on. First day out I found the suspension was a little too soft, set the rear torsion springs to 5 and the front shocks around 3, didn't even bother disconnecting the sway bar, haven't touched the center shock or limiter strap. Installed a 7" riser as the stock one is a little short for us tall guys and have it tilted slightly ahead of the steering post. I can throw this thing around all day long with half the effort that it took on my 09, my favorite thing about this sled is I can ride it 4 days straight and don't end up with blisters on my hands like I did with my 09!

D
Apr 28, 2009
Agreed. Never had the older XPs but rode the Rev for a few years before jumping on a 2011 Etec this season. Way easier to throw around compared to my Rev.

S
May 5, 2010
Cheers guys, I'm going to play around with the suspension, there is probably a lot of little tweaks and then it will be sweat.

Any tips on setting up suspension for mountain riding would be great.

What does these scissor kits do brew? Any pics? And have u got them on a 12 ?

Cheers

Premium Features