• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2000 700 RMK no spark.

C
Feb 9, 2011
Alaska
I have been trying to fix my spark problem. I tried a new stator and that wasn't it. I tried new wireharness and that didn't fix it. I tried a CDI from my friend's 700 RMK same year and nothing. I put my CDI on his and runs fine. What could it be? I tested the kill switch / key and put the new throttle on and that still don't work. Now on my RMK I can get spark sometimes then some I won't get any. I put the voltage regulator on and does the same thing as before. Would there be any grounds I could check? I heard about CDI's going bad and when they warm up they will shut down. Mine Don't even spark when its cool sometimes it will sometimes it won't. But when I put mine on his sled it starts right up no problem. If you can think of anything that can help me chase down my problem would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.

C
Feb 9, 2011
Alaska
I don't see how it would be bad. I have his stator on my sled. He has my old one my CDI always worked on his sled but not mine. Even with my old stator he is getting spark. When I pull the lights try to come on but no spark. I unplugged every wire and I still get nothing. I got spark before and had to move it to park the truck then didn't get spark. Then I put it on his and gets spark. Is there some other way the stator grounds other then the wires? I don't see how it can be a short because the stator was on his sled used my CDI and it started up. I also heard that a CDI will open up after it warms up and shutdown but also heard it will work or it will not there is no it will spark and won't spark which is it? I know when I pull it gives power because the lights try to light up. Which makes me think its the CDI so im going to buy one on sunday but if it don't work what could it be?

Nov 27, 2007
something is shorting out. check all wires. some times the wires can wear through where they exit the stator housing. these problems can be very frustrating to figure out. if the cdi works fine on the other sled then thats not it. coils are more likely to have heat issues because of the coil windings.
check plug caps too. they do wear out

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
I know when I pull it gives power because the lights try to light up.

The power for the lights come from a different set of coils in the stator than those coils used for ignition so just because you get lights it doesn't mean a thing. Look at the wiring diagram in the owners manual which you can view at http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-us/OurCompany/Parts-Manuals/PartsManuals/9915380r01.pdf . As you can see the lighting circuit is fed from the set of coils which come out on the yellow wire from the stator and the return side is the brown wire which is grounded. The ignition is controlled by the other sets of coils which come out on the red-blue and the grn-w along with the CDI. Get an ohm meter and check the resistances as well as the grounds. The resistances are given in the wiring diagram. Pull only the single black wire out of the CDI and leave the rest connected. If you get spark then you know the problem is in the kill switch, ignition switch or throttle safety switches or in the wiring to them.
What wiring was included in the new wiring harness you tried?

Last edited:

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
A CDI could be intermittent. What bothers me about this problem is that your original components seem to work okay on your buddies sled but his don't work on yours which makes me think it is a wiring problem rather than a component problem.

C
Feb 9, 2011
Alaska
That is what gets me. I tested all the wires that are ment to kill the power. I bought it and it ran fine rode around at my friend's house. I didn't have my truck with me so I had to ride home then id be going and it would die like it is bogging out which was because of spark. Then worked on it in the shop would start run for about 30 sec or less and do the same. So I bought the wire harness then I bought a new throttle block because it was my first guess. Then I still had no spark so I took my friend's stator seeing that was my next guess. But still no spark. When I got spark the other day it sparked every pull id plug in the black wire and that would kill the spark so I found the wire and fixed that. Then I moved my sled and next day no spark. So I brought my cdi to my friend's put my cdi on his wires and got spark. I think it is the cdi because this stator / wire harness tested good but im getting no spark from the cdi. I tested the red and blue tested good that was one plugin to the cdi. the next plugin has white,green, and black. White and green tested around the right ohms. The black tested open as should be so my last guess would have to be my cdi.

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
Did the white test 0 ohms to ground? I suspect it did as you seem to have checked pretty thoroughly but thought I would ask anyway. Can you borrow his CDI again to check your sled now that you found out what was grounding out your black wire?

Premium Features