• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

99' Stock RMK 136x2" Track question

B

Boondocker82

Sep 10, 2010
Onalaska, WI
Are these tracks any good? I have a 136x1.5" on my sled now and was wondering how much it would help going to a 2". I seem to trench a lot and cannot gain speed above 45 mph or so in the deep. The *** just drops and track spins. I have an oppertunity to buy a 2" and was wondering if anyone has delt with these before.

D

draginrmk

Nov 30, 2007
136X2" OR 136X1.75 was stock on 2000 700 rmk, I had the 1.75 and it out performed the 2" but when i went to 144x2" it was a big improvement, I would go with a longer track even a 151 will float so much better. btw- the stock 1.75" was a stiff paddle compared to the 2"

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
I still have 2 99 RMK's with the 136" track as backup/spare sleds. One with the 2" track and one with the 1.75" track as it was an option that year. Anyway to tell the truth there is really not that much difference between the two of them. They both pretty much go the same place with a very slight advantage to the 2" in looser snow. Either one would give you an improvement over the 1.5". They are 2.52" pitch. I don't know if you would have to change drivers for clearance. What kind of sled are you putting it on?

Hanging in there
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 6, 2009
somewhere in South East Idaho
I put a 156 X 2 on mine and it is unbelievable!!!! kept the old drivers just rail extensions and an extra cross brace at in the middle of the extensions and a boggie at the rear end of the rail to take stress off of the extensions!

B

Boondocker82

Sep 10, 2010
Onalaska, WI
I still have 2 99 RMK's with the 136" track as backup/spare sleds. One with the 2" track and one with the 1.75" track as it was an option that year. Anyway to tell the truth there is really not that much difference between the two of them. They both pretty much go the same place with a very slight advantage to the 2" in looser snow. Either one would give you an improvement over the 1.5". They are 2.52" pitch. I don't know if you would have to change drivers for clearance. What kind of sled are you putting it on?

I have a 99 xc5 and have it geared way down. I extended it to a 136" last year. As far as clearance goes, correct me if I'm wrong, I dont believe your RMK has the tunnel coolers in it. Mine does and the 1.5" i got is notched for them. I did install drop brackets on the back and lowered the front hole for mounting the skid. Not sure if it will give me enough room to miss the tunnel coolers or not. What are the stock drivers on a 99 rmk? Also with the drop brackets installed it seems as if I have a lot of ski pressure. I almost have to take all the preload off of my ski shocks, which makes the front end only sit about 6 inches off the ground. Just looking for some input on this, anything would be helpful. thanks in advance.:face-icon-small-coo

The track I'm looking at has every third window closed, how will this effect it? Is it bad, good, or doesn't it really change much?

Last edited:

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
Stock drivers are 9 tooth.

There is a cooler on the front of the tunnel as well as one within the tunnel. The one in the tunnel is perfectly flush with the rest of the tunnel so it doesn't protrude down into the tunnel. Coolant hoses run under the seat. It is kind of a rectangular cooler that does not run the entire length of the tunnel.

The RMK600 and 700 sleds for 99 came with a bit of a drop and roll built into the chaincase compared to other models to accommodate the 2 inch track option. That is why they have a center distance of 12.5 inches on the clutches. You have a center distance of 12 inches. Unfortunately moving the skid does not increase clearance between the track and front coolers. That is only done with a drop and roll to the chaincase or smaller drivers.

The third window closed was supposed to allow moisture to remain on the track and reduce weight. It doesn't affect anything one way or the other over a fully clipped track in my opinion.

Is your front track shock with spring mounted to the upper position on the cross shaft? If not that may take some weight off the skis. How big were the drop brackets you installed? You may have to move the mounting plates down a bit for the front skid mounting point in order to take more pressure off the skis.

B

Boondocker82

Sep 10, 2010
Onalaska, WI
I have my front track shock mounted in the forward lower hole. I was told this would reduce my attack angle and help it to not trench. is this right? My drop brackets are the slp ones, the slp magazine sayse it drops it 1.75", it puts the bolt right below the running boards. I also dropped the front to the lower hole(about an inch). How much room am I going to gain with the 8 tooth drivers? I measure for the front cooler today and i should have plenty. I have an extra 1.25" from the tip of my 1.5" track. I'm just worried about the tunnel coolers that drop an inch down from the tunnel. As far as the front track shock goes i see that SLP sells a kit to move the mount forward and down for help getting up in the powder. Do you think it would be better if I put it back in the upper mounting hole? Thanks for your help, it is much appreciated.

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
I have my front track shock mounted in the forward lower hole. I was told this would reduce my attack angle and help it to not trench. is this right?
This is true although shortening the limiter strap will give the same effect. Using the forward mounting also allows the front shock to collapse easier so you get a softer ride. The downside is that it also increases ski pressure a little as will shortening the limiter strap.

My drop brackets are the slp ones, the slp magazine sayse it drops it 1.75", it puts the bolt right below the running boards. I also dropped the front to the lower hole(about an inch). How much room am I going to gain with the 8 tooth drivers? I measure for the front cooler today and i should have plenty. I have an extra 1.25" from the tip of my 1.5" track. I'm just worried about the tunnel coolers that drop an inch down from the tunnel.
You will gain 7/16" of clearance with 8 tooth drivers. It may just give you the extra clearance you need for the coolers. You may want to look at tunnel protector strips for the coolers if anyone still makes them.

As far as the front track shock goes i see that SLP sells a kit to move the mount forward and down for help getting up in the powder. Do you think it would be better if I put it back in the upper mounting hole? Thanks for your help, it is much appreciated.
I would just leave as is for now until you see what effect a deeper lug track has in the powder. You could move it back to the upper location if the steering effort is too much.

Did you just add rail extensions when you put the 136" track on or did you move the skid-frame back?

Last edited:
B

Boondocker82

Sep 10, 2010
Onalaska, WI
Did you just add rail extensions when you put the 136" track on or did you move the skid-frame back?

I added rail extensions. Do you think my attack angle is getting too far out of whack with the drop brackets? And adding the 8 tooth drivers is only going to make it worse.

Last edited:

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
Do you think my attack angle is getting too far out of whack with the drop brackets? And adding the 8 tooth drivers is only going to make it worse.
No, I think you should be okay. The 8 tooth drivers shouldn't make much difference to the angle of approach.

xrated

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2004
Plainview, MN
8s will clear the front. The questionable clearance will be near the tunnel coolers and your front mounts.

I am dealing with the same thing on a 99 XC. I have a 2" and it will clear the front cooler even just sitting with the track not wrapped on the drivers due to anti-drivers and not every window being clipped. It looks like I may sneak by with the tunnel coolers being cleared, I also have rear drops. Won't know till you try, but I say try the 2 and if you have to notch, well you have to notch.

B

Boondocker82

Sep 10, 2010
Onalaska, WI
Well I got the track last night and will put it in, or attempt to, sometime this weekend. I took a pretty good digger yesterday and am pretty sore. I'll let you know what I come up with. By the way I am still looking for 8 tooth drivers if anyone has some

B
Dec 1, 2007
Saskatoon, SK
I have the stock 2 inch on my 99 still. It just fits, I flipped the track around a couple years ago as the lugs all folded over. Now it just hooks up and goes. I find sometimes I could use a longer track, but for the prairies its long enough for me.

B

Boondocker82

Sep 10, 2010
Onalaska, WI
I have the stock 2 inch on my 99 still. It just fits, I flipped the track around a couple years ago as the lugs all folded over. Now it just hooks up and goes. I find sometimes I could use a longer track, but for the prairies its long enough for me.

Did you have to use 8 tooth drivers?

B

Boondocker82

Sep 10, 2010
Onalaska, WI
I ended up trying to put it on with the stock drivers and notched the track for the coolers, unfortunatly it still hits the very front of the coolers. If i put an 8 tooth driver on, I know it will make it. thanks for everyones help

B

Boondocker82

Sep 10, 2010
Onalaska, WI
Ok, so I trimmed my rails, took 1.5 inches off each one, and hopefully thats enough. The problem I ran into is that I ended up cutting off the portion of the rail where the hyfax mounts to it. As far as I can see there is no place to drill another hole except for in the back on the rail extension. Where do you guys put the new hole?

Premium Features