• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Assault / RMK camber adjustment what does what

T
Nov 27, 2007
Canada
I was going over my assault and noticed that the camber on each ski is differnt one is almost verticle in adjustment the other is negative camber, which is it supposed to be and what effect does camber have on handling?

A

ak49er

Dec 10, 2008
Big Lake, AK
Is it leaning at all? Are the shocks at the same height (pressure) are you carbides of equal wear? Is anything under the track, answer no to any of these and the machine will appear lopsided, showing of cousre also at the skis.

I have aligned skis many times and adjusted camber on my REV once. I think the recommendation was to allow both skiis to be tipped in to the centerline (?pos or neg?) to keep from cathcing an edge under hard cornering. Anyone have the specs?

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
It's about -3.8 deg with sled hanging in the air, no load. ie, outside edges tipped up, if i remember correctly

T
Nov 27, 2007
Canada
Im more curious what positive/negative and neutral camber acutally do to effect handling. Do the RMK's use more positive camber then a switch back or trail dragon etc...

I think that less camber closer to zero would make high speed handling more sensetive if it works like a car does.

A
Aug 3, 2008
North Idaho
Negative camber is when top of spindle is closer to the sled. Positive is further away. What does this affect? Everything. Think of the geometry of the ski traveling in an arc upwards (like going around a corner). A sled can have slight negative going into a corner on one side, and positive on the other. Shocks and springs can change the "appearance" of this. You should always check with the sled in the air, suspension unloaded. I have seen a frozen shock cause that wierd look. Your question, what does it do to the handling characteristics? Negative will make it grabby, wanting to bite in the corners. Positive will cause it to slide....or push....not want to steer as well and/or roll in the corners. Once again, alot of this has to do with how much the shock/spring can be compressed, thus eliminating roll. That is my opinion. Might ask Ron on here, he is knowledgable too.

T
Nov 27, 2007
Canada
Adrelaine thanks for the explaination I guess my next question would be can there be too much negative camber? I am messing with my assault to try and crispen the handling up a bit on hard pack it seems compared to my XP you have to turn the bars alot more to get any turning to happen, I was wondering on the camber if that changes how quickly it responds to input. That and ofcourse it came with 2 different settings.

A
Aug 3, 2008
North Idaho
Adrelaine thanks for the explaination I guess my next question would be can there be too much negative camber? I am messing with my assault to try and crispen the handling up a bit on hard pack it seems compared to my XP you have to turn the bars alot more to get any turning to happen, I was wondering on the camber if that changes how quickly it responds to input. That and ofcourse it came with 2 different settings.

There could be too much camber, but you can only run the upper ball joint in and our so far. Are you sure you didn't tweak a lower arm? I have seen other posts where this happened on the 09 Assaults. The camber won't really change the "crispness" or turning, I believe it to be more of an overall set up between caster/camber, toe in and shocks that can cause most people to dislike what their sled handles like, get it right and you will love it. Look at how your XP is set up, in my opinion I like the off trail steering of the XP better than an RMK but my RMK is better on the trail and in the bumps. The XP simply turns sharper and easier but I believe that to be mostly the skis.

T
Nov 27, 2007
Canada
There could be too much camber, but you can only run the upper ball joint in and our so far. Are you sure you didn't tweak a lower arm? I have seen other posts where this happened on the 09 Assaults. The camber won't really change the "crispness" or turning, I believe it to be more of an overall set up between caster/camber, toe in and shocks that can cause most people to dislike what their sled handles like, get it right and you will love it. Look at how your XP is set up, in my opinion I like the off trail steering of the XP better than an RMK but my RMK is better on the trail and in the bumps. The XP simply turns sharper and easier but I believe that to be mostly the skis.

Thank you very much for the awesome info, I wish I could increase the steering ratio on the RMK myself haha, after coming off a doo they take alot less bar movement to get the sled to move or so I have found. 1/2" of bar movement is going around a corner on the doo, 1 1/2 is going around the corner on the assault, although it could be the pro taper bars as well that make it feel weird.

Premium Features