• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Shorty brake lever - Anyone use it?

T

Thielio20

Oct 6, 2018
Interior, AK
I've been browsing short brake levers and am curious if anyone has experience using shorter levers for one finger manipulation on their summits? Fly, Boondockers and Skinz have are some of the ones I found.

Just updated to the munster finger throttle(love it) and I feel like overall grip would be much better if both throttle and brake can be pulled with one finger.

Thanks in advance!

skank

Lifetime Membership
Feb 25, 2008
Mountain View, Wyoming 82939
I have used the straightline perf. and skinz levers. I love them! None of
My summits will ever go without one now. Used them 3 seasons so far. Skinz is adjustable and kinda nice to fine tune the position but it was twice as much money as the straightline that accomplished the same thing.

Last edited:
T

Thielio20

Oct 6, 2018
Interior, AK
I have used the fly and skinz levers. I love them! None of
My summits will ever go without one now. Used them 3 seasons so far. One of them is adjustable and kinda nice to fine tune the position but it was twice as much money as the other.

Did you use the heated model? Looking at the Skinz gen4, but for heated they're asking $210 :face-icon-small-sho .

Seems like a lot of people prefert the TKI! Coming in at $50 vs $125 for the SKINZ I think we have winner. Plus Dave Narona endorses TKI:eyebrows:

Thanks for the input peeps.

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
TKI all the way, never will ride the stock again! If anyone needs tki in canada, i have them in stock ready to ship. Brake Lever, Reservoir protector, kill switch protector and cleats for the stamped boards on the g4 up front where they are slippery. just hit me up here in a PM

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
Tki works great but would like to try the skinz adjustable one to fine tune. Heated would be nice also.

Jblaze74

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2011
Reno/North Tahoe
Any recommendations for people with larger hands? TKI mentions average to smaller hands... Backwoods looks nice, will it be aluminum or plastic?

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
The skinz lever adjusted all the way in is a 1/2 closer to the bars than the tki lever. If you have the smallest of hands I would recommend it. And it gets nice and toasty warm.

Adam12

Lifetime Membership
Apr 16, 2014
Sisters, OR
Any recommendations for people with larger hands? TKI mentions average to smaller hands... Backwoods looks nice, will it be aluminum or plastic?

I've been wondering the same thing and might try the Tricked Toys one. Adjustable sounds like the ticket for me.

Dynamo^Joe

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thunder Bay, ont
www.iBackshift.com
After riding a summit with a SkinZ lever, I bought one and did the heated lever.
Found sometimes with leather gloves, being wet, that heated lever, the glove never stuck to it.

I was able to adjust it to the perfect distance for my KliM glove thickness. Nuther thing I notice is how much I use it now; just like Rasmussen says "now you have 2 throttles" - I used the brake lots while I was on the throttle to keep the skis down while approaching a bench on climbs in Griffin. I would plan ahead to concentrate [ok Tubby, lets try to use the brake going up this climb] on getting used to using the brake, practicing instead of letting off throttle, grab brake to put skis down and works like a shot.

With the BRP lever you can put one finger on it but your grip strength on handlebar is low because all your other fingers are kind of stretched out so your fingers dont wrap so much around the bar.

Now with the adjustment of the SkinZ lever, one finger on, and my fingers wrap right around the bar 90% as-if I dont have my finger on the brake. Damn near hang the sled with your left hand, holding one finger on the brake.

I loooooove SkinZ products. :becky:

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I have the heated skinz lever. It got so hot that I couldn’t keep my finger on the brake. I do use the Klim gloves with no insulation most of the time tho. I’ve had it unplugged for two seasons now. Would love to have it plugged in but adjustable or maybe half as hot.

Premium Features