• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2019 AXYS-MTN REACT™ 37" WIDE SUSPENSION, IFS SHOCK LENGTHS

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Fun one for me... :)

First things first. "What do I do with respect to my new snowchecked 850?"

As I stated above, anyone snowchecking (which is everyone) would be silly to *not* to go with the clickers. They are an entirely different shock than the monotubes and Axys RMK (non Assualt) clickers of the past.

Out of the crate they'll be awesome and if you are looking for something specific, a good tuner will get you dialed. Custom valved Walker Evans needles will absolutely go toe-to-toe with anything the aftermarket guys are cranking out. These are not the normal OEM junkers most discerning riders immediately sell but a really nice shock.

My point here is this entire conversation is more academic than it is realistic. Anyone snowchecking probably has an extra $500. Anyone with good aftermarket suspension on their current Axys is better off selling it and putting the extra in their pocket (as it'll sell for more than the WEs), leaving it on the sled or leaving it on the sled and selling it. All three options are going to yield the best results for the least amount of money and least amount of monkeying around. Plus, one ought to get a feel for what Polaris is doing out of the crate before they throw something aftermarket on anyway. There are times the aftermarket guys actually take a step backwards (I will abstain from this story for now ;) )

As far as the rebound adjust comments, MH is right in that a rebound adjust will effect the compression side, but its very marginal (emphasis on VERY). There are some graphs showing this via Fox. I'll look around in a minute to show you.

I can find some videos showing how the rebound adjust works (via animated fluid flow) and why it doesn't effect the compression side to the extent you are suggesting.

The reason it can often feel as though you are firming up the compression side of the stroke as you add rebound damping is you are "packing down" the suspension (EG, the shock can't recover to a neutral position before the next hit).

Put another way, what you are doing is lowering the ride of your sled in successive bump environments by going to a slow setup. Lower in the stroke = higher point on the spring rate = firmer feeling setup. To add, it takes all liveliness out of the ride (spring resists for a longer period of time). Some like this. It absolutely feels more muted, the same way heavy low speed compression damping feels more muted.

Second, back to the topic at hand, as far as ways to compensate for a higher ride height MH is correct (as he usually is),if leaving sag the same (as in percentage of sag) opening up the FTS would be key to taking the weight off the skis. The degree one would need to do this would be best determined on scales. I'd wager it isn't very much. A new hole in your limiter a hair behind the OEM hole would probably do it with minimal change to the sled's trenching/get on snow characteristics. You could compliment this by running less preload on the FTS allowing the front arm to collapse easier (lowering your attack angle) and getting it to "pop" on the snow. There would be an upside to this setup too in that the sled would likely sidehill "flatter".

RTS too might need a mild change, but I'd wager this would require the least amount of change (if any).

Again, overall we are talking about relatively small changes to get the sled to do what it was intended from the factory with a slightly longer eye-to-eye shock.

For reference, I've gone *far* crazier to get my G4 to do what I wanted (eg, become more like an Axys). Opening limiter completely, totally different FTS spring rate, completely different RTS spring/damping curve bla bla bla

G
Jan 21, 2008
Wabush NL, Canada
Are the new upgraded remote reservoir shocks actually needle shocks or just clickers? In the description it mentions a choice between either monotube or clickers but in the snowcheck options it lists it as a needle. Also, from all from all of the pics and videos Ive seen they all look like the normal clickers to me with the 1/2" shafts.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I’m planning to save that $500 and spend it on a Carls revalve on the monotubes. I spent alot of money on my 2017 and that was for sure the best “mod” on that sled. I don’t really have the knowledge or desire to mess with clickers, and I’m guessing most guys who order them won’t either.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
2019 AXYS 840 with WE Needle 'Clickers'

picture.php
picture.php

Last edited:

Killer Time Racing

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2008
Lower Michigan
I'm told by my factory contacts that they are the full-on Walker Evans clicker NEEDLE shocks with the 5/8" shafts.

IMO... a nice shock package.

I've had them on all my SC AssRmks and they are the real deal ! I bought a set of Fox 1.5s from Keith and honestly I can't tell much difference.

The rebound clicker did seem to affect the Compression as stated above but I didn't dig into it that much.

W/E should change the color of the body so every set doesn't look the same . The Shaft is definitely bigger just by sight .
I've had so many people try and tell me they have the same ones in their Rush . I gave up on trying to explain ! And just answer " Ya same as a Switchback"

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
I’m planning to save that $500 and spend it on a Carls revalve on the monotubes. I spent alot of money on my 2017 and that was for sure the best “mod” on that sled. I don’t really have the knowledge or desire to mess with clickers, and I’m guessing most guys who order them won’t either.

Custom valving does help a lot, however, I'd still really encourage you to go needles even if you never ever touch the clickers. They are a far nicer shock, you will absolutely feel the difference.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
I've had them on all my SC AssRmks and they are the real deal ! I bought a set of Fox 1.5s from Keith and honestly I can't tell much difference.

I have done this too. 100% agree. Which would make sense btw, they are functionally very similar, so why would we feel a difference? Potato Potato.

What I want to see is some manufacturer come out with a twin tube damper akin to Fox's high end mountain bike shock. Surprised nobody has done this yet...

b-litt

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
McCall, ID
m.youtube.com
I just talked to the Polaris rep and rode the 850 in a slushy, wet, slippery field. Not a good place to get a feel for the sled, but I did talk to the rep for a bit. The shocks on the two demos we had were the same as what's on the current Axys with exception to the springs. They were 1/2" shafts, and not the 5/8". Our rep said if you want the larger shaft and needles you have to get the Assault. The Pro has the same old WE's. Regardless I am excited about the springs, and will get the clickers re-valved. I'm tired of spending money on high end shocks. We'll see how that works...
When you build a RMK PRO it does call them piggyback needle shocks. I didn't see that until after talking with the rep. WTF?

dktraw

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2009
Halfway OR
Can we get verified whether or not the clickers this year are needles? Some say yes, some say no. snowcheck build sheet says WE clicker needle shocks. Dont really care if there 1/2" or 5/8" shafts....just not gonna spend the extra 500 bucks if there just the standard clicker and not the needle shocks

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
i'm working on verifying it 100% .

Maybe someone else as well.

I agree though .... the two photos above.... both look like the same shaft.... and I doubt the mono is a 5/8" shaft.

Agreed. This is a big deal! Polaris has explicitly written "needle valve" in the info on the snowcheck screen!

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
Copied from the 850 Pro-RMK page.

Walker Evans<sup>®</sup> Shocks

PRO-RMKs come with premium Walker Evans<sup>®</sup> Piggyback Clicker Shocks or the Walker Evans<sup>®</sup> Monotube Shocks. The Walker Evans<sup>®</sup> Piggyback Clicker Shocks with compression adjusters and remote reservoirs offers the best performance across the broadest range of conditions. The Walker Evans<sup>®</sup> Monotube Impact-Extruded Shocks are the lightest weight shock option from Polaris for those riders counting ounces. The one-piece, simple design is lightweight yet durable.

From the Assault 800 Page (funny, no 850 for the Assault RMK)

Walker Evans<sup>®</sup> Needle Shocks

Walker Evans<sup>®</sup> Needle Shocks with compression adjusters and remote reservoirs offer the best in tunability and fade-proof performance. Unique needle design uses hydraulic force at the end of the stroke to eliminate harsh bottoming.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Needle me this !

Copied from the 850 Pro-RMK page.

Walker Evans<sup>®</sup> Shocks

PRO-RMKs come with premium Walker Evans<sup>®</sup> Piggyback Clicker Shocks or the Walker Evans<sup>®</sup> Monotube Shocks. The Walker Evans<sup>®</sup> Piggyback Clicker Shocks with compression adjusters and remote reservoirs offers the best performance across the broadest range of conditions. The Walker Evans<sup>®</sup> Monotube Impact-Extruded Shocks are the lightest weight shock option from Polaris for those riders counting ounces. The one-piece, simple design is lightweight yet durable.

From the Assault 800 Page (funny, no 850 for the Assault RMK)

Walker Evans<sup>®</sup> Needle Shocks

Walker Evans<sup>®</sup> Needle Shocks with compression adjusters and remote reservoirs offer the best in tunability and fade-proof performance. Unique needle design uses hydraulic force at the end of the stroke to eliminate harsh bottoming.

I saw that ... which is what the confusion is... here is the screenshot from a session while snowchecking online....

You can see that they specify "Comp. Adj. Piggyback Needle"

So, ... I'm confused. :face-icon-small-con

picture.php

picture.php

maurfello

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2009
Washington
One could assume that the brochure is for the in season sleds and you have the option of mono or piggyback clickers?

And for snow check you have the option of mono or piggyback needle clickers?

Dunno

maurfello

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2009
Washington
One could assume that the brochure is for the in season sleds and you have the option of mono or piggyback clickers?

And for snow check you have the option of mono or piggyback needle clickers?

Dunno
But I guess that still wouldn't make sense because the 850 is snow check only.

Premium Features