• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Maybe I'm overthinking this

omernikski

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2003
Minocqua, WI/ Foxboro, WI
I have a 03 classic 600 I'm working on for the neighbor. She said it ran like crap and wouldn't go over 40. Took it for a ride and it acted like it was running on half choke. Started digging into it and found the vent line from the mag side carb was off. Put the line back on and it will run like a raped ape now on top end but bottom through midrange it's over fueling. Changed the plugs and tried a different coil and completely cleaned the carbs. Both cylinders are at 115 but the mag side piston is soaked. Reeds are good and valves are clean. I'm at a loss here

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
Compression for an 800 with new pistons and new rings is about 148 psi. When it gets down to 130 psi, it feels like a 700. 115 seems well into the "need new top end" range.

Snip about 3/8" off of the plug end of the plug wires, and screw the plug back on, to give some improved performance.

X
Jan 1, 2011
ND
Try o rings on the floats. Very common problem especially with ethanol in gas. Also try another compression tester and make sure its really 115.

Edit - Also a o rings set is a fraction of the cost of a new needle and seat combo.

Last edited:

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
My chum had issues with that tube when it was new.
He installed an SLP loud box and did not know that the tubes from the carbs needed to go into the airbox.

First ride for that was in the Bighorns and we thought that we were fighting a jetting issue. (which I guess we were, but...)

So - I guess I would dbl check both ends of that (those?) hoses.

edit - I s'pose he's got it fixed by now eh?

Premium Features