• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2018 Wet weight

D

Dabull

Nov 26, 2007
utah
my dealer says production models will be 15 lbs lighter

Hard to believe they would send out an early release and have it weigh more than the production sled doesn't seem like a very good sales marketing job. Guess will wait and see.

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
Hard to believe they would send out an early release and have it weigh more than the production sled doesn't seem like a very good sales marketing job. Guess will wait and see.

I think the pre-releases where all about the getting the motors on the snow and people talking early. They have to be saving some additional stuff for the full release. Watched both country cats videos. The new plastic looks awesome!!!

Last edited:

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
wonder if the mountain cat or production units will get the full stainless exhaust or if that was just a misprint from am-snow or whoever said it.
i like that the big air scoops have holes to let snow drop. still shows you how much smaller they could make the nose if they really re-worked the body like skinz. my hang up with skinz kit is the dryer vent intake and lack of over the hood powder reviews so far. Cat does a nice job of making sure they only suck in air on their factory hoods in my experience so far.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Lets not forget to add 12.2 pounds to the weight of the G4 to make up for the 2 gallons of gas they don't hold that the Cat does, that makes it 548.6. Then how much oil does the res in the doo hold, is it as much as the cat? So there is probably another 3-4 pounds difference there. This is why sleds should be weighed dry, smaller gas tanks and oil res. don't help anyone but manufacturers trying to make their sleds look lighter than they are. So looks like Cat isn't the fat lady at the dance anymore:)

I think the doo seat has less foam in it so better add for that also. Cat also has air shocks so you should subtract the shock oil from the doo:face-icon-small-win.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
I think the doo seat has less foam in it so better add for that also. Cat also has air shocks so you should subtract the shock oil from the doo:face-icon-small-win.

Exactly why all sleds should be weighed "dry" this Rtr crap is a joke. By the way air shocks still have oil in them:face-icon-small-sho

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Just making a joke about this weight thing
Everyone gets to carried away about it. Weigh them dry and it is what it is. Wet is how you ride them. The only reason anyone cares is Polaris has killed everyone on marketing and they are lighter. No different than the left vs right argument. People have to trash on the other to find an angle to get in the door and make up for their short comings. So then it is the glue is garbage or they fall apart. Well they don't and their a arms are also fine. Then you have the only 9.5 gallon tank on the 850. Well, if you know anything about skidoo there gas tanks or pickups have sucked for 13-14 years. If you can burn all 9.5 gallons you are burning 1-1.5 more gallons than they burned in previous models. Next everyone goes to the broken bulkhead to justify that they are heavier. Well, they are snowmobiles. What do you expect when you slam into boulders.
The fact is that all this weight thing, between cat, doo and poo, doesn't really mean sh!t. It is not the difference it used to be years ago. It's mainly marketing. You could take 20 pounds off the 850 and I will bet my last dollar that you can't tell the difference. I guess I buy stuff because it works better or a lightweight can so I can get a muff pot on.
People buy emotionally and then try to justify logically. For some that means putting the other side down to achieve that. My bet is the 18 cat will be awesome. I would buy it because of that. The weight thing isn't much more than a conversation piece. Spend your money on clutching or suspension.

S

SnoPro1000

Feb 24, 2008
I agree 100%, BUT in that being said marketing sells and Polaris markets the h*ll out of it. Polaris could sell cancer Cat would have a hard time marketing and selling the cure. You know why I buy cat? I buy it because the proclimb doesn't need a "fix kit" for the engine or chassis stiffners yes in 12-15 the rest fell apart but I think and hope all that is fixed now. Some are angry that they haven't changed the chassis. Look when bomb went from xp to xm the xm ended up being a great sled the proclimb is a great sled 18 just farther improves it
Cheers!!

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Just making a joke about this weight thing
Everyone gets to carried away about it. Weigh them dry and it is what it is. Wet is how you ride them. The only reason anyone cares is Polaris has killed everyone on marketing and they are lighter. No different than the left vs right argument. People have to trash on the other to find an angle to get in the door and make up for their short comings. So then it is the glue is garbage or they fall apart. Well they don't and their a arms are also fine. Then you have the only 9.5 gallon tank on the 850. Well, if you know anything about skidoo there gas tanks or pickups have sucked for 13-14 years. If you can burn all 9.5 gallons you are burning 1-1.5 more gallons than they burned in previous models. Next everyone goes to the broken bulkhead to justify that they are heavier. Well, they are snowmobiles. What do you expect when you slam into boulders.
The fact is that all this weight thing, between cat, doo and poo, doesn't really mean sh!t. It is not the difference it used to be years ago. It's mainly marketing. You could take 20 pounds off the 850 and I will bet my last dollar that you can't tell the difference. I guess I buy stuff because it works better or a lightweight can so I can get a muff pot on.
People buy emotionally and then try to justify logically. For some that means putting the other side down to achieve that. My bet is the 18 cat will be awesome. I would buy it because of that. The weight thing isn't much more than a conversation piece. Spend your money on clutching or suspension.

Mine's still better.

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Weight

I totally agree!! Big frikn deal..
Clutch it or pipe it or leave it alone and drive it.
Its going to be am awesome sled...
Bla, bla, bla.

I totally agree.
I always add more power.
Always change clutching.
And always remove weight.

I prefer a dry weight but to each there own.
I'll always take a heavier sled that is more durable than the extra light weight ones that break/crack and bend.
Cats have the most fuel capacity and pay a wet weight penalty for it.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
weigh them with the coolant and chaincase oil, no gas or oil.
then its RTR minus whatever fuel the operator wants to put in. but its still RTR.
filling up the gas and oil and leaving tunnel bag, ect. on is retarded:face-icon-small-sho

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
people buy emotionally and then try to justify logically, quote from above, or maybe the other way around.....so a guy has three girl friends, can't decide which one to marry....so he gives them each $5 k (rich guy); the first girl spends it all on herself, the second girl spends it all on him, the third girl spends half on herself and half on him....so which one does he marry ? ....easy, the one with the big hooters....:face-icon-small-ton...never confuse want with need...

Premium Features