• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2017 Ski-Doo Summit Rev 850 Rider Impressions from Mount Baker

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
thanks for the video posts

BUT! i want to see those folks actually riding the sled !
as in video of the 850 in action ! without a editor and screen writer ha ha some raw video please :face-icon-small-hap
thanks

no demos in my area :face-icon-small-sad
(unfortunately that may be the deciding factor for me)

stonehands1

Lifetime Membership
Jul 26, 2010
Mt. Baker
Yeah, it goes both ways. Look folks, these sleds are making 200 horsepower per liter and are run at WOT in tough conditions. They all break occasionally. A guy once described a snowmobile as a chain saw motor with a big rubber band on it.

I sure hope stihl starts making sleds soon. My 1995 066 chainsaw has been nothing but a badass for 21 years now!

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Butt-hurt Poo riders.... And 850 Doo almost kept up with a turbo Axys... Sure, lets say that. :face-icon-small-win

I'll go back to riding my 138Hp pro from 2011 now. Not as fun as this new rocket from Doo of course, but does pretty dang good for a blown up POS with a bent'n broken tunnel (like they all have).
Especially considering how flimsy the front bumper is when you need to put a towrope on it!! (you know, to get back to the parking lot).

J/K

Be safe boys and girls.

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
Butt-hurt Poo riders.... And 850 Doo almost kept up with a turbo Axys... Sure, lets say that. :face-icon-small-win

I'll go back to riding my 138Hp pro from 2011 now. Not as fun as this new rocket from Doo of course, but does pretty dang good for a blown up POS with a bent'n broken tunnel (like they all have).
Especially considering how flimsy the front bumper is when you need to put a towrope on it!! (you know, to get back to the parking lot).

J/K

Be safe boys and girls.

Not hurt, just pointing out the inconsistencies in some of the posts. Congratulations on Dynotech getting a 170 horsepower pull out of an Etec 850. That is impressive power. It was a preproduction unit so it may have had a non EPA compliant map in it but it is still damn good. I want to ride one to compare. No opportunity so far. I could ride either an Axys or an Etec 850 and be happy. I just can't have both. My riding days are limited so I may finish off my career on my 16 Axys before I start spending winters on a beach somewhere reading about snowmbiling on my smart phone. You guys are over sensitive too so quit whining about us.

psychosledder73

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2007
Fernie BC
The skidoo Strikes again haha.. Had to pull a 16 axys home this weekend and that was all I saw on the side of the road broke down up baker was Polaris. Got to ride the new 850 skidoo and it will eat the axys alive other then in a step side hill it still tends to washout a little but they r way more predictable then the 15 and 16 xms and t3!!!! The power that the new 850 puts out feels like a turbo but its stock with a warranty!!! We had a 16 axys turboed with us and the stock 850 runs side by side with that turbo until the turbo gets all the way up on boost then the axys pulls the 850 a little but not by much think with good shocks on the 850 the axys won't be able to touch the new skidoo on anything (sidehilling,climbing,tree riding ect ) I'm not brand loyal I ride what will do what I want it to be Polaris, skidoo,or cat not a yammy tho was going to switch to Polaris before riding the new skidoo and now there's no way skidoo it is for next couple years!! what an amazing sled the new skidoos r!!!!
Obviously never rode a turbo

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
It goes both ways. You come to a Doo thread and talk crap. What do you expect? Everyone to agree with you? Lol

We call them fat, you say ours are broken down all of the time. It is sort of funny. I had an extra sled years ago when my friends were riding Doos. It was a sweet little 600 Polaris. It lierally was out every weekend because my various friends Doo's were broken and in the shop. The 600 never broke nor did my 800. The XPS and the RT 1000 spent more time at the dealer than they did on the snow. Everybody has their broken down sled stories. However, the evidence just doesn't support that the Polaris sleds are more prone to breaking down the Ski Doos.

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
vodka and poolaid.LOL

Jack Daniels preferred. I am only relating personal experience. It could be radically different where you are and with the experiences that you have had. However, the worst nightmare breakdowns that I have experienced were more often Ski Doo sleds. The worst of all was when an XP sheared a driveshaft at the primary. This is the one that broke catastrophically 5 times in one season. We had to spend a night in Stanley and pull it out of the very deep bowl where it self destructed. It turned the one day outing into a whole weekend. By the way, the RT 1000 also took a dive during the same trip. It goes both ways as I have been trying to patiently explain.

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
Jack Daniels preferred. I am only relating personal experience. It could be radically different where you are and with the experiences that you have had. However, the worst nightmare breakdowns that I have experienced were more often Ski Doo sleds. The worst of all was when an XP sheared a driveshaft at the primary. This is the one that broke catastrophically 5 times in one season. We had to spend a night in Stanley and pull it out of the very deep bowl where it self destructed. It turned the one day outing into a whole weekend. By the way, the RT 1000 also took a dive during the same trip. It goes both ways as I have been trying to patiently explain.

if you want to bring up the past, please tell us about the polaris 800cc engine of the past 1.5 decades, as well as the polaris 900

but seriously, im not worried about what broke down 5, 10, 20 years ago. i want to know about now.....and its nice to see polaris FINALLY putting an engine in a sled that wont need a "fix it kit" right out of the box. now if they can get their electrical systems made by someone that does a little R&D, they would be moving forward too.

when you look at the big scheme of things, 2016 was a pretty successful year for the big 3 companies. i would feel pretty comfortable saying i could go out on any of the 3 sleds, have a good time, beat the hell out of it, and still ride back to the trailer. cat fixed their clutching and front end, polaris improved their chassis and have (what seems to be) a good motor, and doo just kept doing what they've been doing. 2017 is doo's year for the refinements. lets hope they did their homework and dont end up with a steaming pile of $14,000 chit.

Last edited:

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
if you want to bring up the past, please tell us about the polaris 800cc engine of the past 1.5 decades, as well as the polaris 900

but seriously, im not worried about what broke down 5, 10, 20 years ago. i want to know about now.....and its nice to see polaris FINALLY putting an engine in a sled that wont need a "fix it kit" right out of the box. now if they can get their electrical systems made by someone that does a little R&D, they would be moving forward too.

when you look at the big scheme of things, 2016 was a pretty successful year for the big 3 companies. i would feel pretty comfortable saying i could go out on any of the 3 sleds, have a good time, beat the hell out of it, and still ride back to the trailer. cat fixed their clutching and front end, polaris improved their chassis and have (what seems to be) a good motor, and doo just kept doing what they've been doing. 2017 is doo's year for the refinements. lets hope they did their homework and dont end up with a steaming pile of $14,000 chit.

Amen to that. I almost bought a T3 for this year. I had one Cat in my career and I will not go there again. It was a POS. Sorry Cat guys but it really sucked.

Premium Features