• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 E_TEC

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
Some people just hate to see others succeed and do good, wether it be a business or a person. This engine looks like it will be the engine to beat from here on out in the 2 stroke world.

With that being said I've got 2750 miles on my aerocharged Xm and the motor has never had an issue yet. I really doubt crank issues are all that common on the etec.

Your pipe dreaming if you think the 850's 10 extra horsepower will be the motor to beat in the 2 stroke world ..... At 8000 to 10000 feet the extra 10 ponies gets reduced to squat ... Do the math.

DPG

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
Highly unlikely the 850 motor will be smooth BB 2 stroke grunt torque motors just are not smooth. Everything resonates to handlebars in the world of 2 strokes. I suspect the vibration will be no different than the vibration in previous years.... If you want smooth try a 4 stroke.

DPG

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
Your pipe dreaming if you think the 850's 10 extra horsepower will be the motor to beat in the 2 stroke world ..... At 8000 to 10000 feet the extra 10 ponies gets reduced to squat ... Do the math.

DPG

I'm not talking about horsepower. I'm talking about longevity. Isn't that what your comment was about? How the 800 etec sucked so bad because it was so far out of balance?

Highly unlikely the 850 motor will be smooth BB 2 stroke grunt torque motors just are not smooth. Everything resonates to handlebars in the world of 2 strokes. I suspect the vibration will be no different than the vibration in previous years.... If you want smooth try a 4 stroke.

DPG

You're right. The worst vibration I've ever seen on a snowmobile was a 2014 m800 that had been bb to a 900. On the other hand the smoothest of the three 800's is the etec so maybe they passed it on to the 850

Last edited:

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
I for one would not worry about vibration, gyroscopic effect etc...... I am sure they did there homework on this half/half 2 stroke/4stroke combo due to the forged with cast iron ring lands. I bet this helps balance out the bottom end reciprocating mass? But if you want to spin it higher than the 7900rpm., you may be in trouble? What are these rods good for with cap screw bolts? 8300 on up to what? I am sure all the aftermarket GURU's will find out what this engine can really do when modded! I would bet 185bhp. would be the norm for the better part of a grand with replacement lightweight rods if you have to spool it up to the mid 8's
Mike

R
Feb 2, 2016
Guages

Can't find any info on the new Guages set up. Does anybody know what it will read and how visible the screen actually is? Seems like everybody else has a fairly nice set up! Hopin ski do set up is not a cheapie!

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
I'm not talking about horsepower. I'm talking about longevity. Isn't that what your comment was about? How the 800 etec sucked so bad because it was so far out of balance?

You're right. The worst vibration I've ever seen on a snowmobile was a 2014 m800 that had been bb to a 900. On the other hand the smoothest of the three 800's is the etec so maybe they passed it on to the 850

If your sled is not vibrating it not making enough Power LOL, I guess you haven't ridden a 174 summit through any rough hard pack terrain ?? HANG ON SMOOTH !!!!

Honestly, I don't know anyone complaining about vibration from any of the 2stroke brands. If vibration is a big deal for you I suggest a 2up and a chauffeur :face-icon-small-ton

FYI the crank and primary clutch on every mass produced sled including Skidoo is out if ballance.
DPG

Premium Features