• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Fake app attack

wrtmani

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kalispell, Mt
Had this happen a few times in the last few days, once on my computer at work but mostly here on my laptop. I get a message my Norton AV has blocked a "Fake App Attack" and my browser gives me a notification that it could not connect to a website away from forum. Seems to only happen when I'm navigating around the swapmeet section, but will pay more attention. Anyone else having this same problem? Im just glad my Norton is catching it!!

zalez

Lifetime Membership
Jan 5, 2012
Several others have said the same thing was happening to them so you're not the only one.

I haven't had it happen but I took care of the issue that is causing it :face-icon-small-hap

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Had this happen a few times in the last few days, once on my computer at work but mostly here on my laptop. I get a message my Norton AV has blocked a "Fake App Attack" and my browser gives me a notification that it could not connect to a website away from forum. Seems to only happen when I'm navigating around the swapmeet section, but will pay more attention. Anyone else having this same problem? Im just glad my Norton is catching it!!

I need a bit more information.
What does it list AFTER "Fake App Attack"??

Example
Fake App Attack: Fake Scan Webpage 2
http://www.symantec.com/security_response/attacksignatures/detail.jsp?asid=25524

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
REQUEST.

If you see this Virus Alert pop up on your system, would you PLEASE take a SCREEN SHOT and post it here.

We would like to see what ads are running that might be the source of the alert.

wrtmani

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kalispell, Mt
Just did it again tonight, tried to click into "Browse Swapmeet" from forum mainpaige. Didn't know how to take "screenshot" had to use back button to get back to mainpage after IE10 "could not connect to webpage" with url for fake webpage. Ads that were displayed after using back button were the Tracks Usa ad on top, Blown Motor / Polaris banner above top of forum header, Polaris ad and Outdoorhub.com ads on RH side of screen. Hope this helps!

Premium Features