• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Letter to Governor Schweitzer, Senators Tester and Baucus and Congressman Rehberg

RX1MountainMan

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Harlowton, MT
Dear Governor Schweitzer;

I would like to let you know that I will not be voting for you in the next election unless something is done to re-open areas recently closed to motorized recreation under the recent rounds of Travel Planning by the U.S. Forest Service. It is absolutely inexcusable for the U.S. Forest Service to cart Blanche close down areas and to have Federal Judges support everything the Environmental Groups want. I am a tax payer as are all motorized users. We (motorized users) have strong belief in family values, hard work and the right to be able to enjoy public lands that our tax dollars have paid for. Every time these Travel Plans get updated we get shut out of more and more land. I know for a fact that both the Forest Supervisor and his Deputy on the Lewis & Clark National Forest that “it doesn’t matter what people want I (Spike Thompson) have the final decision” on travel planning. This is absolutely not acceptable!

Until I see changes on the ground your efforts to keep our public lands open I will not vote for you or support you in any way! I will pass this message to all motorized user groups so the can do the same.

Sincerely,

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
good stuff. I'll consider the same type of correspondence.

M
Oct 1, 2002
Montana
My letter to Senator Tester about supporting a "new" wilderness bill

I have sent the following to Senator Tester and copied to Senator Baucus and Representative Rehberg.

:::
January 31, 2008

Dear Senator Tester,

There is rumor that you as an elected spokesman for the voting public and general population of Montana are considering walking the Beaverhead Partnership anti-access wilderness bill to the floor of Congress for consideration. The Montana wilderness group has titled this the : BEAVERHEAD-DEERLODGE CONSERVATION,
RESTORATION AND STEWARDSHIP ACT OF 2007.
The wilderness advocates know that elements of the strategy require Congressional authorization so they started their drafts, one being completed in January of 2007 and a second being targeted for completion in October or November 2007. They have made it very well known that because they have the paid staff to complete the process, big money backing them and political-ins, that they have been fully engaged with soliciting a Montanan to do their bidding. In speaking with you and staff from your Montana offices a number of times this past year about the misinformation process ((this continues with much of what they say on their website--:for instance snowmobile associations have not signed on to support this measure-only one snowmobile club from Deer Lodge, home of one of the timber companies felt pressured into endorsing this measure)); the so called partnership has developed in attempting to gain support for this wilderness endeavor, I have attempted and I know others have also to impress upon you that this “closed door” partnership is not in the best interest of the citizens of Montana or of the U.S. The “partnership” has provided misinformation about how they have gained support, who they have gained support from and the end that their actions will bring by touting their process of “bringing a mixed and varied group of opposing groups together”. Their “collaborative” effort is admirable but is short sighted and should be recognized to be ONLY A STARTING POINT. To misinform that they have recognized all segments of the population just that-misinformation.
As a Montana registered voter, as a spokes person for 2600+ Snowmobile Alliance of Western States members, and participant in many and varied activities within the Beaverhead-DeerLodge National Forest, I am disappointed to learn you may consider actually supporting such a short sighted plan. Attempting to "protect" public forestlands under the disguise of partners coming togeher is of itself, misleading and misrepresentative of the citizens of Montana. This measure is not responsible use of our public lands or the management there of. The USDA- Forest Service is directed to “manage the national forest for outdoor recreation, range, timber, watershed, and fish and wildlife purposes.” under the Multiple-Use Sustained Yield Act of 1960. A limited private interest partnership undermines federal laws not to mention the public trust. Privatization of public land management is a slippery slope that should be avoided at all costs.
The Beaverhead Partnership is by no means a partnership among the stakeholders in the Beaverhead-Deerlodge National Forest. It is a last ditch effort representative of private interest with financial gain for some, and of a close minded management fashion for most others. While the partnership will have you believe that recreational interests have been considered, they have not! The systematic exclusion from this partnership by recreational interests has to do with the foundation these groups hold that the direction the partnership presents is not in the best interest of the people. The partnership has made feeble attempts to involve the recreation community but has done so in a way that all voices are not heard and misinformation provided to these “small groups” tends to influence decisions that there is more involvement by the recreational community than there is. Timber companies who participated in this agreement are content to sacrifice timber harvest because as many of us know their new strategy is to subdivide their holdings and make their money off of selling their holdings. It’s a win-win for them with a long-term future for a short-term supply of timber and money in the bank when they sell their land that has been either traded, held or contrived in an “exchange”. Their are many families that depend upon the sustainability of active forest management to utilize an abundant resource for the good of all concerned. Are these timber companies committing to providing a future forest to manage responsibly for all? No!
The partners have their way of presenting data while from a purely factual point of view here are a few facts as they appear from the National Visitor Use Monitoring Project. If looking at recreation only there is no justification for establishing additional Wilderness Areas. Data clearly shows that in Region 1, 20% of National Forest lands are Designated Wilderness Areas, but fewer than 4% of all forest visitors go there and that number appears to be steadily declining. The Beaverhead DeerLodge National Forest holds an even more impressive 7% of the forest currently being Designated Wilderness, but fewer than 1% of all forest visitors go there. The NVUM data on this issue are straight forward and clear. There is existing wilderness areas to adequately meet the present and future needs of the public who require a quiet primitive forest recreational experience. A negative effect will result if creating more wilderness in the Beaverhead DeerLodge National Forest occurs. A devastating net effect of crowding 99% of forest recreational visitors into smaller and smaller areas with adverse effects on the resources will be the end result which will likely lead to discontinuation of access or a “limited” number of people being allowed to access areas at a given time. This will result in reducing the quality of experience for the overwhelming majority of Montanans and others who visit or recreate within the Beaverhead DeerLodge National Forest.
Wilderness advocates claim and misinform by professing wilderness areas are the true source for clean air and water. What prevents wilderness areas from being subject to the adverse effect of say “wild fire”. Wilderness burns just like other areas. Air quality certainly suffers and long term effects can be seen by erosion that results from burn areas not being able to support the climate changes that follows. Fire destroys entire watersheds and riparian areas resulting in countless tons of sediment entering our streams and lakes. We have a fighting chance to manage this situation in a non-wilderness area. Technology and management practices exist to remediate the conditions. Active management of forest resources is specifically prohibited in Wilderness Areas. Making more wilderness areas dooms those areas to burn with consequential damage to air and water quality. Is this really what we want for a healthy, resourceful forest? As for clean water, climate makes snowpack being the single most important factor of having clean water. Creating more wilderness does not influence climate· Our most effective method for managing the quantity and quality of wildlife is through hunting and trapping. These methods for managing our wildlife have proven to be effective time and again throughout history on public as well as on private lands in Montana and many other states. Hunting and trapping regulations have little effect in Wilderness Areas because there are too few of those who can afford the expense to hunt or trap in wilderness.
With friends, family and often by myself I enjoy the resources of the Beaverhead DeerLodge National Forest for hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, and for motorized recreation as well. Many people use a mechanical or motorized means to get to their hunting, fishing, camping or hiking spot. They should not be denied this access. Motorized recreation in itself is a truly satisfying way to experience access in the Beaverhead DeerLodge National Forest. Snowmobiling is truly a sport of unparalleled comparison and sets itself aside from other motorized recreation in study after study as it has shown to be the least invasive to nature with consideration of impact to land, watershed and all forms of wildlife. Tracks laid down over a blanket of snow disappear as the snowpack melts away. I ask you as a citizen of Montana to recognize that creating more Wilderness in the Beaverhead DeerLodge National Forest will only limit access to the forest and decrease the quality of experience in the Forest for myself, my family, friends and all that visit Montana to experience the wide array of recreational opportunities this tremendous resource affords to all of us. Please do not sponsor, endorse, nor vote in favor of any legislation which creates more Wilderness in the B-D National Forest.
Sincerely,

Premium Features