• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

xt550 snowbike?

Oct 28, 2018
so I am picking up a xt550 that needs some work since its a barn find but I am wanting to make a kit out of a 120ish length skid but what I am wondering is if in your opinion it will spin a track well enough to keep up with other snow bikes in not to extreme of terrain and also if you know of any 120 tracks with lugs on the somewhat bigger side.

ravenous

Lifetime Membership
Oct 21, 2013
It's true.The 550 won't make the greatest snowbike. But it would be a cool project. A couple of years ago I saw an XT500 snowbiike. It looked awesome,
but was just built for photos, I guess. Heres what I did to an old 550. It is NOT stock and absolutely rips. It will give a new 450 a run for it's money.

Attachments

• yamaha.JPG
    yamaha.JPG
    225.1 KB · Views: 99
Oct 28, 2018
ok thanks for the feed back ill still probably try it cause I live in the UP so it wont need to be a powder machine

yooper01

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2014
ok thanks for the feed back ill still probably try it cause I live in the UP so it wont need to be a powder machine
I've been on snowbikes in Marquette county for 5 years.

My most recent build was a 570 ktm rfs engine with a lot of power. It had tons more butt Dyno power than my xr650r, ktm 530Excr, or yz 450.

I never rode it with wheels, but I honestly think the bottom end power feels as strong if not stronger than my 950 adventure.

I think an xt550 is an awesome bike, but you will be disappointed...even in the u.p.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Oct 28, 2018
I live in the eup so we usually have a lot less snow then the western end and less terrain not to hate on the up and the other thing is my other snowbike is a homemade kit on a atc200 witharound 12 ponies so this should be a step up no matter what

N
Jan 3, 2008
Northern Utah
I live in the eup so we usually have a lot less snow then the western end and less terrain not to hate on the up and the other thing is my other snowbike is a homemade kit on a atc200 witharound 12 ponies so this should be a step up no matter what

Definitely an upgrade! haha. Did the ski end up working ok on the 200 for you?

WyoUltra

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Casper, WY
You should just do it because it's something you want to do. The only person that needs to like it is you, doesn't matter on the power level, doesn't matter on the handling. Worst case scenario, you learn from this to improve your next build.

Premium Features