• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Low Profile Seat

T

T.O.T.

Dec 26, 2012
I don't have one on my sled but have ridden another sled with a low profile seat and loved it! Considering having my seat shaved down like they do motorcross seats to see if it helps the ease of getting across

I

IdahoCrystal

Sep 5, 2008
Gem State
I strongly recommend this, especially if you have shorter legs. I'm 5'8" and it makes a big difference to me.
I had about 2.5 inches shaved off my seat at one of our local upholstery places. That was as much as I could shave and still maintain seat integrity. It may not seem like much but it's the difference between a seat at the knee or at the calf on my sled and getting a boot from one side to the other quickly, especially if you're at all fatigued.
:face-icon-small-hap

C
May 6, 2013
Boulder, CO
Pics?

Hey there! Super helpful to hear from someone who had done a seat mod... Can you share a pic of what you had done, I'm very interested in this... i'm riding an older sled because i struggle with jumping over the high back of new machines... i think this would be a game changer for me! :)

I strongly recommend this, especially if you have shorter legs. I'm 5'8" and it makes a big difference to me.
I had about 2.5 inches shaved off my seat at one of our local upholstery places. That was as much as I could shave and still maintain seat integrity. It may not seem like much but it's the difference between a seat at the knee or at the calf on my sled and getting a boot from one side to the other quickly, especially if you're at all fatigued.
:face-icon-small-hap

I

IdahoCrystal

Sep 5, 2008
Gem State
I will try to get a pic posted - wish I had seen this before the snow show - I'd have taken one on an unmoded seat so you could see the difference. Not sure how well it'll show w/out a reference.

Tablet / tapatalk

I

IdahoCrystal

Sep 5, 2008
Gem State
Not sure how much this shows, but these are both same cat seats - mine on right.

syta7etu.jpg

su8ypuvu.jpg

Tablet / tapatalk

C
May 6, 2013
Boulder, CO
Thank you!

Thanks so much lady!!!! i needed to see what was done, the pics absolutely help out. i'm 5'4 and leaping across sled seats is quite a workout and feels limiting of what sleds i feel i can ride... the seat mod will be the first thing that i will work on when i get a sled of my very own this spring (have to wait for tax refund season)... i'm so excited to have a sled that fits ME

Not sure how much this shows, but these are both same cat seats - mine on right.

syta7etu.jpg

su8ypuvu.jpg

Tablet / tapatalk

M

Modedmach1

Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks, Alaska
Here is what we had done to my wife's. Cut about 10 inches in length & 3 inches shorter. Hopefully she will chime in here on the difference it made. Doing it this way also allowed her to keep the battery in the stock location.

wjl

Lifetime Membership
Mar 29, 2008
Eden, UTAH
About how much did it cost to have this modification done.
Is it less than $350.00, cost of a new 2 inch lower wrp seat?
Thanks

iroc1132

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2008
SE Idaho
price

About how much did it cost to have this modification done.
Is it less than $350.00, cost of a new 2 inch lower wrp seat?
Thanks

I think it was $50 or $60 to have IdahoCrystals stock seat shaved down. We had it done last year so I don't remember exactly. It was well worth the money though and made a huge difference in her ability to get a leg over the seat without getting boot hung up.

wjl

Lifetime Membership
Mar 29, 2008
Eden, UTAH
Thanks
I will look into this, good bang for the buck. I think it will help being I am 5'5" and not getting any younger.

Last edited:
W

Woops!

Mar 13, 2011
Fairbanks, AK
My seat looked like Crystals in the above photos before the cutdown. Had the top cut down & took length off the back...if I didn't need electric start we would've cut the battery box off too....cost was 200 because of cutting both top & length and needing new material because I wanted all black...the open space between battery & seat is about where my toe goes when moving back & forth.....works much better. Had a stubby seat on my M7 which was great as my foot would go behind the seat when crossing over.

K

kiki

Nov 27, 2007
Lake Stevens, wa
I ride with a low profile seat from WRP. It's a life saver because I am not very tall. I could not get my legs over the stock seat because it is way to tall and wide.

W

Wowmom

Feb 10, 2013
Texas
You convinced me....

After the promise of being "taller and yougner" I ordered a WRP seat for my SummitX. Woooooo Hooooo :face-icon-small-ton

B
Oct 22, 2015
Michigan
2016 XRS

Hey Ladies, so glad to have found this thread! Anyone modify a 2016 Ski-doo seat yet? My boyfriend does not understand the difference it will make for me...but he is not 5'2 and trying to jump to the other side all bundled up either!

I put the new 2016 free-ride seat on it and even that made a different in crossover clearance.

W

Wowmom

Feb 10, 2013
Texas
BraapBrat -- I had the WRP low rider seat on my 14' Doo. Loved it. I hopped on my hubby's sled with stock seat and promptly fell off as soon as I started boondocking. Bruised my pride, in my opinion a Doo seat would be easy to modify if you don't have the funds to purchase a WRP seat. (WRP seat is amazing)

Lower seat rocked my world, changed my riding style and habits. Wont ride with out one now.

Premium Features