• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

155 vs 163 for beginner

K
Oct 7, 2018
Hi Everyone,

I have been riding for the last couple of years and have finally decided to purchase my first mountain sled. I am not a high marker and am still learning how to ride. I’m 5’7” 180# fully geared. Can anyone help me understand why one would be better than the other for a beginner my size?

Thanks in advance.

bobback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2008
"The Last Best Place"
155 - turns sharper

Unless you are riding super deep powder, with these newer sleds you don't have to worry about getting stuck.

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
As a noobie you will get stuck, regardless of the length of the track, until you learn to ride in deep snow. I prefer a 155 but it does come with the risk of easier stucks occasionaly. Your best bet is to try and ride both and feel how they move before buying your own if possible.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Whatever's the best deal, if you're buying used, IMO. You'll still get stuck when it's too deep or you screw up and you'll still learn how to ride.
Of course the bigger track will get stuck a bit less and it will also dig a deeper trench to get out of. 6 in one half dozen the other.
The important part is getting out there.

Snowman.PRO.

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2015
MN
I rode with a beginner last year a axys 155. This persons skill was very low, and if you are anywhere like him, I'd get a 163 so you aren't getting stuck in the flats near as much. If you goal is to just ride around and have a good time, then also a 163, a 155 is going to be more playful though, but again, this might be for a more experienced rider. Good luck with your choice, either one will do fine. but I'd go 163. :)

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
If you are really riding in the mountains, the goal is to keep the newer rider having fun. Getting stuck isn't fun. Not getting stuck is fun.

...with that said, the answer should be obvious. Go Longer. As others have said, 163, or even a 174.

The shorter tracks are more fun, but require more skill to keep them from getting stuck, especially as you get into gnarlier terrain.

To be honest, having ridden all three, I've had the best luck teaching people on Ski-Doos. Plus, SHOT is a really nice feature when you are trying to keep people from blowing up physically...

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
I would buy whichever you can get for the right price. If you are serious about more mountain riding after doing it a few times, buy an aftermarket skid/shocks and extend at that time if you feel the need. Aftermarket skid/shocks are so much nicer than stock setup, they come at a price though unless you can find used which can be tough.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
It's easy to overthink this. If you're intent on riding in the really deep stuff, longer will help, but I'd say to look for the best deal you can afford on a sled that's been taken care of. Plenty of good advice going both ways here, but given that the OP has some riding experience, I'd guess he'll pick up a lot quicker than a brand new rider. Whatever you get, there's a good chance you'll end up either going to a different sled or doing some swapping and upgrading down the road anyway.

MDEVO

Chic Chocs Addicts
Lifetime Membership
Oct 21, 2011
Oshawa, ON,Canada
Hi Everyone,

I have been riding for the last couple of years and have finally decided to purchase my first mountain sled. I am not a high marker and am still learning how to ride. I’m 5’7” 180# fully geared. Can anyone help me understand why one would be better than the other for a beginner my size?

Thanks in advance.

I think a lot of the decision depends on where you intend to ride.
If in trees I would start on a longer skid, as it will help you learn the basics of sidehilling without the sled wanting to climb, (163/174very stable) as well as having a bit more traction to help get you out of trouble.
I think if you are free riding and riding bigger mountains the longer skid is a better choice as well.

Once your skills improve (may take a few seasons), move back to a 155 as it is the sweet spot for length IMHO For East Coast Tree Riding.

The last couple guys in our group started on BRP XM’s but quickly changed to RMK’s as they just work better in steep trees.

I found the BRP’s were better for more open free riding than the RMK’s, but it is whatever feels best for you, and your ability to control the sled....

Good luck!

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I have two 18’ 800 axys completely stock. One is a 155 the other 163. My 14 and 17 yo boys trade off and ride both. As far as ability to turn they can’t tell the difference, for a new rider. Once off trail they like the 163 better because in deep snow the longer track is just easier and more forgiving. Personally if you really want to do off trail riding I’d get a 174. You will almost never get stuck with that track and your days (your friends you ride with dsys) will be more enjoyable.

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
You want a 155", with your size. Only a 163", if it's a smokin' deal. Otherwise, not necessary. Please don't get a 174", they suck, way too long. When you stick a 174", it really gets stuck. They don't turn nearly as well as a shorter track and the resale is terrible.

A 155" will get you wherever you want to go. If you constantly get stuck, it's not a longer track you need, just more talent.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Hi Everyone,

Thanks in advance.

Every answer you get will just be guys justifying their own purchases.
Take it with a grain of salt. (And refer to where the rider is coming from) IE old guy vs young guy, aggressive rider vs laid back rider, meadow muffin vs backcountry slayer.

Consider what you want to do with the sled. (Shorter for jumping and poser wheelies) longer for steeper terrain and less stucks/ washouts and better ski control.

Then shop the seller. And buy from an old guy who stored his sled indoors, used an enclosed trailer and carefully warmed the sled up everytime.
(Not the 19 year old working in The oilfields)

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
+1 on "shopping the seller." A neighbor bought an XM Summit from an "old boy" a year or two ago, and even though it's got 4k some odd miles, you have to look close to find a scratch on it. Mine was like that when I got it too (and it's still pretty good). Not that a great looking sled can't be hiding anything, but pretty good chance that if what you can see is rough, so is what you can't. Not that a sled that's been rode hard can't be any good, but definitely a place to step carefully.

S
Feb 21, 2009

On the sleds these days is cheating and don't need a 163 unless all you ride is deep pow, 90% on time 155 works and get less beat up ha.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
At least match up with what the guys you ride with are riding. If they are all on 174's, don't show up with a 155.

If you end up with a 155 and the group rides 163's don't be expecting to break trail for them very often.

W
Dec 3, 2007
Casper, Wyoming
Just a thought on my part, could you find somewhere to rent a 155 as well as a 163 so you could have an actual feel for each one?

It has been years since I have rode any sled. If I were to get back into riding that is what I would try to do.

One other thought, maybe your near by dealer has a couple of demo’s you could try out.

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
Go with the 19 for the new front end..
Not much difference between 155/163
If you want to explore and drop into deep areas go with 174

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features