• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

what pistons for 05 800? dual or single ring?

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
Stock OEM 06 pistons and rings.

I learned the hard way. Installed SPI, Ring pin came out, cyl gone. Installed new cyl and new SPI. Other cyl, pin came out, another new cyl and lower end rebuild. New dual ring SPI, Pin came out, new cyl and crank bearing. 75% failure rate for SPI.

D

ANYTIME the ring pin comes out (any piston brand) its from DETO...add a thicker base gasket/raise octane to eleiminate...BJ

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
I put the MCB duals in a friends sled and they lasted a few minutes. Musta been a crappy set. The ring caught a port and popped the piston dome off. Luckily the pieces flew out of the exhaust and not into the crank. Cylinders didn't take the hit either. Talk about lucky. Put the stockers back in. Compression was pretty good considering.

I felt bad but I hope he sent the back to Big John and got replacements.

or put in backwards :face-icon-small-win-BJ

B

blk9038

Aug 8, 2011
puyallup/edgewood
Thanks BJ, guess my mech knew this already and was talking about installing these pistons instead of the wiseco or some other brand, glad you cleared up some of the issues i feel alot better about going for a duel ring piston now.

eddy

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
Sammamish WA
Piston Replacement

What is the standard practice on these cylinders to properly prep for new pistons and rings?

R

rev_rider800

Jan 23, 2011
minneapols mn
Shr installation instructions verbatim:

What is the standard practice on these cylinders to properly prep for new pistons and rings?

Bj/shr installation instruction:

1. Install pistons, cylinders, head (or whole engine) per SKI-DOO manual specs. Before installing your cylinder, be sure to wash it with hot soapy water. The crosshatch in your NSC surface will trap dirt & grime, so please be very thorough. Less than thorough cleaning could result in scuffing, scoring, irregular wear, or seizure of the piston to cylinder walls. After washing, use compressed air to blow out all passages in the cylinder to ensure it is completely dry. SHR final cylinder prep: First use WD-40 to wipe bore out. Second, use 2 stroke oil liberally and thoroughly wipe entire bore at least 2 times prior to the assembly.

Lefty

R

rev_rider800

Jan 23, 2011
minneapols mn
So no hone or finish work?

Good call...if you are going to hone, bj uses 320 grit flex ball hone WITH honing oil!!! Once finished, prep cylinders as previously described.

If you have access to appropriate tools, you may wanna check/verify clearances

Lefty

S
Dec 19, 2013
Here are some pics of an OEM piston from my 05' 800 HO. The pin works it's way into the piston and allows the ring to move until it tags an exhaust port. Happened twice in 2000 mi. Went with RK TEC drop in kit, dual ring pistons and better head.

good piston.jpg Bad piston.jpg Look inside 1.jpg

Premium Features